is this problem normal?????

TheWesser

I have just taken my car for its 15,000 first service. One of the problems i have is excessive ware on the outside front tyres. VW have told me this is normal but the tyres have no tread at all on the outside, its completly worn. I also have been told that if i want all the wheeles re aligned it will cost £305 Surly this comes in the warrenty.

Had you noticed the wear earlier, you might have gotten away with it (I had all four tyres replaced under warranty at 9,000 miles) - but 15,000 miles is actually not bad going for Touaregs. You can try to argue the cost of the alignment though, as many Tregs have been found to have the wrong settings when they leave the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

My Touareg has even wear on all four tyres and has nearly 18k miles. They still have lots of tread left too. I do check it regulalry and would encourage other owners to do so, those tyres are not cheap!

Uneven tread is a well documented issue with the Touareg, and VW and Dealers know all about it. It would seem that alot of vehicles come from the factory with badly aligned wheels, and then display severe wear on the tyres.

Another issue has been the dreaded stepper motor issue which struggles to transfer power to the front diff etc so causing inreased wear on tyres and a kind of binding, juddering or hopping at slow speeds. This destroys the front tyres before the rears too.....

They know what this is and they are chuffed to pieces that you didnt catch it earlier. It might be worth calling VW directly and complaining that a car of this price etc shouldnt be broken this quickly, go on line and research on VWvortex.com and clubtouareg.com to back up your argument

Good Luck. frown.gif