What is the best cooper s conversion ....?

mlilley

All,

Typicall of all aftermarket conversions ,

" our is best , won'y invalidate warranty " etc etc etc etc

Whats everybodys thoughts, which one is best and which one is the most fun ...?

I have the Hartge and so far its been great, i just love pi**ing all over Lotus elises etc ( especially as i once owned one ! ).

Matt.

I'd agree , the hartge conversion is the best thing you can do to the cooper s, its gives it the power it deserves.

The chassis is far too good for the standard car, without the traction control the car goes bonkers, amazing fun.

For all you doubters spend the money , for me £1800 is a bargain compared to the Cooper Works kit, arguably it is actually quicker !

Only just last night a BMW 328 learnt a very harsh lession, don't even think about unless its an M3 of course !

Check out this months EVO mag, they have a mini with IIRC 236bhp, which they reckon is a great conversion. They actually rate it over the Hartge, and works in terms of value for money.

The guys that do it are the old skool tuners BBR. They used to do an official turbo conversion on the old Mazda MX5's, and used to tinker with Fords a lot!

ECLIPSe.gif

• 1 month later...

hey guys, I currently own a civic si and am looking to get rid of it for a cooper s. I will want to do a conversion to it to give it some more hp...I've been reading about the different kits for it (Works(from OEM right?), Hartage, Hamman) but don't know the specs on each. Could you guys post up what each kits does and usually costs (in US?), and typically what they'll see for times in the 1/4mi. Thanks a bunch!!!

The John Cooper Works upgrade is supposed to be the best in terms of driveability and reliability.

It's also the most expensive, it may not be the most powerful but that is where my money would go as it is warranty approved and would undoubtably be the best bet come resale time.

anyone else wonder how much you can chip that tiny little engine/supercharger w/o something blowing? do any of these conversions upgrade clutch / gearbox etc?

seems similar to putting 1.8bar+ through an S3 turbo imho

(still fancy an S as a car for the missus though beerchug.gif)