AP Racing big brake conversion - MK5 GTI!

s1brt

I've recently been to see AP Racing in Coventry to help them develop a big brake conversion for the GTI. grin.gif

My biggest concern with upgrading the brakes was whether or not they would fit under my 18" Monza 2's for everyday driving. confused.gif

The bottom line is that they do! jump.gifHowever,AP are keen to see if the kit will fit under the 17" rims,too.Are there any of you guys out there running the OE 17" wheels,local to Coventry,who are prepared to give up an hour on a Friday afternoon to help them out?They are also looking for a similarily helpful person with a new R32 to do the same exercise with! wink.gif

Cheers Si.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, in what way are you critical of the standard Mk5 GTI brakes? I'm not saying the car wouldn't benefit from such an upgrade (I modded my suspension!)....I'm genuinely interested.

Actually, having now just seen your sig I can see that with an AmD Stage 3 you need bigger discs!! Milltek Hi-flow on yours? Res or Non-Res?

Duh! Robin! Duh!....It's SiBurt....+++ I didn't realise.

Hi Robin.

I'm not overly critical of the standard brakes but I'm fed up with the half inch of dead travel and I'm pretty certain that the standard set-up won't cope with the punishment I've got in mind for the car this year! grin.gif

Plus,I've had AP's on my last three cars so I'm used to a stronger brake! 169144-ok.gif

That's just the point Robin.Although they offer a larger 345mm disc,Petsy,I dont think that the braking power or ultimate resistance to fade will be much improved over the GTI's.

On top of that you have to factor in the cost.The AP system,I have ordered,with grooved 330mm discs,6 pot calipers (in red wink.gif),braided hoses,Ferodo DS 2500 pads and racing fluid will set me back £1700 + VAT.I'm pretty sure that the R32 brakes from VW will not be cheap,will not offer the improved performance that I am looking for and have a blue caliper!

[ QUOTE ]

Bit ott but.

I still don't understand why VW don't just fit AP or brembo as standard to there high performance models. Its not like they don't already have an account with them as they fit them too SEAT cupra/R!!.

[/ QUOTE ]

The brakes on the MkIV R32 were actually Brembo IIRC...

[ QUOTE ]

Bit ott but.

I still don't understand why VW don't just fit AP or brembo as standard to there high performance models. Its not like they don't already have an account with them as they fit them too SEAT cupra/R!!.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I agree with you but the same could be said for the suspension. The KoniFSD+Eibach setup matches the Mk5's performance much better and makes a great car even greater.

[ QUOTE ]

....I agree with you but the same could be said for the suspension. The KoniFSD+Eibach setup matches the Mk5's performance much better and makes a great car even greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends some people may not agree its all down to the end user.

I have read reviews of cars fitted with the 18s getting coments about the ride so who knows what the general car mag reviews would make of uprated suspension.

I know the SEAT brand in the VW group has always been classed as the more sporty brand and had slightly harder more biased to handling suspension than there Golf counterparts and often suffer in reviews because of it.

I see from the spy photos of the new SEAT Leon Cupra 240PS its fitted with 4pot brembo big brakes and probably like older versions of the cupraR running sachs SEATsport tunned suspension. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm talking KoniFSD not ordinairy dampers/shocks that compromise the ride either one way or the other. They are instantly smart reactive and I challenge anyone to say that they aren't a big improvement after driving with them on the GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then Red, lend me your car until mine arrives (mid March) and I'll let you know jump.gif

Quote : caught a glimpse of Jays at the weekend. I thought who's that fat feck in his GTI squashing down the suspension , then i saw the quads!

Ok, so the new years resolution diet isnt quite going to plan smile.gif

did i flash you or was it in the driveway? only ask cos i flashed 3 gti's at the weekend and not one of the meatheads had the curtasy to flash back or wave....thats essex for you !!!!