AP Racing big brake conversion - MK5 GTI!

s1brt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

car is running good. still the occasional hesitation but after red was so kind as to let me drive his i noticed its the dsg box.

theres no way i could go back to the standard car as after driving reds i was left feeling more than happy with mine. the standard seems to have no real pull over 3500 rpm. felt very very flat.

[ QUOTE ]

did i flash you or was it in the driveway? only ask cos i flashed 3 gti's at the weekend and not one of the meatheads had the curtasy to flash back or wave....thats essex for you !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I flashed you! grin.gif

I was coming from the mini roundabouts down towards the dual carridgeway.

You went straight on and i went right (where i proceeded to destroy a lippy transit van grin.gif ) I would have stopped to let you pull out mate, but then i thought, na, your not blonde, it's essex, it's not the done thing! ha.gif

It was saturday afternoon!

hello si,

how are you? long time no see smile.gif

yeah brakes will be my next mod. have to save up a bit first though. have you had yours done? if so what would you reccomend?

are you going to the bedford track meet? i know youve been before. can just two of us turn up (do they have open days or does it have to be group organised?

[ QUOTE ]

i know you keep avoiding the question of a meet and a little country road blast. did you speak to your mate about the aeradrome run?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't do the little country road blasts like I used to mate. Aerodrome run is interesting though, i'll have to hook up with him again... haven't seen him for a while grin.gif169144-ok.gif

got a kid on the way shocked.gif so lots of stuff to do and very little time to do it crazy.gif

see you around!

Si. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

hello si,

how are you? long time no see smile.gif

yeah brakes will be my next mod. have to save up a bit first though. have you had yours done? if so what would you reccomend?

are you going to the bedford track meet? i know youve been before. can just two of us turn up (do they have open days or does it have to be group organised?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jay.

Brakes first:No,but I have ordered them and they should be available to fit towards the end of the month,in time for the GTI/R32 meet at Bedford. grin.gif

I'm off to AMD on Saturday morning to have some FSD's fitted along with some H&R anti-roll bars which should compliment my current H&R springs nicely!I was really impressed with the way your car drove especially when pushing on abit! wink.gif

As far as trackdays are concerned,you can book to go on any organised trackday,so group bookings are not a necessity.If you fancy doing one before Bedford,let me know.

By the way,I'm glad to hear that your car is running as you want it to now!

Hi Robin,I'll see you tomorrow afternoon at AP Racing!

Si.

I met up with SiBurt and one of AP Racing's most experienced Race Engineers Friday afternoon and learnt a heck of a lot about brakes. Also got to physically handle Veyron calipers and F1 carbon clutches etc - Either of which are objects of true beauty and would make wonderful coffee table ornaments!

Yes, I can confirm that AP's brakes will also just fit the 17" OEM alloy jump.gif In due course, after I have checked with what AP are happy to let me publicise at this stage, I'll report more detail.

One huge advantage of AP's brakes, apart from their sheer performance and durability, is that if you have 17s or 18s on your GTI you don't have to also spend serious money on larger alloys if you want to upgrade your brakes.

Thanks SiBurt....A hugely enjoyable afternoon and education and great contact. Together with Car Control course, AP Racing's brakes could be my next mod. In fact it might be a better idea to do the course with modded brakes to get the full benefit. 169144-ok.gif

Thanks Robin,it was really great meeting you too,and I am pleased that you had a good afternoon! 169144-ok.gifHow did you find the drive back with your new seating position?

Guys,this really is great news because as Robin has already stated,it doesn't matter what size of factory fit wheels you are running as the kit will fit both! jump.gif

petsy - No, should be done all round and including braided hoses and change to higher quality brake fluid.

SiBurt - Excellent tip you gave me about lowering seat to lowest possible. Feels faster! Weird! Feels as if I'm more planted. Now I know that not all the other GTI drivers I see on the road are all short-asses! grin.gif

The kits themselves are a direct bolt-on replacement of the front brakes and comprise of grooved 330mm discs,larger 4 or 6 pot calipers in red and white or black and yellow,Ferodo DS2500 pads,braided hoses and racing fluid.

As the fronts handle 90% of the braking,the need to upgrade the rear brakes isn't essential.However,as Robin has just stated,you can replace the rear hoses for braided items from Goodrich and fit the same Ferodo pads to the standard calipers if you want.Personally,I probably won't bother doing either!

Si.

Here we go chaps,straight from the horses mouth so to speak! wink.gif

Mk 5 Golf GTi / TDi Brake kits list prices.

CP5200 (4-pot kit).

Black Calipers £1396.26 + vat.

Red Calipers £1415.56 + vat.

CP5570 (6-pot kit).

Black Calipers £1683.40 + vat.

Red Calipers £1703.91 + vat.

The bonus being both kits fit under the GTi standard 17" an optional 18 "

rims , as we now know. grin.gif