Haldex controller

lottiefox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re wheel alignment, when Ray West (West Tuning/Thruxton) fitted Eibach ARBs to my Mk5 GTI he asked me to take the car out for a couple of miles to settle the new suspension (included KoniFSD and Eibach springs) and on my return he checked the alignments with a laser. I therefore deduce that checking alignment must be important.

I know mine is neither 4WD nor a Turtle, Lottie, but upgrading the ARBs etc has made a huge difference in handling and braking (no nose dive). I imagine the same benefits would apply to your TT. 169144-ok.gif

I have an S3 with an Eibach ARB up front and Eibach Pro-Street S suspension. I had it re-mapped recently, and the extra power really makes the 4wd system and power transfer apparent. Flooring it in third makes the car lift and torque steer, there's a definate front wheel bias.

I'm taking it in to have the haldex and Forge adjustable rear tie-arms fitted next week - I'll let you know what difference it makes.

You will notice big changes with the Haldex PPP 169144-ok.gif

Why are you replacing the rear arms Chris? I totally understand that they're designed to allow you to reduce the camber on the rear wheels when the car's been lowered, but I've spoken to several tuners and race teams about this and very few of them have them installed - even the BBT R32 which is lowered as much as possible and has 60mm ground clearance doesn't run them.

beerchug.gif

The reasons for doing the rear arms are fairly obvious, I'm surprised more people haven't done it.

When I lowered the car by 30mm, the negative camber at the rear incresed to about -2°. With power reaching the rears quicker and more often once the HPP is installed, it's better to return the camber to the factory setting to give a flatter contact patch for the tyre. This should also help keep tyre wear even.

The suspension I'm running should allow me to drop the car by 50mm in total, although I'm saving that for the track. The slammed look isn't that great on the street. The tie-arms should give me the alround tweakability that I'm after.

I'm actually looking to reduce neg camber, not increase it. I'm hoping for a more stable rear push under accelleration, as well as the ability to dial out any understeer, or dail in a little oversteer.

Just driven home after having the Haldex PP and rear-tie arms fitted, and feck, what a difference!

Living this far north normally guarantees wet and slimey roads and today was just right to get a good feel for the new mods. It's hard to describe but any feeling of understeer has completely gone. Under acceleration, where the car used to lift a little and squirm, it now feels utterly planted. The push it gives feels stronger, although I had no more engine mods.

With the digital re-alignment, the cost came in at £1k. I lot, but an excellent compliment to the other mods. Worth doing!

[ QUOTE ]

Mook, thank you loads for that description and explanation! I am on a whole new learning curve...... grin.gif

So, if I were to get the Haldex controller fitted it would make sense to change the ARBs too? or will I still feel a difference with the haldex mod only? smile.gif

This decision impacts on my budget for my summer topless runaround! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lottie, from one grrl to another - do it! It is the single best thing you can do to improve the handling of your VAG Haldex toy. It is made by haldex specifically to give the generation 1 Haldex systems the behaviour they should have exhibited from the factory on day 1. 169144-ok.gif

I have fitted the HPP to my .:R32 and it is quite different to drive. You notice less understeer, and far more neutral cornering stance while under power. I really noticed a big difference in the wet (it bucketed down the night I got mine fitted), as it gave the car a far more balanced stance and loads more traction.

I haven't uprated the suspension, or tweaked rollbars and so on - only put a stiffer uretahne bushing into the dogbone engine mount to reduce engine lash (fore-aft movement) under heavy acceleration.

coffee.gif

( ...and before any of you guys accuse me of driving like a girl - I get barely 9500km out of my front tyres, and that is with the ESP left active. the_finger.gif )

[ QUOTE ]

( ...and before any of you guys accuse me of driving like a girl - I get barely 9500km out of my front tyres, and that is with the ESP left active. the_finger.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was goin to say hats off to you girl in having the Haldex tweaked....which seems to indicate you likes to drive ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

and before any of you guys accuse me of driving like a girl - I get barely 9500km out of my front tyres, and that is with the ESP left active

[/ QUOTE ]

Rachel, you drive like such a girl. You get as much as 9500km from a set of front tyres? Pah... tongue.gif