Haldex controller

lottiefox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had the Haldex PP controller installed by Neil Garner.

Thanks for the recommendation R32Tim! Neil Garner is a sound bloke who knows plenty about high performance cars. I'm sure several years working for Arrows & Renault F1 as a race engineer helped...

He also tweaked my wheel alignment - it was set up for a bit of toe out, so no wonder it was scrubbing front tyres on the inside edge. It now has a couple of degrees of toe in. No thanks to a certain VW stealer in Spalding who said "all R32s wear their fronts on the inside. The alignment is fine." Fine, my buttcheeks.gif

Haven't really had an empty road to test the handling properly yet but I did manage to have some fun on a roundabout! Apologies to the elderly driver of a blue Land Cruiser in Cirencester who I went sideways past blush.gif

Some advice to anyone who wants a Haldex upgrade or a Miltek exhaust - apparently both are on back order with a 4 - 6 week wait from the UK supplier.

I will post my comments on how the Haldex has improved the handling in a day or two when I have finished testing it out wink.gif

Thank you to all you TSNers who have spread their wisdom on mods! My dung.gif eating grin just got wider!

169144-ok.gif

Elephant insurance charged me an additional £47.78 for having the Haldex controller & will add another £12.50 when I get the full Miltek fitted.

They stated that they would only pay out the "market value" of the car if it were written off. So no extra value from the mods then. mad.gif

There never is any extra payed for after-market mods by insurance companies. Pretty much the same rule applies when it comes time to selling your car as well - they very rarely add any value - it can even make a car harder to sell if it's been modified.

The Passat uses exactly the same 4Motion Haldex-based 4WD system - there is an electronically controlled clutch which only kicks power to the rear wheels when it's needed. The setup of the controller on the Passat is slightly different, because of the additional weight of the car.