DSG Driving...

RedRobin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Just to put a cat amongst the pigeons as it were heres my little bit.

1. I purchased the DSG for 2 reasons, my wife is more comfortable in an auto and after a 1 hour test drive i was convinced.

2. If i had my choice again i would probably go for the manual, and my reasons are as follows.

a. The DSG is a very expensive option which you may or may not get back on the sale of your car mad.gif

b. I miss the feeling of going through the gearbox up or down, and before someone comments its not the same in manual mode on the DSG.

c. The DSG slowness to get out of first when cold annoys the hell out me

d. The jerky gearchanges when cold as above

e. When turning a sharp bend in a built up area the gearbox sometimes selects 1st making you feel a complete ass and throwing everyone else forward in the proccess.

smashfreakB.gif

The DSG is obviously a fine piece of engineering and there are times when you just want to bury the throttle let it pick the right gear and you are off like a scolded cat making a it a very safe machine to cover ground quickly, but i still miss my manual ho hum..............

[/ QUOTE ]

2a - You will get the DSG value on resale because it's the basic car....A DSG GTI.

b - I get the same thrill of going through the box with paddles and hearing it through my Millteks as I do in a manual. I find it more enjoyable because it's so much faster.

c - I have never experienced what you are saying. I never ask my engine to do anything quick until she's well warmed up.

d - Ditto as above. I have never experienced "jerky gearchanges" with DSG confused.gif.

e - Again, never been a problem.

But, each to their own and I totally accept that it doesn't suit everyone. I don't accept "lack of involvement" as even true unless someone means that they prefer the physical wrist and foot action. Involvement is a mental process....Not physical.

CMC950 - Just paddleshift at the same intervals as you would in a conventional manual. Or, experiment and get the feel of what happens - The DSG box will handle whatever you throw at it. But always make sure your engine has warmed up before anything more hardcore - That applies to any engine.

Hi robin thanks for your comments... Could you try this out for next time you go out with the engine cold.

Drive with a very gentle throttle ( as always when cold ) and tell me if it takes longer to change into 2nd than when warm? For me it just doesnt snick into 2nd as when its warm? I am talking very slow speeds as i exit my road in the morning

thanks Chris

Hi Chris - I have already experienced this today: I left home with the engine cold....Came home later with a hot engine after 44 miles....Called in briefly to drop off shopping....Restarted warm engine to go elsewhere. All on same piece of road. I couldn't possibly tell you if it changes into 2nd any earlier or later due to temperature. It will change gear according to how I use the throttle, regardless of temperature as far as I can tell.

I have to say that I don't understand why it matters at all when the DSG changes gear when you are just pootling about in D-mode. What am I missing here? confused.gif

Probably been replied to again but I have to agree, when cold my DSG box will drive for seemingly ages whilst still in first before it thinks about second. It will then jump to third almost immediately. Annoying and makes me wonder if there is a problem? Also, my off paddle doesn't work. Other than that I love it. Would I buy it again? Probably. Do i miss a manual? Definately.

The more i drive DSG the more i love it. It takes months to get fully accustomed to it. 3 months on and i am still learning, but every time it gets more and more exciting. I'm just itching to drive it at every opportunity.

I have experienced jerky changes, but it doesn't bother me. After all it's an automated manual gearbox, not a conventional auto box (a huge difference!)

calmac - If your OFF paddle doesn't work you need to get your car to the dealer for diagnostics.

LeMan - at just over 8,000 miles I'm only just getting the hang of the paddles! A lot of it is confidence in what you can throw at the gearbox - anything!

Btw, SiBurt gave me the tip to lower my seat to lowest possible position....Makes a big and positive difference to the sporty feel 169144-ok.gif

Nope. There's no point - I'm extremely happy with my GTI, especially with new suspension and Millteks, and it would cost me a lot of dosh just to change plus I really don't like the exterior styling of the new R32. If someone chucks me the keys of one and says would I like a drive, then I would.

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

Hi Red 169144-ok.gif

You do need to try the DSG in an R32 simply because you are such an avid DSG fan grin.gif

The R V6 is perfectly suited to the DSG system, much much better than the turbo four pot in the gti

Drove a gti yesterday just to compare with the R, and was extremely dissapointed with the gti, in comparison. confused.gif

The gti was more "thrashy" and was a different driving experience than the R, no criticism of the gti, it is a fine motor,the R just does it for me in a lot more places than the gti, forgot what torque steer and bouncing and spinning front wheels in the wet was like......... ECLIPSe.gif

Have you tried the floor shift option on your car yet Red?

I reckon it is the best way to drive a DSG "manual" style round a "B" road, I absolutely love it, and it seems an option that does not get enough coverage.... coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Red 169144-ok.gif

You do need to try the DSG in an R32 simply because you are such an avid DSG fan grin.gif

The R V6 is perfectly suited to the DSG system, much much better than the turbo four pot in the gti

Drove a gti yesterday just to compare with the R, and was extremely dissapointed with the gti, in comparison. confused.gif

The gti was more "thrashy" and was a different driving experience than the R, no criticism of the gti, it is a fine motor,the R just does it for me in a lot more places than the gti, forgot what torque steer and bouncing and spinning front wheels in the wet was like......... ECLIPSe.gif

Have you tried the floor shift option on your car yet Red?

I reckon it is the best way to drive a DSG "manual" style round a "B" road, I absolutely love it, and it seems an option that does not get enough coverage.... coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said man, i'd love to give an R32 DSG a drive!

I can well believe a juicy V6 would be quite simply awesome with DSG! 169144-ok.gif

..mind you keeping the feisty little 4pot turbo in whizz is also cracking fun! ECLIPSe.gif

Hi fagash 169144-ok.gif - Heck!!! What's going on?? I get a R32 AutoExpress feature (which I didn't ask for) in the post this morning and then read your post here!!

Too many drivers are saying how well the DSG suits the R32 for it not to be true. It's the "thrashy" feel of the GTI which I love! The .:R felt more sedate even if it isn't. My upgraded suspension seems to be making a much bigger improvement to bouncing and wheel spinning than I expected, though I should also dial in my getting more used to the car and more sensitive use of the throttle. ESP takes care of a heck of a lot - I came round a bend in a country lane yesterday to find heavy mud from a tractor crossing....I saw my ESP light flashing away but hardly felt anything.

I still haven't explored the 'M' floor shift option - It seems to negate the advantage of paddles. If I'm in a more extreme sharp twisties environment I'll stick it into 'S', hang on to the wheel and drive with my feet! But I agree that the floor stick doesn't get much coverage - Possibly because most of us don't use it enough.

Cheers and I'm really glad to hear how much you are obviously enjoying your new R32 169144-ok.gif. You should try and come to our TSN meet at Bedford Autodrome - You don't have to go on track (I shan't be).

Now that my 'man-flu' (or "malaria" as a lady friend called it!) is over, I might re-consider a R32 DSG drive but only as a test-drive and not for buying. It would be a bit like having the best girlfriend you could want and then dumping her cos you thought some other lady you met might be better. You can look, or even flirt, but it's throwing away the good you already got. The new .:R is more like a 50yo anyway!! Solid and experienced but, as a 58yo, I prefer late 30 or early 40yo and more "thrashy" wink.gif! I would be very stupid to swop my GTI.

Could'nt agree more with your comments Red 169144-ok.gif

I would stick in your position, the gti is a really nice car,and I am a big fan, just thought that I could'nt think of anyone better to give us a proper review, because of your enthusiasm and experience with DSG, in relation to a DSG comparison between the two car's.............

Fed up of poxy journo's and stealer reps passing comment about DSG when they dont drive one and dont appreciate the advantages.....really fecking winds me up....you should know the product you are selling or reviewing........ fekr.gif

I drove an A6 Diesel the other day fitted with Tiptronic, which also has paddles, and looking at both control systems, you would consider them pretty much the same.....

They are not........miles apart............ grin.gif

And yep will have to make a meeting sooner rather than later,many thanks for the invite, but like you, wont be whipping it around the track...............

Us old, but still Gold! have to stick together....... buttcheeks.gif

Hope you manflu attack was'nt to severe, that can be a mother of a thing .........mate of mine contracted it while on voluntary work some years ago......so you have my sympathies 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for the encouragement, fagash, I'll have to see if I can get that DSG R32 test-drive nearer to home rather than go all the way to Milltek....On the other hand....Hmmm, why not? I drove 372 miles round trip just so AP Racing could make a wheel template the other day and unexpectedly had a really great day, also met SiBurt and lottiefox again.

169144-ok.gif

Just thought that If I was comparing cars on the basis of a woman in my life..............and being slightly topical,with it being that: Oh **** forgot to buy something day.......without sounding at all sexist, because I am not............

gti......... young, loud,athletic, energetic and a ******** handful at times! openfire.gif

R........ thirties, refined,sharp,easy going and exceedlingy naughty when required! FIREdevil.gif

I know what does it for me..........................a nice bag of werthers... SPericani2.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

But from my point of view as a 58yo, I would say:

GTI.......... Thirties & Forties, a good laugh, outgoing, fit, energetic but sometimes a handful.

R32......... Fifties, a good laugh, refined, sharp, easy-going but exceedingly naughty at times.

But because I have yet to meet the 'right one', I'm better off with just the car!!