Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

better handling than anything VAG group can do

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, utter bollox, and you know it. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The new Astra's handling was refined and tuned by lotus, so they probably have an advantage EEK2.GIF On the other hand better than ANYTHING the VAG group can come up with is probably a little wide of the mark bike.thumb.gifsekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

better handling than anything VAG group can do

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, utter bollox, and you know it. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrmmm, no actually.

I went straight for VW and Audi after the Golf, thought the handling of both were vague and mushy and was much more impressed with Ford and VX.

Until the new RS4 and Gti, Audi and VW have had about 15 years of shite handling cars and that's a well known fact I'm afraid.

I you want handling and German, it's BMW or Porker.

Audi haven't cracked the handling thing for a while (though if reports are anything to go by the B7 A4 and the new quattro system on the RS4 is a big improvement). Not even German engineering can make big fwd cars handle well, and certainly of those I've tried the Quattros have never felt as composed or as balanced as Subarus when pressing on.

But I can't agree that Vauxhall are better. In fact all the Vauxhalls I've tried in recent years have been utterly woeful in the handling department (not had a go in a Monaro yet grin.gif ). At every level, the equivalent Ford is an infinitely better handling car than the Vauxhall. In fact based on those I've driven (fairly stock Focuses and Mondeos) and the road tests of the more interesting models it's difficult to see beyond Ford for the best handling fwd cars. The mkV GTI does come close though.

Try a TOP END Astra, not some 1.6l hire car.

One with decent sized rubber and sports suspension - The chassis is very well sorted (unlike the mk4) and loses nothing to the Focus - I've tested them back to back on the same roads after all.

Have you done the same or are you basing it purely what's written in the press?

I bought the Astra on handling, fresh looks, poke, build quality and value in that order.

When people compare cars on here they so often base their experience of mainstream brands on a car they once hired in Spain or similar to their top end whatever car at home.

I've upset rather a large number of cars with more power purely on handling alone - Only the Astra was sorted by Lotus, the Vectra and Corsa missed out and suffered for it.

Vauxhalls ARE largely crap, the new Astra changed all that.

I haven't driven a top end one, but you know very well what the vast majority of road testers have said about the Astra VXR. In every test I've read it has been hammered by the Focus ST and Golf GTI.

And driving equivalent stock cars can tell you alot more about the basic chassis dynamics than the sport models do.

The VXR got it wrong - I've tried one and the Focus ST was a lot better.

Having said that, I base my car opinions on actually driving cars not what journos say - They quite often get it wrong and drive cars in completely unrealistic "track" conditions anyway - Totally irrelevant to 99% of todays driving.

I stand by what I say - The mk5 Astra handles bloody well.

I buy my cars with handling as one of the main reasons for purchasing.

If the Astra didn't handle very well indeed, I wouldn't have one.

If an Audi A3/A4, VW Passat, etc handled, I'd have one of those - But they don't.

[ QUOTE ]

I base my car opinions on actually driving cars not what journos say...

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I, where I offer it as my opinion. When I'm talking about magazine road tests, I say so. But I do tend to think that alot of them know what they're talking about, and I tend to take far more notice of the impressions they build on real roads rather than times achieved on track.

I've not driven a mk2 Focus yet - would be interesting to see if the standard car has taken a step back compared with the original.

Of course, there's also a great deal of subjectivity in choosing a car for its handling - people's driving preferences do vary quite alot. As much through familiarity as anything I like the neutrality of Subaru AWD, and the traditionalist in me would preclude fwd from any choice made purely - or largely - on handling ability.

I agree with you there - AWD handles better than FWD.

I just don't think it's needed on anything under 200bhp - Just adds too much weight.

I see A3/A4 1.8Ts with 150bhp and 4WD and just think WHY?!

Mk2 Focus is a great handler but I actually slightly preferred the mk1 - The ST170 is still one of the best handling FWD cars I've ever driven. The new ST is very good indeed but just feels less agile and a wee bit over heavy.

No wonder VW nicked the Focus engineer for the GTi!

Subaru 4WD is still probably the best available for sensible money - Even the Forester (tested for 24 hours) handles very well indeed.

They just look odd and guzzle too much fuel.

Yes, they do actually, apart from the GTi.

Audis DON'T handle well - Fact.

They have great interiors, a good image and are well made and some are very quick, but they do NOT handle - Find ONE bit of journo write up praising any modern Audis handling (bar the new RS4) or any modern VW (bar the GTi).

....I'm waiting...

Still waiting....

Methinks you have been blinded by the hype.

Fords (especially the Focus) handle better than almost any VAG car too.

Ian - Did you just try and equate a CAR with INVESTMENT?!!!

You're even more of a muppet than I first though.

Back to playschool young man.

That's what I call one MIGHTY backfiring bit of patronisation.

Worst depreciator I can think of?

A VW Touraeg or Phaeton.

As mentioned before, a previous gen E320 CDi, or maybe a previous gen 7 Series BM, A8???? How about an S Class?

Something big, which has depreciated the most and is now at a bargain price. Well made (at the new price) so they are solid and are likely to have been well looked after. Maybe an LS400 (not the ugly 430)