Mudflaps

davyk31

I have read somewhere, not sure if it was here or not, some discussion regarding mudflaps for the GTI. I got my new car on Friday and it was meant to have mudflaps but I think they had forgotten so when I asked there was some talks between salesman and parts dept trying to decide if there are flaps to fit the GTI or not. In the end they decided they needed to search a bit more as they seemed to think that rear was available but not front.

Anyone got mudflaps on their car or know the correct story about them? If I know the facts than I can avoid the dealer bluffing me off with perhaps him just saying they are not available to save them time and money.

Oh and the car is fantastic, brand new on Friday and I loooooooveeeeee her.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Whereas I can appreciate the wish to reduce the dirt with mudflaps, they are simply (rightly or wrongly) not considered cool for the GTI by the vast majority of owners. The same applies to roof bars and tow hooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I have been itching to get a towbar to carry my bikes but can't bring myself to do it....been trying to convince my girlfriend to get one on her car but she has a Mini Cooper and the same applies I feel! confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Whereas I can appreciate the wish to reduce the dirt with mudflaps, they are simply (rightly or wrongly) not considered cool for the GTI by the vast majority of owners. The same applies to roof bars and tow hooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can get "stealth" ones where the ball comes off and they're "harder" to see.

Agreed, I have been itching to get a towbar to carry my bikes but can't bring myself to do it....been trying to convince my girlfriend to get one on her car but she has a Mini Cooper and the same applies I feel! confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Looking cooool is cool, but ultimately the car needs to provide whatever your needs are and if you need roofbars or towbar, then get what you need. The GTI doesn't need Millteks or upgraded suspension, but I do! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh, but towbars, come on crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of us use our cars.

Towbars handy for quite a few reasons.

1) taking rubish to the tip in a trailer, better than covering the boot in rubbish and risking marking or ripping the interior boot carpet, headlining etc etc, also saves on multiple trips to the tip.

2) Trailer again Picking up spare part for other cars, engines, gearboxes, body panels, etc etc,

3) Car trailer towing the Mk1 GTI to shows or any other of my classics, picking cars up for spares etc etc.

4) Bike trailer, taking the motorcross bikes to competitions.

5) Using the trailer to pick up stuff for home, freezer, oven, fridge, flatpacks etc etc.

The list just goes on and on..

[ QUOTE ]

Whereas I can appreciate the wish to reduce the dirt with mudflaps, they are simply (rightly or wrongly) not considered cool for the GTI by the vast majority of owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no! I rang the stealer last week and had them put on, haven't seen them yet but reading this thread have realised:

(a) They may not fit, so grease-monkey likely to have used pop-rivets or nails .. (?! yelrotflmao.gif)

(b) Assuming they got something on, sounds like I've just commited a major faux-paux and have to leave TSN .. smashfreakB.gif