Dear Agony Aunt.....

TonyD

The time has finally come and I am getting itchy feet for a new car! I'm surprised it's taken me this long as I've owned my MKIV Anni since new and its now 3.5 years old with just under 30k on the clock. I normally get bored of cars much sooner than this!

Its been a great car and I've loved almost every minute of owning it. Apart from the cr@p stereo and the useless headlights, there is nothing I would change about the car. It still looks great today and still manages to turn heads in the street.

I'm sure you will know that the MKIV GTi is not the best handling car there is and having driven a MKV GTi yesterday I NOW really know what Jezza Clarkson is talking about when he says that "the MKV has finally re-kindled the true GTi spirit".

The MKV certainly had me smiling on the test drive and I loved the way you can just chuck it into a corner and it sticks.... it's a real novelty compared to the handling on my MKIV!

The problem is though that I've spec'd up a new MKV GTi and it's come out at almost £24k:

Basic 3 Door DSG price £21,665.00

Metallic Black / Steel Grey £335.00

Monza II's £445.00

Xenon's £725.00

RCD500+ 6CD In Dash + Soundpack £675.00

Highline Computer £45.00

Total £23,890.00

I am struggling to justify to myself spending this much money on a Golf and I am torn between 'biting the bullet' or just sticking with what I have for a while longer and maybe looking at something else, such as an Audi A3, 2.0T FSI.

Please help me as I can't make a decision!

Your faithfully,

Confused.

confused.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24k isn't that much for a GTI, not in this day and age. they're hardly the car the Mk 1 was. A decent 4MO or V5 mk 4 would have been the best part of 24k anyway, in fact your anni couldn't have been that much cheaper.

It's a lot of car for the money mate, and with regards to the A3, don't even go there!!!! I came from a 3.2 Q to a GTI, great engine, nice interior but handled like a pedalo. GTI is in another league (handling wise)

Good spec BTW, the only thing you could save on is the metallic, i've got flat black and it's ace, much darker and richer than metallic IMO.

Xenon bulbs are also good at £20, not as good as the real thing but easily 2 thirds of the way there, they're a very white light!

18" Monza's are essential, as is highline and soundpack (if you want the OEM look). You won't regret DSG either, feckin ace!

Yeah, I had exactly the same dilemma. The GTI is a bit pricey alongside the A3. For months I had my mind set on an A3 having had a company one before and loved it. However, that's exactly the difference...most A3's are just rep mobiles now and I think the GTI is more exclusive. The golf is much more car and fun for your money. The only thing I prefer on the Audi is the dash layout and quality of plastics. Why not shave some money off your GTI...you've only done 30k in your car over a long period of time. Why not chop the Xenons and upgrade the 'wireless' later. The golf has such a nice exhaust note you'll want the windows down, ICE off to listen anyway.. grin.gif

My brief summary would be as follows:

A3 2.0T FSI = Boring, bland, ugly

Golf GTI = Interesting, not bland, not ugly

Besides which, the latter will hold it's money much better than the A3.

The downside is you'll be tarred as a MkV GTi owner and have to join the millions in the GTi Forum. Seriously though, I think it's a bit of a no-brainer. Personally, I wouldn't buy either because I think it's a lot of money for what you get. However, we've been there and done that many times on here so I'll not start again.

A slight caveat I'd give is that the number of GTi's I see on the roads now is making the car anything but exclusive. That said, a car that is a victim of it's own success is difficult to criticise too much.

Also - you seem to have priced your car at a VW UK retailer. If money is an issue to you (I know it is to me!) then you can shave a minimum 2K of your quoted price by getting an import. To give you an idea, spec the same car at http://www.select-automotive.com - some of the guys on here have purchased through them. Or you could get one at a supermarket (like me) and still have a part ex option to fall back on if you fail to sell your car.

It depends how much you really want to change and how much you like the car. If you could hold on another year i myself can see deals been available on the GTI or even price reduction as it will be so common. I past 4 coming the other on my way out of Newcastle on Saturday as an example so like MrMe says its not like its exclusive at all.

In the first year or two you always get the 'must haves' buying them then suddenly they sell them after a few months for the next 'must have'. Demand will slow down in time and i bet VW will like before loose sales to other brands but also there own brands when people ignore the badge and look at the price and so go and try the SEAT and Skoda equivalent.

Or if you want your GTI of your selected specification sooner, then Richard at Euro-Imports will deliver a quality product at a reasonable price jump.gif

http://www.euroimports.co.uk

Sean at Select is fine too smirk.gif, however Select only order for you (i.e. no stock holding cost) whereas EuroImports have some on order. Thereby you can "change" specifications of a EuroImports car already on order to what you want and reduce the wait time to delivery. The price may be a tad more at Euro than Select, but this is offset by quality (12/12 licence, quality of pre-delivery valet, petrol in the tank, time to delivery etc). If you want absolute lowest price, then Select may be for you!

If you don't care too much about exact specification, then www.motorprovider.co.uk or www.motordepot.co.uk can provide some decent GTIs at a good price.

Be a little cautious about some providers cars (eg www.motorpoint.co.uk). Some may have imports from hotter countries (eg Cyprus) and not all of these cars have the same specification or undersealing required for the wet and cold UK. Also they are brought in from a seller outside the UK and so you may not get all the EU parallel benefits. Particularly watch out for the type of alarm fitted as not all countries fit them as standard and you'll have trouble insuring a GTI without a Thatcham Category 1 alarm (fitted for the EU/UK market) shocked.gif.

If you really care about a 3 year warranty, then either buy any of these and a one-year after warranty eg http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/ OR pay the full price to a VW main agent ha.gif!

And as Snoopy points out, the hot Skoda with the same engine has been well reviewed at a cheap price, likewise the Focus ST2 can be got at a big discount.

eg http://www.autofinders.ltd.uk eg Octavia VRs 2.0T FSi 200bhp 5 door hatch from £16295

or

http://www.newcarsonline.co.uk Ford Focus ST 2.5 225bhp 6-speed 3-dr from £14,595

Remember that with either of these you are buying predominantly on price, not quality alone, even discounted the Golf GTI is going to set you back a lot more! Residuals will be stronger on the GTI though and cost per mile will reflect this.

[ QUOTE ]

The downside is you'll be tarred as a MkV GTi owner and have to join the millions in the GTi Forum. Seriously though, I think it's a bit of a no-brainer. Personally, I wouldn't buy either because I think it's a lot of money for what you get. However, we've been there and done that many times on here so I'll not start again.

A slight caveat I'd give is that the number of GTi's I see on the roads now is making the car anything but exclusive. That said, a car that is a victim of it's own success is difficult to criticise too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be a lot worse! Imagine being tarred as a BMW driver. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

when people ignore the badge and look at the price and so go and try the SEAT and Skoda equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

but we're british and as such all badge snobs. grin.gif

Seriously,the GTI has good history, skoda bad history and Seat, well no history. It will take another decade before the masses migrate IMO (if ever).

Not saying they're bad cars, quite the opposite, it's just that n this country, sh!t sticks!

[ QUOTE ]

I read that in the Quote and knew it was MrMe. grin.gif

I would hardly call a new GTI a 'victim' of it's own success.

It's successfull, residuals are holding and there is still a waiting list, how does that constitute being a victim? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read it again I think it's self explanatory and rather complimentary about the car. It was in response to the 'exclusive' comment earlier in the thread. The success of the GTi means that they're now a very common sight, and in that respect they'll ultimately (perhaps not quite now) become a victim of their own success in the same way that cars such as the M3 (or 3-series in general), Boxster, etc have become.

That being that many people actually stop buying them because they're sick of the sight of them. I can't say it's something that would stop me, but it would stop some people.

Humm, I've got 22K to spend and to be honest, I don't see any alternatives to the Gti, in the new car game:

1. Focus ST: The asbo doesn't really do it for me - tacky looking, lacks class, heavy engine hurts balance.

2. Skoda vrs: Looks rubbish, looks 10 years out of date.

3. R32: Can't justify going over budget for a car that is not that much quicker, when the Gti is quick enough already.

4. Renualt Megane 225: The best thing about this car is that at nearly 20K, it helps to justify the price of the Golf.

5: Audi A3 20T Sline - with options to match my Gti this is golf R32 money. Again, helps to justify the Gti.

6: BMW 1 series: If they made a 3 door one that was as quick as the Gti for the same money it would be a question, but the good one is the 130i and again its out of comparable price range.

7: Mazda RX8: Ive gone off it.

If you think that over 20K was a lot for a hothatch, have a look in the back of Whatcar. They list every car for sale in order of price. A basic gti OTR price is now 20,495... and so is a Vauxhall Signum 1.9 ctdi exclusive, for goodness sake!

As a newly converted MK5 R32 owner I would happily say that the MK5 GTI looks to be a brilliant package.

I agree with nearly all the points above from CMC950.

IMO Megane no, Octavia looks dated but is very good value, 1.gif NO, Focus great price and engine but undecided, A3 lacks character, RX8 too much maintenance.

It's only the 4-cylinder engine (I know there's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's one of the best modern 4-pots around) that put me off from considering the GTI, as was desperate to get back to a decent V6 again. Also IMO it's very difficult to compare the GTI and R32 even though they're the same bodyshell etc.

But for the money you certainly get a huge amount of car, so fair play to you GTI people. 169144-ok.gif

Why wait TonyD ? and CMC950, from the list & reasons you have given just get that cheque book out and go for the GTI.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I am struggling to justify to myself spending this much money on a Golf

[/ QUOTE ]

I had exactly the same thoughts until I took a test drive and thought what the heck it's only money. I was giggling like a school girl on the test drive, wooohaaa what an absolute thrill. Don't think of it as a Golf, think of it as a GTI. An icon, part of history.

I didn't spec it up too much, about a grands worth. From your list the only "musts" are metallic and highline IMO.

1,302,018 bike.thumb.gif

Tony, if you've got the money available don't think of it as 'a lot of money just for a Golf" - It's very much more than just a Golf. It's one of those exceptional cars that doesn't come along too often. Just think of it as a great car and if you get excited by it and the money is there, just go for it and enjoy. Life is for living 169144-ok.gif

Anyway, it's not a Golf....It's a GTI grin.gif

Thanks guys.... so many useful responses which is great to see.

If I'm being honest with myself the car/spec I have opted for is about £4k over budget as I wanted to spend £20k on a new car and no more.

However, in this day and age £4k is not that much and I may seriously bite the bullet and just order it..... I'll keep you posted and thanks again for all the replies.

I will be spending some time looking at the various car importer's mentioned in the thread to see what they can do for me.

Thanks again!

TonyD, sounds like a common enough problem - A3 versus GTI. IMHO the GTI wins - more of a cult status, great car, does everything the A3 does but is cheaper. And having had 2 A3's, have discovered Audi stealer's don't really like anyone who's not buying an A6 upwards (personal experience, mind), and how can you really justify spending more of your own hard-earned wad on basically the same car ... !

I'm sure you'll enjoy the GTI. I've never been happier since ditching my last A3 - too many faults for a "premium" motor.

Good luck!