HOW TO: Retrofit A4 Centre Armrest

BenjaminTDI

I successfully fitted the Centre Armrest earlier into my car and I thought I would share how I did it with you folks, this guide can be used on its own or probably better as a supplement to the instructions you recieve with the kit from Audi or VAG-Parts. It is NOT a difficult mod but expect it to take a little bit of time if you don't know what you're doing and be patient there are a few 'fiddley' bits that don't want to be rushed.

I bought my armrest from my local dealer, price was £140. NelsonA4SLine can also supply these.

I apologise in advance as I didn't take as many pics as I intended, so some of the later steps are a bit thin and also I apologise for the quality of the pics, but not a lot I can do, I have shrunk them down so you poor sods with 56k can still view this all ok 169144-ok.gif

Anyway..

You will need:

-A drill with a 10mm bit,

-A rachet with 13mm cap & extension well over 10cm,

-Audi recommend a compass saw but this can be done with a normal small saw,

-A file might help you smooth out bits/make the opening slightly bigger,

-A 13mm spanner will also come in handy.

Before you start, take off your watch, if you don't want it scratched, and slide your front seats all the way forward.

Step 1: Hold the ashtray as I am doing in the pic and pull it out upwards, it should come out fairly easily but intially might require a tug.

Step1.jpg

You will now be left with an opening (see pic below)

Step2.jpg

Step 2: Remove the back of the ashtray by unclipping the bits highlighted either side in green, be patient with these, then carefully remove the panel and place to one side. Then, with your ratchet, unscrew the two bolts (highlighted in red) and place them to one side.

Step3.jpg

Step 3: Remove this pointless piece of plastic (it just pulls off??) ROLLEY~14.GIF

Step4.jpg

Step 4: Remove the bit of felt covering the space you normally put your wallet in and observe the hole (highlighted) you'll need to get it so take a look down it and you'll see the screw the bracket will slide over 169144-ok.gif

Step5.jpg

Step 5: Carefully lift up the centre console and slide the bracket in and FIRST attach it to the screw under the hole you just looked in (be careful as sometimes it doesn't go all the way down which can cause you problems later), and then slide it underneath the plastic at the back around the 2 screws. Use your ratchet to secure these 3 bolts, making sure they are not too tight. Below is a pic of the bracket fully attached.

Step6.jpg

Step 6: This is the hardest part, in the highlighted piece, tape the guider that you got with the kit down and mark out the area you are going to cut (I didn't have to cut the entire area out to fit the armrest in) Then drill a hole at each corner and start sawing away. (Don't forget the hole that the other tab of the armrest fits in on the other side, which can just be drilled quite easily). This can be quite frustrating, but just take your time and take care not to cut a larger piece out than the armrest will cover. It doesn't matter if you aren't 100% neat either as the armrest will cover it. (you should see the state of my cutting underneath the armrest, it looks like someone went at it with a chainsaw).

Once this is done, place the armrest in and put it over the screw highlighted in green, and attach the bolt.

Step7.jpg

Step 6: Reattach your ashtray and hoover up your mess, then you're done beerchug.gif

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

If you need any help just send me a PM or email me. coffee.gif

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

You beat me to it!!

I will be doing this mod very soon, and I will take some more photos, to fill in the gaps if you like?

I think there is a washer that needs to fit under the bracket (so between the bolt and the bracket) as highlighted in the picture below. Don't ask me why, but it is on the Audi Fitting Instructions. The part no. is N90840801.

711423-Step6.jpg

post-12849-137914345879_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Ben,

Thanks for letting us use your write up.

I have converted this to a document and uploaded it to the www.audiretrofit.co.uk site.

If you go to the A4 Options page and click on the armrest picture it will download.

Let me know if you want anything changing on the document.

Thanks,

HD 169144-ok.gifcoffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no problem mate! I'm sure you'll give me some help when I come round to installing RNS-E 169144-ok.gif