Wheel finish durability

CRJ_1

As it was valentines day yesterday I thought I'd give her a good going over and after polish/waxing her body I applied wheel wax all round. I was very surprised that two of my alloys (one front, one rear & on different sides?) were quite badly scratched

I've hear VW paint is very soft but their alloys??? I have been travelling loads lately, unfortunately not in the GTI so mileage from new is relatively low, how's everyone elses wheels holding up? Image attached.

PS: no 17 vs 18 gags smile.gif

post-8999-137914346246_thumb.jpg

I was going to do the same (to my car, not a GF - more hassle than they're worth imo - I've been there and done that), but there were rain showers and same today. Got her (the car) some McGard wheel security for valentines day....Aren't I a saddo? Yes, but totally free to do what I like when I like cool.gif.

To answer your post: My 17" alloys are waxed and regularly washed and only have kerb damage which happened within my first two weeks. 8,000+ miles.

Hello All,

Does anyone have experience as to whether the GTI 18's (& 17's) have a kinda laquered finish that will come off under a very strong power hose? My Volvo 16's (Me talking Volvo again... Sorry) have had a lot of the top surface come off from being power hosed (by both Me and service/dealer) and I would not like that to happen to our GTI arriving next week!!

Any experiences or tips...??

Thanks

Paddy

Not looking for the blame game, just interested if anyone is seeing more chips/marks than expected........if so I will take it up with the dealer. Maybe I was just unlucky but wanted opinions from the forum, my previous Golfs alloys didn't mark as bad after 3 times the mileage.

IMO the blame would lie with VW/dealer I purchased the car from not BBS, it may be thier product but I have no relationship with them?!?

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

Ok, Sorry its just i get sick of hearing well its *Insert car make name* fault for a problem when infact its there supliers that make the part at fault. Maybe because i spend so much time involved with the trade and are so close to people in the trade this really gets to me.

A prime example, Over the past year or so i was really getting sick of hearing about a certain common problem with an ECU on Alfa 156s all i kept hearing from 'people' was well "what do you expect from Italian electrics" or some other silly coment. The part at fault? made in Germany by Bosch!!!!, it was there fault there design!!

Sorry snoopy have to disagree. If they sell the car, they're responsible for all the components, regardless of who makes them. Otherwise they shouldn't be on the car in the first place.

It's like most things in retail, if you buy a jumper and the arm falls off, you take it back to the shop, you blame the shop and you most probably won't go back in there. You don't have beef with the factory in Taiwan that makes them.

I've only done 1400 miles, and I too have noticed one scratch and what appears to be 2 stone chips!! Towards the centre of the wheel - not curbed (yet!). All different wheels too.

I also keep the car very clean/waxed, only just done so a week ago, and this includes waxing the wheels, with the Autoglym product, wheels actually come up looking fantatsic!! I have done this regular on previous cars, with no problems!

I'm in the dealers next week, and if I remeber I'll mention it too them, see what they say.

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, Sorry its just i get sick of hearing well its *Insert car make name* fault for a problem when infact its there supliers that make the part at fault. Maybe because i spend so much time involved with the trade and are so close to people in the trade this really gets to me.

A prime example, Over the past year or so i was really getting sick of hearing about a certain common problem with an ECU on Alfa 156s all i kept hearing from 'people' was well "what do you expect from Italian electrics" or some other silly coment. The part at fault? made in Germany by Bosch!!!!, it was there fault there design!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely I took my GTI in to the VW dealer and used a Radiohead CD to demonstrate a door rattle. Not played too loud mid you, it just happened to have the right frequency on one of the tracks to resonate the door panel. I have the written report from the VW dealer that blames the production on the Radiohead CD for the rattle!

I've noticed a few tracks on the latest Katie Melua produces the same resonant buzzing, so I'm taking it back to see if that CD hasn't been produced well either. yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely I took my GTI in to the VW dealer and used a Radiohead CD to demonstrate a door rattle. Not played too loud mid you, it just happened to have the right frequency on one of the tracks to resonate the door panel. I have the written report from the VW dealer that blames the production on the Radiohead CD for the rattle!

I've noticed a few tracks on the latest Katie Melua produces the same resonant buzzing, so I'm taking it back to see if that CD hasn't been produced well either. yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Download a test pink noise test track from the net or frequency tones, it will help you find what frequency and what of the 3 drivers is cuasing the problem.