Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jase1

GTI stolen in leeds

158 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

On a serious note though, anyone finding themselves in this situation (God forbid), needs to remember that, as satisfying as it would be to administer a good kicking to the scumbag, it could land you in the. You dont want to be sat behind bars with the GTi (and possibly said scumbag)on the street

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words. It could also land you in 6ft hole frown.gif

Best to hand over the keys, say thank you for robbing me and let them get on with it. Sad, but true frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why this country is going down the Flush.gif

Thanks god I live in the sticks and my car is always tucked up in the garage out of sight 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

On a serious note though, anyone finding themselves in this situation (God forbid), needs to remember that, as satisfying as it would be to administer a good kicking to the scumbag, it could land you in the. You dont want to be sat behind bars with the GTi (and possibly said scumbag)on the street

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words. It could also land you in 6ft hole frown.gif

Best to hand over the keys, say thank you for robbing me and let them get on with it. Sad, but true frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that would be hard! What i meant was, if it did get physical and you got the better of the scrote, instead of getting medieval on his ass (baseball bats, knives, bows and arrows etc!), it would be better to use as much painful but non excessive force as poss before he either legs it in fear or stays down long enough for 999 to be called.

But, as you say, better not to risk your life if it can be avoided

as i said if my family was in the house i would never ever try anything. if it me thats a different story. i loose my rag very easy and i find it difficult to control so red mist may set in but i hope i never get into that situation.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What i meant was, if it did get physical and you got the better of the scrote, instead of getting medieval on his ass (baseball bats, knives, bows and arrows etc!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a baseball bat is a great way of protecting yourself and your property as you don't have to get too up close and personal with the fekr.gif's

I wont just let some thug walk all over me but that's just me...

bike.thumb.gif

I find a Golf Club works really good, especially when they try to jab a screwdriver through the corner of the porch window, which is double glazed!

Just wander down and the silouette of a man with a 4 foot long Driver in his hand does the trick! laugh.gif

Probably a stupid question but would your insurers pay out if you just handed over the keys? I thought most have some kind of clause about this.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's time for a tracker. That way you always get to feck em back! ha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I think that's a very good idea. There are also remotely controlled immobilisers but I've heard they can sometimes go off unplanned with you in the car!

[ QUOTE ]

Probably a stupid question but would your insurers pay out if you just handed over the keys? I thought most have some kind of clause about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they would if you were threatened, they can't expect you to defend your car. Obviously if you walked upto a bloke in the street and said "here are my keys mate, she's parked round back" then you'd have a few issues...

[ QUOTE ]

I understand the: "it's only a car argument"

But without wishing to be political or anything, these scum are coming into your house.......

I for one dont want to live in a society, where the sensible thing is to:

"leave your keys in a convenient place"

so you can go to bed at night without worrying about whether some M******* F***** can break in without attacking you or your family, because he or they want your motor....

I guess we might as well leave the front door unlocked as well?

Without wishing to sound like "Bronson" If someone decides to break into my house, when I am physically in it.......that is there gamble...

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you confront them, it's also your gamble. It's all very well taking the macho stance but I wouldn't give a toss about your physical capabilities if I had a gun. A friend of mine (very) nearly died when he confronted a mugger who happened to be carrying a knife. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but the risks shouldn't be dismissed.

As for the "I guess we might as well leave the front door unlocked as well?", well, yes, I guess you might as well as it's them that will be taking the gamble that they can see you off in a fight ROLLEY~14.GIF.

Personally, I'll try to make my house as secure as possible in order to stop people breaking in to nick my car keys. I certainly wouldn't leave them within 'fishing rod' range.

Maybe if I lived on my own, I'd be more willing to take a stand in this situation but I have a wife and three children and absolutely will not expose them to that sort of risk.

I don't want to live in a society where leaving your keys downstairs is the sensible option either. But I do live in that society.

Of course, if the feckers came upstairs, that would be a different matter. openfire.gif

What you think you would do in a confrontation and what you actually do, aren't necessarily the same. I've had several confrontations in my life....two involving guns, one a knife, and a few 'nose to nose'. One way or another I've survived unscathed from each encounter....I'm not trying to say how clever I am but only that you can only act on adrenalin and split second thinking at the time. Any combat training you've had should come into play.

[ QUOTE ]

What you think you would do in a confrontation and what you actually do, aren't necessarily the same. I've had several confrontations in my life....two involving guns, one a knife, and a few 'nose to nose'. One way or another I've survived unscathed from each encounter....I'm not trying to say how clever I am but only that you can only act on adrenalin and split second thinking at the time. Any combat training you've had should come into play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite agree.

I seem to be instinctively aggressive in these situations FIREdevil.gif

I'd still rather avoid them.

I agree, James....Best to avoid such situations if at all possible. This thread is not a nice subject.

Word of (helpful?) advice. If you garage your car you're best to leave it unlocked. If some tea-leaf really wants your car they're going to get it, last thing you want is a midnight conversation with scum about unlocking it. Anyway, its much easier to break into it in a garage so if it's locked they'll have time and cover to smash your doors to get in .....

Just get a thief deterrent like mine - 2.0TDI puts most people off! grin.gif

So a tracker seems a good idea (from 299)

An addition to get your 18" wheels back may be the Mighty Dot marking system.... (from 235)

I'll get GAP insurance when I get my car, as it's all good having the car back, but if they've damaged it then frown.gif

Only problem i see with tracker is when you get your car back its still listed as a stolen and recovered car. So come trade in time or when you want to sell it its worth less then a non stolen car.

I agree. I'd never have a tracker unless specifically demanded by the insurance or already fitted on the car. I'd rather spend the money on gap insurance and hope I don't get the car back.

On this issue of "fighting back" and ending up in trouble with the old bill..............perfectly true......

Four years ago I caught two guys at one in the morning merrily detatching the alloys from my motor, in the ensuing encounter, one of the said persons tried to smack me, without provocation, accross the head with the cross spoke wheel brace,which they were using to remove my wheels,I basically dis-armed him and took him down in a choke hold and turned him a nice shade of blue, ........

The missus called the heroes in blue, and they arrived to find me and the semi conscious felon, at the scene.

Suffice to say that I was interviewed and told that I would be facing a charge of ABH................I was looking at a criminal record, after being attacked and defending myself..............

Fortunately because his mate had legged it and I had not "broken" anything, the CPS had to drop the charge, due to insufficient evidence of an assault.........

All I can honestly say is that someone broke into my house then I could'nt really give a stiff about the consequences, because lets face it, there is'nt anyone protecting us,hard working law abiding people,the law does'nt, it should be a basic right to protect you and your family in your own home ,we are the easy targets for the law, not the criminal fraternity.......

Just a last point,fingerprint recognition systems are available in the marketplace now, as aftermarket fitment, how long before they become standard?

What should you do then? because then they will physicaaly need you or your fingers to take your car.........

Any suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]

Just a last point,fingerprint recognition systems are available in the marketplace now, as aftermarket fitment, how long before they become standard?

What should you do then? because then they will physicaaly need you or your fingers to take your car.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late, someone's already done it...

This is where it's all going folks!

And we are all standing by, watching and allowing it to happen.............

It's those overpaid, glorified librarians aka "parasites in suits"that are repsonsible..............

how much do they charge an hour these days?

Very sorry, dont wish to get on my soap box here,it's not the place............apologies

fagash> you're just saying what we all think mate, this country really does make me sick now frown.gif The police in our area are a joke, they took 4 hours to arrive when we caught people breaking into our garage (they even had their sirens and lights on when they did finally arrive, bless 'em).

They are really shooting themselves in the foot, as there will be more and more "Tony Martins" and finally the public will snap...

One of my mates is a senior officer.

He said if you want to get them round right away (in most cases), tell the 999 operator that the intruder is still on your premises, the police love nothing more than a good old chase and arrest to make the trip worthwhile, not saying it always makes sense, but i will from now on.

Oh and on the tracker issue, i don't think it does come up stolen recovered, I only think that's the case if the insurance has to cough up, thus making the car their property to sell on.

I only say this because my mate had an A4 cab which was stolen and returned 6 weeks later. He HPI'd it himself 4 times before selling it (about a year later) and their was nothing on the cars file whatsoever.

This country should be more like the States in that you can use deadly force should some one enter your house illegally. I am sure this would be a vote winner!!