Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jase1

GTI stolen in leeds

158 posts in this topic

Did you know that it Texas, if you shoot a burglar, you actually get a cash reward from the local police cool.gif

just means the villians will get bigger and more lethal weapons. Same reason why the police aren't armed in the UK.

[ QUOTE ]

Did you know that it Texas, if you shoot a burglar, you actually get a cash reward from the local police cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he survives? tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

This country should be more like the States in that you can use deadly force should some one enter your house illegally. I am sure this would be a vote winner!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a debate on this at Uni and it was very interesting to hear some peoples views. Personally, it's a very hard decision to make. You are effectively handing the law over to a civilian and this is not always a good thing.

There are many problems to consider; what happens if someone is tresspassing and gets shot (this has happened in the US), I am sure you can think of other ways in which an innocent person may get shot.

There is also a moral aspect to consider. Although I agree with fully defending myself if someone breaks in, do we every have the right (as humans) to take another life? Is it "right" to shoot someone who is breaking and entering. What happens if the thief is unarmed and tries to flee, may you still shoot him/her? This opens up a whole legal can of worms.

If we, as UK citizens, were given the right to shoot anyone who invades our home, then robbers will just start carrying guns. I personally do not wish to face an armed robber in the middle of the night frown.gif

At the end of the day we are allowed to use reasonable force; if the robber is unarmed and tries to flee then reasonable force would be ringing the police. If the attacker is armed with a knife and is threatening the life of another person, then reasonable force maybe shooting them in the leg. That is the core of the problem in the UK, "reasonable" force is subjective and can range from doing nothing to killing someone.

At the end of the day it is a lose/lose situation for the government, giving us the right to shoot intruders will only set forth a process that arms those intruders and puts our lives in more danger. However, deny us the right, and some people will take the law into their own hands, use more than reasonable force and cause public outcry.

Althought I'm totally for people defending their lives, family and property (with no consequences) I personally wouldn't want to be using knives and guns - the wrong people always get hurt. I'd originally said a baseball bat at the start of this whole thing and still believe such a weapon is the best form of defense.

Although having read the posts I can understand that for people with children you'd just want the baddies to get the feck out of there asap and take the fecking GTI...

So it depends on your circumstances.

bike.thumb.gif

Hmmmm defending onself amd ones property. There is those that talk about it, there is those that do it!

Rowley mate,

The police are armed in this country, the weapons are tucked away in their motors, for those you dont see carrying,every jam sandwich carries fire arms.........

Admitted they have to have a bloody good reason to issue them, but once they are out, well anything is fair game,

amazed me in the states, that the police seem to shoot people as a last resort(maybe cause they cant afford the lawsuit!) and in this country.............well you know the rest................

Also the thing about bigger and more lethal weapons?

A pen is lethal if you know how to use it......

i.e: you can kill someone with it, so I really dont get the bigger and more lethal thing..........it is an awful fact that since handguns were outlawed, that there use has spiralled out of control........

The issue here is not weapons, it is the fact that scum can tool up with just about anything, and come into your house,and in the unlikely event that they are caught,and then there brief (paid for, by us mugs) does'nt get them off on a technicality, or gives the great and the good sitting on the bench the usual B*ll*cks about there socially deprived up bringing etc etc etc........

They get sweet F*ck all, in the way of consequences..........dont do it again............there's a good boy............

But it's ok, it's all to do with looking after our "human rights"

sleep well............

SOME of the police are armed in this country, not every "jam sandwich" contains firearms, infact I would say only 1 in 5 of the cars you see (based on my area) would be.

The armed officers carry a handgun and now a taser about their person at all times!

They then have further options locked in the car as you say!

169144-ok.gif

1 in 5 cars? seems a fair appraisal...

I dont seem to recall saying that all of the police officers are armed in this country.........

I think you'll find, that varies considerably from force to force,and the some forces are increasing there AR units, in view of the terrorist threat...

But there again what would I know?

I am just another cog in the gearbox of life...............

I would love to know when breaking into some one's house is going to be viewed by authorities, as a "major offence", rather than just another "crime statistic" because it is so common these days, we just tend to accept it dont we?

Right, enough! I really am going to get off my soap box now, must be peeing a load of fellow TSN maties off by now, sorry folks.....I promise to zip it........

[ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find, that varies considerably from force to force,and the some forces are increasing there AR units, in view of the terrorist threat...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am more than aware of that one sekret.gifwink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A pen is lethal if you know how to use it......

[/ QUOTE ]

if your names Jackie Chan. I went to a golf range at the weekend.

Think a driver or 5 iron would do nicely, can see it doing more damage to the knee caps than a biro! cool.gif

Some smaller forces have a higher percentage of ARV due to merging divisions, for instance some forces have combined their traffic units with their firearms units, so be careful when speeding through certain districts wink.gif

ARV's are still fairly rare outside of the MET area, there are very few up in Durham, as we only tend to get the poverty spec Astra panda cars...

All the officers I know would NEVER want to carry firearms in the UK, as if you discharge a firearm then it's an immediate leave of duty and inquests can take years if it's a fatal shooting.

[ QUOTE ]

Some smaller forces have a higher percentage of ARV due to merging divisions, for instance some forces have combined their traffic units with their firearms units, so be careful when speeding through certain districts wink.gif

ARV's are still fairly rare outside of the MET area, there are very few up in Durham, as we only tend to get the poverty spec Astra panda cars...

All the officers I know would NEVER want to carry firearms in the UK, as if you discharge a firearm then it's an immediate leave of duty and inquests can take years if it's a fatal shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my force area combines ARV's and traffic cars too 169144-ok.gif

I have a friend who has actually been in that position and yes he was subject of a 4 yr enquiry!

To be honest, I think that UK police will soon have Taser guns, and I dont think its a bad idea! At the moment they are pretty much limited to Firearms officers 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I think that UK police will soon have Taser guns, and I dont think its a bad idea! At the moment they are pretty much limited to Firearms officers 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree with tazer guns for sure!

I'm in the unlucky position that I've been pulled over at gun point by MP's, even though we'd done nothing wrong, it was still a scary occurence! I don't really want a gun in my face everytime I'm stopped for a traffic offence...

Interesting how this thread has evolved!

I had typed up some deep and philosophical prose on how we live in an inherently evil world with corruption and crime rampant, and that there will be plenty of human sacrifice before that changes - but then I deleted all that!

It's common knowledge and anyone who thinks that they can keep handing over keys is naive! When will it end?

For my part, anyone who comes near me, my girlfriend or my family, or the things I own and have bought through hard work using my God given talent will die! That person will receive a Glock 22 bullet at my expense, and I will have to live with the consequences of having taken another persons life. But I will know that my actions prevented the proliferation of crime in some small way and that people close to me were not raped/killed or hurt in any way! Coz that would be harder to live with! I pray it never happens!

What I have just said is sad in the extreme but it is an indication of the society we live in (or I live in) and the fact that sacrifices will have to be made on both sides - law abiding and law breaking!

but how the hell will that help, for the sake of keeping a car, your family will then have to visit you in prison for a very long time!

Thats what insurance is for. And as for saying they will take a bullet, if you do actually have a Glock at home then you are indeed a very silly man IMO frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but how the hell will that help, for the sake of keeping a car, your family will then have to visit you in prison for a very long time!

Thats what insurance is for. And as for saying they will take a bullet, if you do actually have a Glock at home then you are indeed a very silly man IMO frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's from SA mate, different situation. In the UK if you play along you're likely to "only" lose your car, if you do that in SA you're still likely to get a beating or shot.

As stated before, I'd hand my keys over, although every moral fibre in my body says I should get evil on their bitch ass's, I'd have to be sensible. Obviously if family or friends were at risk then I'd have to (try) and defend them, but as much as I love my car, I prefer my freedom and ultimately my life beerchug.gif

I am not having a go at anyone, but as RedRobin said, it's VERY different from typing on a forum to being woken up at 2am with a knife/gun in your face asking for your car keys.

Ahhh, that will teach me not to read the posters location smashfreakB.gif

But I still stand by my comments! Its not worth it!

I recall a post on here whereby a TSNer was threatened at gunpoint for his R32 I think, It cannot be a nice experience, and there is no way you could just jump up out of bed and take them on when they already have a gun on you.

Everyone seems to think that they will instantly realise when a burglar is breaking into the house and that they will be waiting for billy burglar at the top of the stairs, it doesnt usually happen like that crazy.gif

I notice Stabb is from SA - different world to us as far as violent crime goes. I'm not excusing keeping a gun at home but you have to prepare yourself for the level of threat you expect to face. How many of us would buy a gun for "protection" for eg, if we moved to the USA where most homes have at least one? Take it from me, despite press hysteria, society (even criminal society) is still more civilised here than other parts of the world

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's less about the car and more about the people! As for the Glock - not an easy decision by any means, but you can only fight fire with fire!

In case anyone takes offence, i'm not saying SA (or any society) is uncivilised but simply that violent crime is on a different level in certain places to anything we know

[ QUOTE ]

Take it from me, despite press hysteria, society (even criminal society) is still more civilised here than other parts of the world

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think we're all fairly safe here in the UK, mind you, I have a big, mean, nasty, evil guard dog, so nobody better mess with me jump.gif

CIMG0078.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's less about the car and more about the people! As for the Glock - not an easy decision by any means, but you can only fight fire with fire!

[/ QUOTE ]

Stabb, i didnt see you that you are in SA 169144-ok.gif

I realise that things are on a different level in some parts of SA 169144-ok.gif