MK5 GTI camber adjustment

andychung

Hi GTI MK5 owners, I see some illustration shows the damper itself of MK5 GTI do not have 2 screws to adjust the camber (my MK3 VR6 got these screws for camber adjustment). The damper simply insert into the wheel hub instead of fixed by screws.

I wonder how the the camber of MK5 be adjusted, or simply can't change camber? I ask because I am going to be a GTI owner and plan to change damper (maybe Koni FSD). I want to make sure the camber will be unchanged if change the damper only. Thanks!

A Warm Welcome to TSN, Andy.

Snoopy will doubtless know the answer to your question. I know of three regular TSN members, including myself, who have modded to Koni FSD (but also with heavier springs and anti-roll bars) and we each think they are truly awesome notworthy.gif.

Check out and surf from this web page about Koni FSD: Link

Hi Robin, thanks for your help. After reading the details of FSD. Seems it a certain (original) ride height to let it function. Is it the best setting for FSD + original spring + Anti-roll bars?

FYI professional garage for VW in HK are hard to find...so it will be less worry if changing only damper won't change the camber/toe setting...because I have bad experience on this frown.gif

It's best to contact (email?) Koni to confirm, but I'm fairly certain that you should fit slightly heavier springs with the FSDs. Eibach Pro-Kit are recommended but there are other suitable ones. For the Koni FSDs to work fully the suspension is not lowered - But it does 'settle' a max of 5mm and a good fitter will laser check the alignment after installation and taking the car out for a couple of miles.

Obviously it makes best sense to also fit Anti-roll bars to get the full benefit. The standard GTI suspension is very good but this suspension mod makes it excellent and makes you think it should have been standard but I guess it's all down to production costs. Koni FSDs are now standard on some of the supercars. My suspension mod was done by a race-car mechanic rather than a garage.

Great thanks Robin. But I see the Eibach Pro kit is lowing down to 1.2 inch (around 30mm). With the GTI lower 15mm compare with standard MK V. It is 15mm more. Is it ok as you mentioned a max of 5mm.

I know Lambo fit FSD as standard also...in HK good and resonsible garage is hard to find, not to say race-car mechanic....that's a major reason why I give up my 93' VR6 and move to Mark V GTI....