Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aussie_WAITING

Australian MK5 Owners (...and orderers) :-/

148 posts in this topic

Hi all. Just came across the forum whilst looking for other Australian Mk5 people. I ordered my MK5 5th September 2005, i was told at that point it'd be April 2006 delivery, last i heard it's going to be a further 2 months atleast on that as they haven't even got a consignment number for it yet.

Anyway, i was just curious if there's any other australians out there that are waiting for their Mk5 (and i know there's a lot of you!!) Just wondering, how long have you been waiting?

thanks guys!

james

I'm not from Australia but nevertheless welcome to the forums. beerchug.gif

smashfreakB.giffrown.gif

Just looking through the excellent Mk5 gallery you guys have on here, and i'm frown.gif I WANT MY GTI !!!! This is so painful, they're so gorgeous! (and believe it or not i've never test drove the thing ... i bought it based purely on looks and reviews and want to savour the driving experience in my very own one) smile.gif

again....this is just painful!

ps. my order is black/beige leather/manual/xenons

pps. cheers for the welcome smile.gif

Welcome to TSN 169144-ok.gif.

There's quite a few Oz and NZ GTIers in this forum but on the different time zone for posting.

You are simply going to be amazed when you actually drive the Mk5 GTI. It'll take 1,000 miles to run in properly and begin to get familiar with how she feels but I doubt if you'll be at all disappointed.

Hi, not from Oz, but NZ. Welcome to TSN!

I was lucky enough to wait only 3 weeks for mine, and it was to my exact spec (the dealer had preordered stock). The wait will be worth it!

Hello James - I ordered in mid August 05 - was told March/April for delivery (DSG, Bi-Xenon, Sat-Nav).

Have spoken to the dealer and they assure me it should be here in Late March or April.

But I'm still not sure it's been built yet.

So about 8 months wait after ordering in August.

I understand now if you order one it's 9 months wait plus 2 months for delivery 11 months total shocked.gif

You think you've got it bad waiting 3 months in the UK.

[ QUOTE ]

Hello James - I ordered in mid August 05 - was told March/April for delivery (DSG, Bi-Xenon, Sat-Nav).

Have spoken to the dealer and they assure me it should be here in Late March or April.

But I'm still not sure it's been built yet.

So about 8 months wait after ordering in August.

I understand now if you order one it's 9 months wait plus 2 months for delivery 11 months total shocked.gif

You think you've got it bad waiting 3 months in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think I could wait 11 months to be honest.

I've had my car since the first week of July. I purchased from the initial shipment via a dealer I know - not so much as a friend- but more than just a causal acquaitance.

Anyway, in a recent discussion with him (I'm arranging a Jetta for a friend) we got talking GTI's and 8/9 months seems to be the typical waiting period. It seems to depend on what spec the car is - manuals generally result in quicker deliveries than DSG. Standard cars (no DSG, Xenons, Sat/Nav, Sunroof or Leather) or full house cars - with the lot seem also to be quicker than mix and match specs. I don't know why it just seems to be the way it is.

Anyway, I can assure everyone waiting it is well worth it. I don't know of anybody who has been disappointed with the car once they have their hands on it. You just have to be patient - March or April aren't that far away now.

James ,

I see in a later post of yours that your spec is very personal. That might be holding it up a little more than a a standard or full house car according to my contact. Just why that should be I'm not sure but the beige leather, which will look great with the black is going to be a rarish combination.

Ian

mine is 11 month wait. ordered mine in January and will not take delivery until December, maybe even January!

Welcome to TSN, these guys are a knowledgeable bunch!

With a wait like you will most likely get a MY07 car, which is a bonus I guess. Not that we know exactly MY07 will bring yet!

I think the GTI allocation in NZ is freeing up a bit, some waiting for their GTI have taken a Mk5 R32 instead as they're much easier to get.

Hi all. I'm also from Sydney Australia. I ordered mine in late Oct. Originally expecting it to arrive in April. The dealer called me a month ago and said it will be delayed til July, but has got a build number (whatever) from the factory. My spec is standard black with DSG. Hopefully no further delays ... keen to replace my current car (hehe ... divorce .. new wife!!)

[ QUOTE ]

With a wait like you will most likely get a MY07 car, which is a bonus I guess. Not that we know exactly MY07 will bring yet!

I think the GTI allocation in NZ is freeing up a bit, some waiting for their GTI have taken a Mk5 R32 instead as they're much easier to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose there is something good about getting the GTI so late. Having the MY07 would certainly help with resale. I am currently trying to sell my car, so i have resale on the mind!

the R32 is a pretty big jump in price for memory. I love it whenever i see a BMW 130i and i know they bought the wrong car slap.gif (refering to Top Gear's review of the R32 and the 130i) 1.gif

It is a bit of price jump, but if you option up the GTI it can get pretty close. I guess if you are sick of waiting it might be a premium that some are prepared to pay.

Quote:

"it'd be April 2006 delivery, last i heard it's going to be a further 2 months atleast on that as they haven't even got a consignment number for it yet."

By consignment nos im assuming you mean commission nos? This number will form the last 6 digits of your chassis nos when it finally gets build, and it's also the number to use to track the journey of the build of the car. Without this number your car may not be placed in a que to be built if what my stealer says is to be true. I placed my order in late Jan and got my commission number a few days later. I then called VW australia told them of my commission nos and they told me my car was due to be built in wk 37 (Sept) with delivery in Dec sometime.

The thing you need to watch out for is lying stealers. Each dealership in Aus is assigned 11 Gti's to sell per calender year, when they clock this nos they won't be assigned a new commission nos till the following calander year! Stealers lie (not all but some)! One dealership in Melb on the posh side of town near a famous river of ours told me that all the GTI's were sold out and if you wanted to order a new one it wouldn't get here till mid 07 and this was the same across Austrlaia. What they did is they ordered all their GTI's in the one go to their spec under false names and then attempt to sell them off to customers pre delivery or off the showroom floor. Which is fine if you want their spec i suppose, but when i told them of my spec they looked me in the face laughed and said i should be expecting mid 07. I wasn't too impressed to say the least as i had placed my order the day before. So I went back to my stealer got all the crap sorted out, got my comm nos, checked it out with VW Aus and i was content again. Those other feckers at the other stealership had intent only to sell the cars they had pre-purchased with their own specs and lie through their teeth in doing so.

So just be careful. If i were you i'd go back to your stealer demand a commission nos, if they cant supply u with one ur gonna be in the shits. Call VW Australia as well mayb they can do something for ya. Good luck! The wait is pretty damn long!

Thank's Toti, i might give my stealer a call next week and see what they can do. I tried asking them if the Australian GTI came with the midline or the highline multifunction computer and he had no idea what i was talking about. he went and read out the brouchure telling me what the multifunction computer did... i had the brouchure. What are the main differences between the 2?

AFAIK highline is only available with Sat Nav in Australia and New Zealand, otherwise you get midline.

The differences are:

1. Highline is a bigger display which graphically shows the car/doors etc

2. Highline allows you to change certain car settings such as light delays etc

If you have midline you still get the same trip computer functionality (eg travel time, fuel consumption, out door temp sensor etc). If you want to change car settings you need to visit your dealer though.

Thank you very much. That is rather frustrating! I would have definitely chosen the highline for a couple of hundred dollars, but I didn’t see the value or necessity of the sat-nav.

Personaly find with dsg it is much easier to read the midline gear selection (being verticale and larger font). The highline is horizontal and is confusing to read at a quick glance, as the mile/trip numbers etc... which are just above tend to blend into the dsg gear numbers. imho

Agree with everything said. In Australia the wait is very very long at the moment, at least 11 months. I ordered my GTi early Jan 2006 from a Melbourne Dealer (the one near the river) and he was vey honest and said that I would be waiting at least 6 to 7 months if not longer. Did not try to flog me any pre-ordered car and even when I asked about certain options the salesman did not push them.

I got my commission number and called VW Aust and got a build week and an expected delivery date (well delivery month!)told that they are trying to produce more GTi's and if they can I could be lucky and get it in July. If not it would be September.

I agree with the prvious poster (can't see who as page has scrolled over) that you need to get your commisson number and contact VW Aus to (try?) to get a firm delivery date.

I've had a few "test" drives and still think it's worth the wait compared to other makers current models avaliable. However, new models are comming out all the time and you never know whats comming up? eg the new Mazda SP3? I'm sure that you won't be waiting 11 months for a Jap car!

[ QUOTE ]

Personaly find with dsg it is much easier to read the midline gear selection (being verticale and larger font). The highline is horizontal and is confusing to read at a quick glance, as the mile/trip numbers etc... which are just above tend to blend into the dsg gear numbers. imho

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too actually, and I'm probably one of the few that thinks the midline actually looks classier. A bit less functional though.

wow! one day and 3 pages of relpies, that's great!

I've just emailed the dealer asking for commission number and will take it from there, possibly call VW directly...

I really really want it for april frown.gif Which would be 7-8 months i would have waited ... but yeh from what you're saying june/july looks more promising.

While i have you all, at the risk of going off on a tangent, should i add the satnav to my order? the guidance/maps etc doesn't grab me (not at all interested) but does it offer any other features that make it worthwhile? obviously doesn't have tv, which would be cool.

ps. i keep hassling the dealer about getting bluetooth for my phone but they say it's still not available in australia so the phone buttons on the steering wheel are useless (pretty much a quote from dealer) Anyone in australia been able to get it?

Just wait until Red Robin wakes up - you'll find lots of extra stuff happens when he's on line.

As far as I can see unless you have Sat/Nav the midline computer is standard in Oz and there is no option to upgrade. Our cars come pretty well equipped but fewer options than those available in the UK and Europe - like cruise is an optoption in the UK, as are variations to the sound system, folding mirrors, more colours and so on.

hmmmm funny...she convenietly 'JUST' got the commission number when i asked for it, she replied about 15 minutes after i sent my email requesting it! She says she's off tomorrow but will check tuesday to see where it is in the production line and she also made a point of saying, ", so at least for the moment we have something. The waiting time now is 12 months good you ordered your car when you did..."

GRRRRR smashfreakB.gif she better have good news come tuesday. Where's the praying emoticon....c'monnnnnnn april!

Ordering the car when I did meant a couple of compromises - red wasn't my first choice clour - the black or blue would have been preferred. I was also toying with the idea of Sat/Nav- not that i ever would have used it (I live in Melbourne for heaven sake) but I thought the interior looked a bit smarter with the larger screen.

Anyway, I now love the red - and adore the car.