Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aussie_WAITING

Australian MK5 Owners (...and orderers) :-/

148 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

managed to find out my car is being made this week, does anyone know how long it takes from being made to being put on a ship? i've also found out there's a ship leaving on the 10th of april so do you think it'll make that one? jump.gif (very excited!!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

My car was built on 20/2, loaded on ship 28/2 (arrived in Melbourne 21/3, pickup Friday?!!!)

So your car should easily get on board by 10/4

That would seem about right given my experience last year.

OK! sooooo... i've been tracking the ship online which is due to arrive today and leave tomorrow so my gti 169144-ok.gif should be on shore today/tomorrow.

Thing is, i got an email yesterday from the dealer notifying me that the car is due tomorrow and that from there it takes 10 days to get to their depo which is a 20 minute drive from where the ship will drop the car off, she then said the car is checked out etc and said that takes a few days - and from this said i should "hopefully" expect to be able to pick up by the end of the month.

There's quite a few days missing in there iamwithstupid.gif

I hope she's wrong, it will really suck if my car is in town today and i don't get to see it for a month. frown.gif

My guess would be a week to 10 days to get the car unloaded, cleared from cusoms, prepped etc etc.

Whatever the cas it's not long now.

vroom vroom ECLIPSe.gif hehe

hey what insurance company are you aust. guys using? I'm a youngin (24) so i thought it'd be costly, but NRMA have quoted just over $1300, just car quoted $1900 with stupid excesses and i'm waiting on allianz. NRMA seem pretty cheap compared to what some of my colleagues and friends pay for their cars not nearly as powerful or expensive as the gti.

I'll be 27 when i get my wheels and RACV hav quoted around 1180. You get a much better deal if its a brand new car and also because the golf has 5 doors it's not classed as a sports car, even though we all now it's as sporty as all hell! Oh well more cash in the pocket for us! SPericani2.gif

Hi Aussie WAITING

I'm guessing you are in Perth? I ordered mine (Red/DSG/Sunroof) late in December and was told to expect delivery in Aug/Sep. Got a surprise mail yesterday saying it was arriving this week and I could take delivery a couple of weeks after. Which dealer did you use?

As for insurance try www.artog.com.au they will get quotes from a number of insurers for you.

sorry i didn't have location in profile - i do now! smile.gif I'm trying that site out. cheers!

Wow, $2200 is a lot!

My insurance in Auckland is about NZD$685 per year and that's for the most comprehensive cover available, but with no under 25 drivers.

I am a 26 yo driver, rating one. Total cost per year of $875.

Pretty good considering my current Saab 93 Convertible is $1200 per year (apparently because of the low pressure turbo), but golf is not seen as a high risk car. Apparently Xenons can up the premiums, due to repair costs for what could be a small incident.

one of the advantages of living in Wagga I would suspect!!!

Happy to say my car was built on the 24th, loaded onto the MEDEA on the 26th and is cruising its way toward Oz. Docking in Sydney on the 17th. Here's hoping I'll have my car by the end of the month. If not, it'll certainly be here by my birthday on the 12th of June... 169144-ok.gif

Nice part of the world.....and not too many GTI's around I should think. Yours should remain fairly exclusive - unlike some streets in the UK it seems.

I guess the price of Optimax or Ultimate offsets the cheaper insurance a bit over time.

My car will be parked behind 2 security gates with security cameras, yet because insurance is based on a postcode the price has gone up by c$600 pa since i moved into the city.

I did an online quote and if i was over 25 the bill would be around $1,200pa

There are now three GTIs in Wagga - the other two are silver. We always pay inflated prices for fuel although $1.48 a litre for Optimax is probably on a par with Sydney at the moment.

BP Ultimate (98) is over $1.80 per litre in NZ now....

That would hurt a bit.

I'm off to the UK for a month the end of next week. I think fuel is about 1 pound per litre - that's about $2.40 in Aussie dollars- or about a $132 per tank. I hope the hire car is a diesel.

Locally I don't have to do too many k's - I work from home, so none of my driving is for the communte. The fuel prices haven't made any real ly noticable difference to me at this stage as a result.

Hi Oz - Optimax is currently £1.01 per litre in the South West of the UK but does fluctuate. So that's about your worst case.

Have you managed to arrange any meets with TSNers while in the UK ? If you could post any dates where you might be free for a lunch or dinner, some of us might be able to hook up with you.

I'm heading over to the Continent in early June for five weeks or so. I've booked a diesel hire car whilst I'm in France. I think I'll use public transport when I hit London for a four or five day stopover before I head off to NY. I'm going to miss my new GTI.

Hi Country Boy,

I'm stuck out in east Anglia for most of my stay in the UK, so I need the car. I'm hoping not to have to go into London at all this trip.

I've got a trip to Bristol, Southhampton and one to Lincoln.

There will be others I'm sure. I'm kind of doing the reverse of you, spnding just 4 days on the Continent before coming home via Beijing.

I'll miss the car - I'll probabaly cop some pretty average Vectra or Laguna (I'm renting via AVIS) but think of putting in a request for the new Passat, diesel of course.

I need a largish car over there to get the in laws in. Enjoy your trip!!

Hi Red,

No, I haven't yet but would be keen to do so.

Just need to finalise a trip down toward the West Country - via Bournemouth, Warminister and Bristol. (No not going as far as the wild west) As soon as I get that sorted (Monday I hope) then I could make some arrangements.

How far are you from either Bristol or Warminister?

Speak next week.

Regards,

Ian