GTI MK5 is not the fastest. OFFICIAL!

MOSE

[ QUOTE ]

I have never seen an E46 330 clocked in the 5's, that seems optimistic to me.

Not that i'm challenging the accuracy of the motoring press or anything UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possible the 330 EVO figured was, ahem, a nicely loosened up press car... grin.gif

Funnily enough, EVO have clocked the new (E90) 330i half a second slower to sixty (6.4) but half a second or so quicker to the ton.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have never seen an E46 330 clocked in the 5's, that seems optimistic to me.

Not that i'm challenging the accuracy of the motoring press or anything UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possible the 330 EVO figured was, ahem, a nicely loosened up press car... grin.gif

Funnily enough, EVO have clocked the new (E90) 330i half a second slower to sixty (6.4) but half a second or so quicker to the ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any rational bunch of people would check their timming equipment, with those kind of senarios. Think EVO should do the same, rather than make a guess to explain their timming inconsistencies. wink.gif

The only guessing was me saying the E46 they tested might have been a bit lose.

And any rational bunch of people with any knowledge about cars - like for example the chaps at EVO - would be able to explain the timing differences perfectly well. You could figure two supposedly identical cars with the same equipment on the same strip and get figures over half a second different. Even taking that out of the equation, there could be subtle differences in gear ratios and engine mapping between the E46 and E90 that explain why the E90 is slower to 60 but quicker to 100. znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The only guessing was me saying the E46 they tested might have been a bit lose.

And any rational bunch of people with any knowledge about cars - like for example the chaps at EVO - would be able to explain the timing differences perfectly well. You could figure two supposedly identical cars with the same equipment on the same strip and get figures over half a second different. Even taking that out of the equation, there could be subtle differences in gear ratios and engine mapping between the E46 and E90 that explain why the E90 is slower to 60 but quicker to 100. znaika.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ices_blah.gifices_blah.gifices_blah.gif The simple fact is a stock e90 330CI Does not clock 5.8 to 0-60 mph. suicide.gif

True. But a stock E46 330i Sport saloon did clock 5.9 in EVO's hands! I'm guessing Mr Barker is a bit more brutal than most, as EVO's figures are often a few tenths quicker than the official manufacturers'. (That and the fact EVO figure 0-60mph, not 0-100km/h) crazy.gif

By the way, official manufacturers' figures are:

BMW 330i E46: 0-62mph in 6.5 secs (coupe and saloon).

BMW 330i E90: 0-62mph in 6.3 secs.

VW Golf GTI: 0-62mph in 7.2 secs.

So the GTI's still nearly a second slower whichever way you look at it. pengy.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

So the GTI's still nearly a second slower whichever way you look at it. pengy.gifgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

official BMW e90 330ci club sport figures are:

CAR: BMW 330Ci Clubsport coupe

PRICE: £33,465 - on the road

INSURANCE GROUP: 17E

CO2 EMISSIONS: 218g/km

PERFORMANCE: 0-60mph 6.5s / Max Speed 155mph

Manufactures time for a DSG gti without launch control is 0-62 in 6.7s

Not sure where you got your figures from, but try the BMW web site!

pengy.gifpengy.gifsmashfreakB.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

am i being stupid again, but im thinking it is possible for U.S bmw's to be set up differently to european ones. Anyway any car would feel better over there, its like driving on carpet the roads are soo smooth

[/ QUOTE ]

Some roads are smooth mate, depends where you go frown.gif

Near us we've got some VERY rough roads, with lumps of conrete in the carriageway EEK2.GIF

But I do agree, their road system in general is far superior to ours, although all my American friends complain at the lack of corners wink.gif

p.s. I am sure everyone knows, but the GTI in the US rides higher than the European GTI. I don't know about BMW's over there, but the American market does tend (generalising here) to be more orientated towards comfort rather than performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US is quite a large country. There are flat areas and there are twisty bits.

It depends on where one lives and how far one wants to drive to enjoy the drive.

Now, as far as what I'm smoking smile.gif, just Marlboro.

I have 325i and I'm looking to get a GTI.

And, I'm here to tell you that in a handling contest, which is what I was responding to (might want to take read at the thread first), the 325i, at least with the sport suspension, would "destroy" the GTI. I used the word "destroy" as it was in the comments I was responding to.

The 3 series is one of the finest balanced cars out there.

The 330i and the 325i are pretty much the same car except for larger brakes on the 330 and more power in the 330. But, when it comes to handling, it's how one can carry the speed that counts.

One more thing, I have an older 325i, the previous E46 generation, which does have "only" 184hp. My car still handles better, read "faster", than the GTI. The GTI is more fun to me cause I like the overall attitude and feel of it.

But, I'm a rare breed in that I find high HP FWD to be entertaining to drive.

It's not the fastest around the twisties, especially compared to a BMW with RWD, but it's fun non the less.

To be completely fair we must compare the current E90 325i to the GTI as they are both the new models. The new E90 handles even better than the previous E46. So, from a handling standpoint the 325i will destroy the GTI.

In terms of power and acceleration, the increased power in the Euro market is up to 215hp I believe. In the US our 325i comes with the 3.0 liter engine, not as highly tuned as the 330's 3.0. The US 325i with the 3.0 rates at 215hp and in proper manual form has done 0-60 in 6.1. That's pretty darn quick.

As far a being heavy, yeah it is but you think the GTI is light?

The Si is over 400lbs lighter than the GTI. The GTI US curb weight is

3308. The US 325i curb weight is 3348. Hardly a difference.

The GTI in the US is higher due to bumper regs not because driving enthusiasts want softer cars.

However, we have some awful roads here in the US, especially in the snowy areas where road salt is used extensively. A more compliant suspension actually handles better as the tires can ride over the rough stuff.

If the suspension is too firm the tires lose road contact and you're handling advantage is thus negated. BMW makes the BEST suspension in everyday performance vehicles I've ever driven. They blend handling along with ride control. That is part of why it is a drivers car.

The GTI is wonderful as well and much better than previous models in terms of suspension tuning. Yet, it's still not as good as a 3 series with sport suspension.

That's my take, feel free to use it.

SMOKE6.GIF

TT

[ QUOTE ]

I have 325i and I'm looking to get a GTI.

And, I'm here to tell you that in a handling contest, which is what I was responding to (might want to take read at the thread first), the 325i, at least with the sport suspension, would "destroy" the GTI. I used the word "destroy" as it was in the comments I was responding to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a 3 series will destroy a GTI handling wise. I've driven a 320 and I get use of an M3 CSL, I'd only say that the CSL is the better handling...

[ QUOTE ]

It's not the fastest around the twisties, especially compared to a BMW with RWD, but it's fun non the less.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you still think a 325 will beat a GTI round the twisties just because it's RWD?

[ QUOTE ]

The GTI in the US is higher due to bumper regs not because driving enthusiasts want softer cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's due to higher bumper regs, sorry if I made it sound like it was a general market "thing". However American cars do typically feature softer suspension than European cars and not always for reasons of regs. Just compare a Ford Mondeo to a Crown Victoria. Similar cars, similar intended market placement, yet very different suspension set up.

[ QUOTE ]

BMW makes the BEST suspension in everyday performance vehicles I've ever driven. They blend handling along with ride control. That is part of why it is a drivers car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it's very good, but I find that BMW's ride very firmly.

[ QUOTE ]

The GTI is wonderful as well and much better than previous models in terms of suspension tuning. Yet, it's still not as good as a 3 series with sport suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask why you're buying a GTI? If the 325 is much quicker, better handling etc etc etc...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not usually a pedant, it must be some effect you're having on me.

The Club Sport you quote is an E46. The E90 coupe isn't out yet!

ha.gif I win! pengy.gifsmashfreakB.gifgrin.gif

I know its completely different but my brother has the higher powered RX8 which is a superb handle, you have to remember it is very light, the engine is positioned behind the front wheels and is very very light and it is rear wheel drive. Now the Mazda is better in the corners than the R no question even though the suspension is much softer. However the R is faster so it does make up for it. I believe the engine is sat back in the Bimmer to which really does make a difference, and on long sweapy fast corners im sure would feel more sure footed than the Gti. However if the Gti is anything like my R then it will be way more fun to drive, and as it is your baby you will big it up to the max. And that my friends is why my R goes quicker to 30 than a Macca F1.

Case solved! znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not usually a pedant, it must be some effect you're having on me.

The Club Sport you quote is an E46. The E90 coupe isn't out yet!

ha.gif I win! pengy.gifsmashfreakB.gifgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

iamwithstupid.gif then exchange the "BMW e90 330ci club sport figures" with "BMW e46 330ci club sport figures" and stop being pedantic. Anyway doubt you will get this post till the morning as its well past your bedtime SLEEP5.GIFthe_finger.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The US 325i with the 3.0 rates at 215hp and in proper manual form has done 0-60 in 6.1. That's pretty darn quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well according to the BMW US website, the 325 pulls 60 in 6.7 seconds (manual) which is exactly the same as the DSG GTI. As for handling, my Coupe sport was simply incredible and does shame my GTI... but as for destroying a GTI round the twisties... I certainly wouldn't want to meet one if i was in a 325ci UHOH7.GIF

I can only comment based on experience. I've owned many BM's and now a GTI, A 330 would be a challenge, a 325... SMOKE6.GIF