17s or 18s

selwynf

hi, i'm a newbie... I'm flogging my Focus RS to get myself a GTi five door (bit more practicality). one thing i simply CAN NOT get my head round is whether to go for the 17s or the 18s. I can't get a test drive (i'm in Gibraltar) and don't know what they do to ride quality. They're both going to be better than the RS, I know that, but i haven't got a clue.

Please help.

thanks

slap.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

one thing i simply CAN NOT get my head round is whether to go for the 17s or the 18s

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even think about it, for £445, the 18"s make the GTI and are an absolute work of art up close (forged and polished alluminium)

Food for thought... The 18" monzas cost over £2500 to fit afterwards EEK2.GIF so they're a bargain to say the least IMO.

PS: I can't think of a more frustrating place to to own a GTI than Gib!!! crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

hi, i'm a newbie... I'm flogging my Focus RS to get myself a GTi five door (bit more practicality). one thing i simply CAN NOT get my head round is whether to go for the 17s or the 18s. I can't get a test drive (i'm in Gibraltar) and don't know what they do to ride quality. They're both going to be better than the RS, I know that, but i haven't got a clue.

Please help.

thanks

slap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you pop over to Malaga or Marbella for a test?

I decided to go for 17s for greater ride quality and less road noise (however small). Also, repairing the 17s will be much easier, although hopefully I won't have to!

18s do look the business, but I'm not convinced they fit with the subtle GTI image though. If you have a budget, I'd personally recommend putting the money elsewhere. How about the Xenons?

18s was the only real 'must have' option for me. Definitely set the car off as they're so unique and the finish is lovely. Bit worried about reports of them corroding and such like, but so far it seems people are managing to have them replaced without too much bother. Plus for what they cost it almost seems worth the risk - a couple of years down the line a set of 17's will be on Ebay for not a lot of money I reckon if the worst was to happen.

The 17s have a better ride & are easy to clean.

Kerb damage repairs on the 18s will I suspect be more expensive.

Visually the 18s on the GTI are OTT IMO but at least VW give us all the option to choose what we personally like.

If I'm reading your post correctly are you not test driving the car at all before ordering ??

Hi again, thanks for the replies.

I went to the dealer closest to me in Spain but he told me that none of the dealers in Andalucia would have a car registered for test driving, normal Golf maybe; GTi, never. I'll ring up Malaga see what they say...

Gib's perfect place to have GTi mate... Car's parked in its garage all week long (250cc scooter motorised transport of choice) and then, on the weekends, off to Spain and some truly unbelievable roads...

Given how harsh the ride is on the RS, i'm sure i'll be greatly relieved with the Golf, even on the 18s. I'm going for them, and Xenon. Standard interior, no sat nav (i hear its not too good)

Stealer mentioned something about there now being an option for iPod installation. He wasn't too sure. What does he mean? i'd be interested in that for sure.

What's the golf like to reverse. Its Gib, so my parking in tight spots is simply masterful but i wonder whether i'd benefit from having the parking sensors...

thanks for all your input people... its going to hurt to sell the RS but its time to move on, and i'm moving on to something pretty incredible too (RS is only one here, that special!)

[ QUOTE ]

The 17s have a better ride & are easy to clean.

Kerb damage repairs on the 18s will I suspect be more expensive.

Visually the 18s on the GTI are OTT IMO but at least VW give us all the option to choose what we personally like.

If I'm reading your post correctly are you not test driving the car at all before ordering ??

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what its looking like. I bought the RS without a test drive too actually...

1.gif

People feel quite strongly either way. Ride difference is not very noticeable but the 18s are more expensive to refurb. They look good on colours like Steel Grey, Candy White, and the Blacks but not on Tornado Red imo. Better to spend the money on Xenons or towards a suspension mod (Koni FSD) for those Southern Spanish roads, unless you can afford it all fully loaded.

[ QUOTE ]

People feel quite strongly either way. Ride difference is not very noticeable but the 18s are more expensive to refurb. They look good on colours like Steel Grey, Candy White, and the Blacks but not on Tornado Red imo. Better to spend the money on Xenons or towards a suspension mod (Koni FSD) for those Southern Spanish roads, unless you can afford it all fully loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got 17ins or 18ins red

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Red you forgot to mention that he could also use the money to upgrade to a Milltek 169144-ok.gifgrin.gif

I really don't think the 18's wheel looks that great.

It sort of looks like a cheese slicer blade in a food processor.

smile.gif

I'm sticking with the US 17", which look like a lace pattern and that means pain in the arse to clean. I'm already looking for proper sport aftermarket wheels. I found a set that shaves at least 10-14lbs. per wheel of unsprung weight. So, if looks are important go with what you like to look like.

If performance is a consideration, then go with some other style and look for something lighter in weight.

Even the difference in OEM 17" and 18" can be appreciable. The 17 may be 2-3lbs lighter and the tires can be 2-5 or more lbs. lighter. That has it's own benefits especially when you can spend the cash on better rubber.

Now you've got better ride, better stick, and lighter unsprung weight for accelerating, braking, and cornering.

If you like the look of the optional 18" wheel, then it is a great deal considering the better tires. I just find it more cosmetic than dynamic in terms of driving. To each his own.

TT

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't think the 18's wheel looks that great.

It sort of looks like a cheese slicer blade in a food processor.

smile.gif

Are we talking about the same wheels?????????????

I'm sticking with the US 17", which look like a lace pattern and that means pain in the arse to clean. I'm already looking for proper sport aftermarket wheels. I found a set that shaves at least 10-14lbs. per wheel of unsprung weight. So, if looks are important go with what you like to look like.

If performance is a consideration, then go with some other style and look for something lighter in weight.

Even the difference in OEM 17" and 18" can be appreciable. The 17 may be 2-3lbs lighter and the tires can be 2-5 or more lbs. lighter. That has it's own benefits especially when you can spend the cash on better rubber.

Now you've got better ride, better stick, and lighter unsprung weight for accelerating, braking, and cornering.

If you like the look of the optional 18" wheel, then it is a great deal considering the better tires. I just find it more cosmetic than dynamic in terms of driving. To each his own.

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking about the same wheels???????????