Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
selwynf

17s or 18s

187 posts in this topic

ive ordered Candy white and 18's... seems a lot of people are scared to order white but i just want the retro GTI i could never afford to insure when i as younger!

Personal opinion - the 18's are the daddies! Remember they arent just a bigger size, the finish is also different.

Surely a GTI with only 17" wheels will be "one to avoid" come resale! crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

ive ordered Candy white and 18's... seems a lot of people are scared to order white but i just want the retro GTI i could never afford to insure when i as younger!

Personal opinion - the 18's are the daddies! Remember they arent just a bigger size, the finish is also different.

[/ QUOTE ]

good man

I think this is a matter of personal preference but I think the 18's look amazing. I was worried about the ride but the dealer said anyone would be hard pressed to notice the difference. I had 17's on my test drive so I'll have to wait and see if he was right or not. Plus, being an accountant, I'm hoping the 18's will pour cold water on my boring image!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....Huh? That doesn't make sense. Not absolutely everybody prefers the 18s.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no those with 17's dont seem to. Funny that jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me....

I think 99% of people buying a GTI 2nd-hand will be looking for the 18" wheels too!

GTI drivers typically want performance AND image. If they just want performance, they'll debadge etc.

But most people want both. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Plus, being an accountant, I'm hoping the 18's will pour cold water on my boring image!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Not all accountants are 'boring' - Last Tuesday, instead of our usual monthly lunch meet in Wiltshire, my accountant took me and his lady to lunch in Geneva!! Though he is a very longstanding friend who gets air tickets for next to nothing.

Good stuff Red, I like to think of myself as the new breed of accountant as well! Can I also say that I'm new to this site but have been reading it for a couple of months and I've found your posts to be full of useful info and level-headed advice. Thanks a lot man!

....I see your point but nothing like 99% of people have bought their GTI with 18s. I happen to much prefer the appearance/finish of the 17s - I personally find the 18s too fussy and not 'honest' to material (painted up instead of the alloy look).

[ QUOTE ]

....I see your point but nothing like 99% of people have bought their GTI with 18s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you win.... 97.5% then! tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Good stuff Red, I like to think of myself as the new breed of accountant as well! Can I also say that I'm new to this site but have been reading it for a couple of months and I've found your posts to be full of useful info and level-headed advice. Thanks a lot man!

[/ QUOTE ]

....So where are you taking me for lunch? grin.gif

169144-ok.gif Cheers

Anyone here who has 18's and wishes he/she had 17's..........

Anyone have 17's and wish they had 18's?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me....

I think 99% of people buying a GTI 2nd-hand will be looking for the 18" wheels too!

GTI drivers typically want performance AND image. If they just want performance, they'll debadge etc.

But most people want both. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

99%? Are you sure that's not plucked out of thin air?

I remember seeing a poll somewhere on here a while back, and I believe it was something like 54%-46% in favour of 17s.

I chose 17s because I want 17s. If I wanted 18s I'd have ordered them. Simple as that really. People have their own reasons for their choices.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....I see your point but nothing like 99% of people have bought their GTI with 18s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you win.... 97.5% then! tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I reckon it's probably something like 65% 18s and 35% 17s.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I personally find the 18s too fussy and not 'honest' to material (painted up instead of the alloy look).

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean mate, i'm not with! confused.gif mine are forged metal that's been laquered and dark metallic grey inserts which are painted cool.gif, no other paint that i can see!

Anyway, It's all personal preference, but I think the 18"s are a work of art... man i'd have one as a coffee table if i could! coffee.gif

TBH, when i first specced up a GTI, I went for 17"s because i thought the 18"s were exactly the same, just bigger. When i saw them however (in the flesh) i realised how wrong i was. Similar design, different league 169144-ok.gif

I bet anyone a million squid (or a tank of optimax wink.gif ) that the press in years to come will say... go for DSG, Xenons and 18"s!... just my opinion i know, but lets wait and see!

Not that it makes any difference mind tongue.gif

Billy - We've already done a poll on this subject but it's not meaningful because it only includes votes in a short timeframe. At different times the proportions of votes will vary.

LeMan - It's the painted grey parts I don't like. But it's exactly as you say: Just personal preference. An 18" rim would make an excellent 'drum' coffee table....With the glass cut as a round disc with no overhang 169144-ok.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

LeMan - It's the painted grey parts I don't like. But it's exactly as you say: Just personal preference. An 18" rim would make an excellent 'drum' coffee table....With the glass cut as a round disc with no overhang 169144-ok.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

and lowered in your case 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Billy - We've already done a poll on this subject but it's not meaningful because it only includes votes in a short timeframe. At different times the proportions of votes will vary.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh?... by that logic, we should never do any polls on TSN then? smashfreakB.gif

....I think you are right - Most people, especially the gentlemen of the press, will favour the 18s but I can't help what I happen to prefer. I test drove on 18s around Dorset lanes and am glad I chose the 17s.

Chav, a TSN poll on whether 17s or 18s are generally preferred in the outside world won't be meaningful. A TSN poll on the subject will merely demonstrate a relatively small 'snapshot'. No problem with TSN polls as long as they aren't taken as serious indicators of anything broader/real-world.

what is clear then, is that its down to personal prefernce, but what we all agree on is that what ever you chose they will be bolted on to a bloody good car.

Absolutely nail on head, Billy 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif. And it's a very good idea to fit wheel security such as McGards (see earlier TSN topic).