17s or 18s

selwynf

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, I`ve now had both 17`s AND 18`s, so I feel I`m well qualified to answer this (blows his own trumpet shamelessly grin.gif).

When I initially bought mine, it had 17`s on, but I always wanted the 18`s, and could not leave this alone.

After about 6 weeks driving around on the 17`s, I finally got my 18`s, and the difference to the ride is..........................................NONE !

I would honestly, hand on heart, say that the 18`s are no harder in ride, nor display any difference in turn-in speed, grip, or handling etc.

Apart from the looks, which, to me, complete the car, there is no difference at all.

(And Red, I would disagree with you here mate, about the "honesty" the finish gives, as IMHO, the 17`s are, and do look painted, whereas the 18`s have a beautiful milled finish to them.)

As has been said numerous times on this thread, "we`re all different", and personal choice is down to the owner in respect of aesthetics.

But, a final note to the original poster (sorry mate, can`t remember your moniker after reading all of this thread)............."GET THE 18`S" 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

I think we are all agreed that, whether 17s or 18s, the GTI's BBS Monzas are 'The Dog's Bollox' and look better than any other alloy on the car. I recently saw a documentary on the history of the supercar which included various Lambos. The GTI wheels are obviously inspired by these and they are a great design imo.

Something which I personally think very important is how easy they are to clean and keep clean.

Wow... i had no idea i'd get this much feedback! its all been really helpful and i've decided to go for the 18s.

And now for the bad news for you guys, i just can't keep this to myself. My GTi, Metallic Black, 5Drs, Xenons, 18s, and armrest is setting me back £18,064! Stealer here as a fantastic setup and the prices are incredible. before options it was £16,212! incredible huh? i'll see if he can get RHDs, but i doubt it.

I'll be posting often here, its been a nice warm welcome so thanks very much...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Surely a GTI with only 17" wheels will be "one to avoid" come resale! crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Huh? That doesn't make sense. Not absolutely everybody prefers the 18s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me....

I think 99% of people buying a GTI 2nd-hand will be looking for the 18" wheels too!

GTI drivers typically want performance AND image. If they just want performance, they'll debadge etc.

But most people want both. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its official, I'm not normal smashfreakB.gif as my car is both debadged and has 18s jump.gif

SelleRS..

Its just gotta be 18".. I had this same depate with myself (& TSN) last year as we have a new baby hopefully arriving in 5 weeks. We got the GTI last week with 18" and they are just great.

There is no difference in ride on 18" and if you are going DSG (AS you should) then that just makes it smoother again.

Not wanting to rub any of the lads up the wrong way - but those that say 17" are better ride and cheaper to repair obviously have 17" and wish now they had ordered 18" grin.gif

I went through all the checking and thinking you went through and I can tell you hand on heart to go 18" - you will not regret it.

Paddy

Disclaimer - I have since got a full set of nearly new 17" with tyres for £500 from one of our good members on this forum. They are sitting proud in my garage in case junior does not like 18" - cannot imagine it being the case, so guess they will be my winter wheels grin.gif My wife just told me that her mother ordered a Golf 1.4 today and has her eyes on my spare 17"s - Hmm, guess what my answer was fekr.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Its official, I'm not normal smashfreakB.gif as my car is both debadged and has 18s jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not having a go, so please don't have a go back frown.gif

Why have you debaged your GTI, don't people spot the stonking 18's, different grill and twin zorst? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to remember that GTI owners (and other golf owners), know all the differences between various golf models.

But Mr. Joe Bloggs on the street, typically doesn't! 169144-ok.gif

In the same way, lots of people are fooled (and embarrassed in 0-60 dashes) by debadged RS6's....

How they don't notice the fact that the RS6s wheels are bigger than their entire car, or the huge oval exhausts, or the sound (notworthy.gif) amazes me!... iamwithstupid.gif

grin.gif

When I made the decision my dealer had a car with 17's and a car with 18's so I could easily compare. There is just no contest in my opinion, the 18's look MUCH better.

The 17's actually look cheap if you ask me; they look painted, whereas the 18's look more substantial. As someone else commented, the 18's are a work of art.

As usual with these things on TSN, people tend to prefer what they have! Funny that.... smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

you have to remember that GTI owners (and other golf owners), know all the differences between various golf models.

In the same way, lots of people are fooled (and embarrassed in 0-60 dashes) by debadged RS6's....

How they don't notice the fact that the RS6s wheels are bigger than their entire car, or the huge oval exhausts, or the sound (notworthy.gif) amazes me!... iamwithstupid.gif

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point mate, most drivers are idiots ha.gif

I personally think that the RS6 is one of the finest cars on the road, although I've never driven one. Speaking of finest, I think you're sig is bloody brilliant mate beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point mate, most drivers are idiots ha.gif

I personally think that the RS6 is one of the finest cars on the road, although I've never driven one. Speaking of finest, I think you're sig is bloody brilliant mate beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree with Chav ROLLEY~14.GIF Most drivers are users and not enthusiasts wink.gif and theres nothing better than surprising your average vectra driving rep who thinks he's tailgating a 1.6FSi 169144-ok.gif

@ Stevie D - I was having a laugh at myself saying that I wasn't normal as I prefer to be different cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Chav, but what does that prove. Not having a dig, i just don't understand this mentality.

So mr rep says...

A/ ooh i just got sh!t on by a very fast Audi

or...

B/ ooh i just got sh!t on by an Audi RS6

I find people that debadge just want to intimidate other drivers by lulling them into thinking they're in with a chance, and then putting egg on their face. Why not just leave the badge on their in the first place - that tells them not to feck! confused.gif

or is it all about racing to prove a point! confused.giftongue.gif

BTW, not intended with hard feeling! 169144-ok.gif

Whilst I probably wont debadge my GTI I can understand those that do. Many Audi's BMW's offer a debadge option when you buy the car from new. I actually think that most cars look better without model / spec badging on them - just the manufacturer's badge. Too many cars have half the alphabet on the back of them and just IMHO it so often spoils the nice clean lines of the car. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Chav, but what does that prove. Not having a dig, i just don't understand this mentality.

So mr rep says...

A/ ooh i just got sh!t on by a very fast Audi

or...

B/ ooh i just got sh!t on by an Audi RS6

I find people that debadge just want to intimidate other drivers by lulling them into thinking they're in with a chance, and then putting egg on their face. Why not just leave the badge on their in the first place - that tells them not to feck! confused.gif

or is it all about racing to prove a point! confused.giftongue.gif

BTW, not intended with hard feeling! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries! beerchug.gif

In my experience, there are 3 types of people that debadge znaika.gif...

1) People with crap cars who want to pretend they've something better than they actually have.

These same people usually also pretend they prefer the cosmetic appearance without badges ices_blah.gif, ices_blah.gif...

2) People with very nice cars who want to be discreet. 169144-ok.gif

3) People who find it entertaining to piss all over little boy racers (sportifs2.gif) who insist on revving the nuts off (smashfreakB.gif) their cars at the lights. ECLIPSe.gif

Personally, I find (3) very entertaining. But hey, each to their own! grin.gifbeerchug.gif

.... bike.thumb.gif

Chav> I like 3 as well mate wink.gif

Although I don't condone TLGP and certainly do NOT endorse street racing, it's always fun to ease away from a barry smile.gif Even though I've grown up now and tend to rev the engine with them and get all excited, then as the lights go green I let them scream off and I simply pull away as per usual, they look a right twat **** wink.gif

I believe than in a lot of cases the car looks better debadged, mainly to be discreet but also for the appearance. I thought about it and still have the option (if they offer it) but i don't know. It's probably not worth the hassel.

Mainy, what are your thoughts of your debadged GTI? Do you have any photo's you may be able to show me? I would need to make a decision asap.

I had a class one the other day,

Mondeo man had pulled up beside me at the lights and starting showing signs of an eager getaway. I revved the car a few times just for the laugh.

The other lights started to change to red and just as they hit red I moved forward slightly and then hit the brakes as the pedestrian lights had come on.

Guess what, the mondeo just shot forward and carried on through the red light yelrotflmao.gif

As for the badge thing, If I have a GTI I want everyone to know. If if it was a 1.6 with fancy wheels etc then I can understand people debadging them to keep people guessing.