Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drewcam

Help wanted ! Problems with HDI engine

25 posts in this topic

Let me make this clear from the start...i dont know anything about engines.

I have got a prob with my van engine. Its a Citroen 2.0 Hdi 90 pd engine in a berlingo. Yesterday morning the engine started rocking whilst ideling and when i tried to pull away at junctions there was a big power loss. I then noticed blue smoke from exhaust. I stopped and thought i would check oil and when i pulled the dipp stick up loads of blue smoke came out from there also. The van is now at the Citroen dealers and they have told me it is a possible bent con rod. He advised me that this may be down to me as this can happen when cars drive through water. (I have never drove through any water as i'm always on motorways)

My van is 16 months old with 54k miles on it with full dealer service.

The garage are taking the head of this morning to investigate the problem and will let me know.

I need to know if there telling me a load of sh*t as if they tell me its down to me to pay for it i am going to fight it.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated bowdown.gif

Blue smoke tends to mean a blown turbo doesn't it?

I'd say that's usually white smoke under acceleration. Blue smoke is usually burnt oil (no pun intended)

Yeah theres plenty warrenty left but garrage were trying to tell me yesterday that if theres no seals or gaskets gone in the engine to explain the problem then it would probably be down to the driving through water thing, and that will not be covered on warrenty. Whats the chances of a seal or gasket going at this age and milage ?

I wouldn't put anything past a HDi engine.. our fleet had 3 crank pulley failures. Two of them at low speed and thankfully the damage wasn't too bad (still around 10 weeks in the garage for each though) but the third happened at about 90mph and it made a right mess of the engine. Needed mending with a new one.

I'm sure driving through water would have other implications and they would be able to find water ingress somewhere. If they throw that one at you, tell them to prove it!

Thanks shark, I'll let you know what happens.

Like the new car btw 169144-ok.gif

Just been on phone to garage. The cylinder head gasket has gone on it and it's covered by the warrenty so i can sleep tonight ZZZ.gif

Great news. If you had to cover a bent con rod, the financial impact could run a small business very close to the ground in lost time and earnings, and then the cost of repairs on top.

Glad it wasn't your coin. 169144-ok.gif

Thanks Rusty. I'v lost £370 allready on work that i'v had to pass on to someone else since yesterday, I'm gutted about that but keeping my chin up. ROLLEY~14.GIF

Is it worth hiring a van for the short term? Might set you back a few quid but at least it keeps you mobile, and stops you passing work to your competitors. cool.gif

All ready looked at it mate. I'm cheaper to get an estate car at about £30 a day including insurance. Dealer reckons i'll have van back by Monday and untill then they have give me a courtesy car so have moved work about so i dont need to be carrying stuff.

Only problem is that when i was driving courtesy car away from garage yesterday some fecker drove into the side of it and wiped out the front quarter panal EEK2.GIF More greef that i dont need.

Its all coming fom that drivers insurance though but its all the inconvenience. Been on phone best part of today to them and insurence companys. Flush.gif

Update from garage this morning. Firstly they have sourced me a courtesy van so i can carry on working grin.gif

Secondly they have ordered a new engine for my van.

Apparently the dealer as been in this situation before and 'just fixed' the engine on a previous customers vehicle with the same problem. Then 6 monthes down the line same thing happened to the customer. Because the dealer claimed from Citroen on the warrenty to fix in the first place he could not claim again and it cost the dealership £3000 to replace the engine.

So he explained to me that he has spoken to Citroen technical and they have advised him to just replace the engine on warrenty as they dont know why this has happened in the first place, and dont want me having problems in the future.

I have been looking on various forums on the net and have found other Citroen owners having problems with HDI engines. Mostly engine pressure problems and dip stick being pushed out and even oil filler cap dissapearing.

Collected my own van up today Rusty. New engine fitted with 12 months gaurentee. New belts also so thats some peace of mind for a couple of years. Thanks for asking 169144-ok.gif

MY Pug 306 has got the 2.0l HDI and it is a very good engine indeed. 169144-ok.gif

Ta Shark, been the worst month of motoring i have ever had in 13 years of driving. Along with smashing the courtesy car i had to replace windscreen in courtesy van yesterday as summit hit it yesterday and cracked it in several places. Cost me £60 excess. frown.gif

Pardon the pun, but cracking news. New engine and guaranteed, and as a bonus, the windscreen you broke wasn't on your van!!! I had a new one put in mine (when it was a fleet van for the firm I worked for) and it makes far more road noise now than before.

All in all, sounds like you didn't do to bad compared to what it could've been.

Funny you should say that Rusty. The Dealer was very particular about where i went to get the new screen fitted. I didn't realise there could be such a difference.

Where did you get the screen fitted just out of interest?

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

Where did you get the screen fitted just out of interest?

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Autoglass