[Audi A3/S3] A3 Cambelt change

lorveney

Hi Guys,

Well my daughter's A3 has made it to 118,000 miles without a cambelt change so far so she's on borrowed time!!!

Bin reading the posts on this topic an seems there's some debate at what point she should have changed it. Its a 1.6i sport, reg Feb 2000, engine AKL, so I'm guessing its 115K (though some would say it should have been before that).

Phoned round the local stealers and one said Audi have quoted 'no fixed interval' so it don't need changing at all, one said 80,000 and would be £500+ (belt only) without knowing what model it was and a third (York) quoted £219.61 incl parts labour and VAT (belt only) which from previous posts seems not too bad.

Question is, what else should she have done at the same time? Do the tensioners always need changing? Is the water pump driven by this belt on this model (one of the stealers said not)?

Also, my daughter said in the last week or so the temperature gauge has started rising to its mid point (90 degrees C?) as the car warms up and then dropping down again to about 60 degrees C as she drives on. Does this suggest a sticking thermostat or water pump problem or what?

She’s going to call in tonight to see an ex-Audi mechanic she knows who’s set up on his own to get a quote/advice from him …. Will be interesting to see what he says.

Thanks for any advice.

there should be 2 belts, tentioners, also worth doing the water pump , parts are around £180 with waterpump and its aprox 4 / 5 hours labour so bear that in mind - oh and it should hav ebeen done no later than 80k miles most people do them at 70ish to be safe, get it done before it stoo late !

Just had a quote for this myself audi coventry quoted £440 for the belt and tensioners (excluding water pump) so £500 for belt seems a little high.

Also booked her in (finally) at the end of month for a major 40K service with brake fluid service which totals to £440 also (£352 for service \ £88 for brake fluid).

I suppose I just want the audi dealer stamp on my service book wink.gif

I expect to pay high (ish) for Audi work, I didn't think a 60K service existed (biggest service Audi do is 40K major).

Either way my car has hit 100K and hasnt been serviced since 60K & the cambelt never been done slap.gif

[ QUOTE ]

chilli im in dundee where do u go for service mate beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, Mcrae & Dick every time. Good guys and use all the right bits. I must say that Camerons in Perth suprised me. Went to ask how to change indicator bulbs, they did it for me, reconnected rear wash wipe hose and replaced the tubes. All for nothing.

Wehey 169144-ok.gif