Love my GTI...

Muppetboy

Well finally I got my GTI this morning and I absolutely LOVE IT! smlove2.gif Read on…

Woke at 5.30 SLEEP5.GIF (couldn’t sleep surprise surprise) and got to the dealers for 9.30 and as I pulled up I could see her all shiny and new on the forecourt smlove2.gif (this was my first time seeing my GTI!). The dealer came out and showed me round the exterior and everything was fine. I checked the paintwork, alloys, number plate and thankfully they listened and didn’t put one of those stickers on the rear window! Went inside signed about a thousand documents, paid the money, took out the SMT (which does include VW assist for years 2 and 3) and finally went for a full inspection with the dealer. We went through everything and it was all to spec, and yes my bottle opener was there. As was the leather bound manual! Oh and it had 8 miles on the clock… He apologised for not being able to fit the Road Angel but no one was willing to do it and take the risk! I find this odd to be honest, if some guy in Halfords can do it why can’t a trained VW technician?!? ROLLEY~14.GIFUHOH7.GIFAnyway…

One more signature and she was finally mine… 169144-ok.gif

During today I’ve clocked up about 90 miles, both town and some motorway miles and this car is absolutely feckin’ super! I’d built my expectations up really high and it’s everything and more! If you’re currently waiting for your GTI trust me it’s worth the wait and you’ll love the car. It truly is brilliant. I’d taken my test drive quite easy (as I don’t much like driving other people’s cars…) and the amount of power (not going higher than 4k rpm) is awesome! Although it would be coming from a 1.6 MkIV…!

It did occur to me that all this discussion about does it do 0-60mph in 7.2 seconds or 7.1 seconds is absolute bollox. All you need to know is that it’s feckin’ quick!

I fitted the McGard’s although being the muppet I am smashfreakB.gif it took me longer figuring out how to get the little black caps off (around 10-15 minutes) the bolts than it did to eventually take them off and replace them with the SL’s! The feckin’ wrench slipped smashfreakB.gif on the second one and I marked one of the alloys, nothing major but I was well p*ssed off! Also this thing linky I couldn’t figure out so just used the one that came with the car… ROLLEY~14.GIF

I love the sunroof, highline looks good (although need to read manual for all details), even the standard radio seems good enough for me. The black headlining is brilliant! Oh and I LOVE THE SEATS! Really comfy and the cloth is to die for! ECLIPSe.gif

There’s only one thing I don’t like I’m afraid and that’s the speedo. frown.gif I have near perfect vision and I just can’t read the bloody thing. The gaps between the 10mph increments are just so tiny! I was cruising along at 70mph, err well actually when I looked closer it was 80mph! Have to say I’m a bit worried about this but hopefully a Road Angel will put that right!

A couple of questions

1- Does anyone carry a triangle, if so where do you store it securely?

2- Where do you keep the bolt for the McGard’s? PM me please if you don’t want to post…

I took some photos and the quality is shocking (from a Nokia 6230i, will try again with my camera) and really doesn’t do the car any justice. I’m posting a couple though because these types of posts really kept me going during my wait. Stevie, enjoy!

Also I’d just like to thank everyone for their support and nursing during my wait, I’ve learned so much. bowdown.gifnotworthy.gif Hopefully I can now start to pass on some of my knowledge and experiences!

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am I not surprised to read of your utter joy and pleasure!?

The speedo is my biggest criticism too but now I use my Road Angel to read my speed. I got mine hardwired by my VW dealer without any problem wahtsoever. The speedo can be 10% inaccurate....Mine is 13%!!

You are so right about the 0-60 bollox! Best to get a torque wrench with readings to cover 120 Nm.

I'm very pleased for you jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cool cloud reflections! What's the plate read: BOLLOX ? grin.gif

I see you are already parking sensibly to protect your alloys! The red line looks great on Steel Grey GTIs 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

err smashfreakB.gif I hadn't even noticed the clouds, trust you! 169144-ok.gif

Plate isn't anything nearly as interesting as that, if only...

bike.thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't she beautiful?!! I love your GTI and I love my GTI !! Such a great car! I haven't seen a Steel Grey with 5 doors before, nor on 17s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely love her mate! And to be honest I've loved all the photos that I've seen posted on here, it just looks brilliant in all colours!

ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

what a day to pick up a car! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This new car smell though made me feel a bit nauseous, now where's my Magic Tree...

[/ QUOTE ]

fekr.gif I'll get my mate to Valet it for you! He does wonders with a can of Silicone... he can make your car look, feel and smell like a 20yr old mini cab in seconds!

[ QUOTE ]

Good man Muppet the time seems to have passed quickly from your 1st post, or did you pull some strings / put your hand you someones bum to make them move faster. beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assure you everything was above board! I actually ordered on 5th Dec, but only discovered TSN end of Jan. What a b*gger! If only...

Pleased for you mate - looks fantastic. Woke up this morning to mine covered in yet another 3 inches of snow.

Haven't been able to get out in it today, busy doing DIY, but tomorrow the roads are mine :-)

Enjoy it mate, already 4 days old here, but I'm grinning all the time.