Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muppetboy

Love my GTI...

162 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Not so mate, a laser gun only needs 0.3 seconds to lock in and that reading is satisfactory to take to court and prove speeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mate has the technicals, it was given to him in writing the third time he was done at >70 in the 40 road-work zone of the M25 last year ... 6 months on the bus followed the last court appearence bike.thumb.gif

The further away the laser gun is the more likely the Road Angel will pick it up (providing it's active towards you) cos the conical beam gets bigger over distance. Unless I've been misinformed.

(I really should be in bed ...)

Think the dynamics are that Plod is firing his Laser cone at your license plate (accoring to RA manual - something to do with aiming for a flat spot on your front so as to ensure a direct reading of speed), and they are doing this to each car in turn. Therefore you could be lucky and pick up a scatter off a car in front which would give a fair warning, otherwise as was said earlier you are playing a game with the clock - i.e. how fast they get a confirmed return vs. how quickly you react.

Have to say, I seem to be driving this car slower than any other I've owned. Reckon it's down to knowing you have the power and speed, takes away the need to prove it! I drove my first car (Fiat Uno) like it was on fire, the GTI I'm taking it nice and easy in (despite what you all might have picked up on with my whitterings!).

Seriously - I'm off for some kip. ZZZ.gif Have fun!

[ QUOTE ]

Have to say, I seem to be driving this car slower than any other I've owned. Reckon it's down to knowing you have the power and speed, takes away the need to prove it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, I'm actually below the speed limit or bang on it most of the time. Although I'm putting that down to the stupidly hard to read speedo! You only seem to have say 40 or 50- what ever happened to 41, 42...49? tut tut znaika.gif

I just rang one of my copper mates to get confirmation about this.

They aim the laser gun at (as fresco said) the number plate, as it's a nice vertical target to get decent rebound off. The laser gun fires two signals, 0.3 seconds apart. The laser gun then works out the speed of the vehicle. A police officer with a laser gun actually needs to "think" a car is speeding and may only use a laser gun to "confirm" his suspicions! They are not allowed to target every car (unless every car appears to be speeding wink.gif)

This 0.3 second "burst" is enough to gain prosecution. The "cone" is also very small for laser, neither of us could remember the exact figures, but you won't be picking up stray laser signals in 99% of situations!

Get yourselves on a driving course and you'll learn to look ahead on roads and see the cheeky buggers before they get you wink.gif

*says the lad who is getting a RA wink.gif

I've always noticed that performance cars are often driven slowly in built-up areas and traffic and I'm sure that it's because it's {a} Appropriate and {b} You value your license cos you know go much faster on the open road so why further increase the risk and {c} You've got nothing to prove.

Congrats on the car MB... glad you are enjoying! They just get better and better over time! We have it 2 weeks now and it as the miles go on the drive gets better grin.gif

Happy Motoring!

Paddy

Red: You're right mate on all counts!

Since my driving course I've learnt to do the limit in the restricted (red circled speeds) and "glf" in all other zones wink.gif

However on dual carriageways and motorways I do tend to do 79mph as that's where the coppers hang out...

[ QUOTE ]

They are not allowed to target every car (unless every car appears to be speeding wink.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers steeve, thats good to know if you get caught doing 35 in a 30.

Not sure how a policeman could say he could differenciate between these speeds with the naked eye! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

glf?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what police officers call the derestricted speed limit signs (white with black line), "GO LIKE FECK" ECLIPSe.gif

pissed off

Didn't get the leather manual as you have with the red stripe going down the middle.

I thought the one that came was the leather one. Stupid me.

Just got a matt black binder with GOLF in the bottom right.

Annoyed, as the dealer told me this was the leather manual.

Probably don't have a leg to stand on to get one now, seeing as I've signed for it and all.....

:-((

Oh bollox what a morning...

First off some guy came within an inch of going into the back of me as I was going into a roundabout! Why do people insist on being right up your backside???! Phew overall it was a close shave!

The second incident happened on the M40, I was overtaking doing about 75 when just a few yards in front of me between the two broken white lines was what I believe was a headlamp from a van or something (size of a brick, glass and chrome)... I was almost into the farside lane but there wasn't enough time to move and the left front wheel went straight over it. Never seen anything like it in my rear view mirror, it broke into a million pieces high into the air and sprayed the whole road! I thought feck what if the tyre blows? I immediately slowed down and came off at the next junction, checked the tyre and the paint work on the passenger side but couldn't see any damage.

Brand new car and almost damaged because some t0sser runs around in sh*tty sh*tty bang bang that he doesn't maintain and ends up with pieces dropping off it...

mad.gif

I felt sick to my stomach and still do crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Annoyed, as the dealer told me this was the leather manual.

Probably don't have a leg to stand on to get one now, seeing as I've signed for it and all.....

:-((

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go back and tell him you want the real thing! Let me know if you need a decent photo of the leather one to show him what you want!

what fekr.gif's!

I only got the Golf one.

Who cares, it's in my safe and hasn't even seen daylight for 3 months.

It's part of the deal, why shouldn't you get it?? slap.gif

Just like the bottle opener coffee.gif

What engine oil are you guys using? (The more specific the better!)

bike.thumb.gifbeerchug.gifbike.thumb.gif

good point - who gives a toss :-)

guess i feel i need to find something wrong :-) if its only the leather manual missing that is wrong then i'll be v happy :-)

noticed a couple of things today... the chrome handle on the glovebox is a bit flimsy and as people have already posted there are exposed wires behind the accelerator pedal on mine too!

But neither take anything away from the experience obviously! bike.thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What engine oil are you guys using? (The more specific the better!)

bike.thumb.gifbeerchug.gifbike.thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Castrol SLX Longlife II is the one MB

Mine doesn't seem to have used any yet(1400 Km)

Thanks Crowded, I'm going to spend some time cleaning her tomorrow and just want to check the oil. Already done nearly 400 miles! Feckin' loving it!

jump.gifjump.gifjump.gif

After a year ive only needed to top up the oil once, I used the oil that came with the car. Not sure what it is now as im in bed smile.gif

Muppet, watch out for the swirl marks when cleaning blush.gif

In fact - don't watch out for them, cause then you will see them and be depressed frown.gif

I have realised already that swirls seem to be a fact of VW pearl effect paintwork... slightest contact between any foreign object (Even your finger rubbing the surface) appears to leave a trail. Guess it will just have to get a good waxing every so often to keep up the new car lustre smirk.gif

Paddy