Muppetboy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Any tips on avoiding swirls? crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Clean your sponge, lots and lots and lots!

Also, make sure that you high pressure wash the car down very well before starting to sponge the car.

But you'll still probably get some swirls frown.gif However, a bit of wax will buff them out now worries 169144-ok.gif

I posted a link to a site which showed how to prevent/minimise swirls. If you didnt see it or would like the link again, PM me or reply here.

Use a wool mit, not a sponge, and wash the mit in a clean bucket of water after every panel. Start with the cleanest panel and work your way to the dirtiest as this will keep the mit as clean as possible for longer.

[ QUOTE ]

Any tips on avoiding swirls? crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, buy silver! Only kidding. Seriously though, swirling was one of the reasons I went for silver. My current car is a black Civic Type-R and it's a fecking nightmare for swirling.

Muppetboy, I believe that Steel Grey is one of the best colours for not showing nasty marks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than silver for that. A guy at work has a Steel Grey 2.0 TDI and the paintwork looks top notch after nearly a year. He doesn't even look after the paintwork particularly well, in that he's certainly never polished it and he puts it through car washes.

Some Halfords (probably most) have a dedicated Meguiar's display but I believe it's quite recent and may not be on their web site yet (if it ever will be). The thing about a real Lambswool Washmitt is that it doesn't retain any grit so easily and potentially damage your paintwork. It's difficult to describe its advantage but it's far kinder to your car and helps spread the shampoo.

Meguiar's home page

took mt RS to the dealer (he's selling it for me, see what i can get for it) and the schmuck fekr.gif who was given the job of washing it should be shot. I took the RS back for the weekend and felt like crying when i saw what he'd done to the paint i had so lovingly cared for for two years! bastard!

i called the dealer and have instructed him not to allow the monkey or any of the other fecking usual suspects near my car with a sponge, much less some polish, on pain of death. I've also told him that when the car arrives i don't want it valeted pre-delivery.

sportifs2.gif

1.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What engine oil are you guys using? (The more specific the better!)

bike.thumb.gifbeerchug.gifbike.thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Castrol SLX Longlife II is the one MB

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried to get this but was told it's been discountinued and replaced by "Castrol Edge" 5W-30. Does this one sound right?

cheers beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Muppetboy you silly sausage, dsg rocks. You really should have spect it smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I discovered TSN AFTER placing my order smashfreakB.gif and just assumed DSG was an automatic smashfreakB.gif with flappy paddles. Had I known about TSN smashfreakB.gif at the time I'm sure I would have been convinced to at least test drive DSG but would probably still have gone manual.

123576-assfeck.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What engine oil are you guys using? (The more specific the better!)

bike.thumb.gifbeerchug.gifbike.thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Castrol SLX Longlife II is the one MB

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried to get this but was told it's been discountinued and replaced by "Castrol Edge" 5W-30. Does this one sound right?

cheers beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealers now sell 'Castrol SLX Longlife III. 5W-30. ( VW 504.00 ) which replaced Longlife II.

Looks like the same spec as Castrol Edge.

Mine came filled with Castrol SLX Longlife III.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Muppetboy you silly sausage, dsg rocks. You really should have spect it smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I discovered TSN AFTER placing my order smashfreakB.gif and just assumed DSG was an automatic smashfreakB.gif with flappy paddles. Had I known about TSN smashfreakB.gif at the time I'm sure I would have been convinced to at least test drive DSG but would probably still have gone manual.

123576-assfeck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

insert a sheep infront of figure above