Chipping a 2.5 tdi

GCab

Things like Revo don't seem to be available yet (?) but I've found a place in Cheshire that will do an Abt ECU remap, and somewhere in Surrey/Sussex that is a/the MTM agent for the UK.

Abt claim something like 190 bhp, while the MTM claim was 220 I think; can't remember torque figures.

Does anyone have experience of these in this engine ? Also, will it make it smokier/noisier ? (my car is a cabriolet, so the diesel engine is already a leap of faith and is very noisy for an open-top, at low speeds or in narrow lanes; was expecting this but don't want it any worse)

Many thanks for help

Thought you were heading towards a Merc?

The differences predominantly are in throttle response and overall driveability. Lets be honest, A4 2.5TDI is never going to be a true sports car but it has certainly made the driving experience more enjoyable. The mid range grunt is very good - 30 - 70 acceleration in about 6.8 secs. About .5 sec quicker than when standard. This is adequate for me. Economy is unchanged - i get about 34mpg from mine which i acknowledge is not great for a diesel but its no worse than before.

I'm certainly contemplating a Merc, but I'm a complete idiot usually when choosing cars and swing one way, then the other, depending on the colour of my undies smile.gif

Am currently thinking of waiting 'til next year when I've paid off more of the finance on the Audi, so considering whether or not I want to chip it.

I haven't got any direct experience with MTM or ABT, but have heard a 2.5 TDI running with an ABT chip and it sounded no different to me. ABT are what all of the Audi/VW dealers use here in Holland as well as Germany and Belgium, and 100% covered under warranty, which means they are very reliable.

Thanks, this is very useful.

Abt are covered by Audi warranty for bodywork here in the UK, but not for engine rechipping. If they are elsewhere in Europe this is encouraging because (a) it may happen here, and (b) they're reliable, as you say.

In fact the agents I spoke to said they'd chipped the head of Audi UK's RS6 for him - apparently he said "nobody is allowed to rechip their Audis - except me" ...

I have a 180bhp 2.5 with ABT chip to 204bhp and 420Nm torque bloody great difference especially at higher speeds in higher gears - remember this is more torque than a new S4 - so long as I stay out of my S4 MTM everything is wow but after a drive in her EEK2.GIF everything feels [censored] anyway. BTW Audi Warranty is fully in place after ABT chip - mines has been in since new and I've had a new clutch and flywheel since at no cost to me!!!