"VW Approved" mods...

RedRobin

I'm fortunate in that I'm on very good terms with my VW dealer and in most of their departments (Financial Services, Servicing, Parts, Workshop). Consequently I'm usually able to discuss stuff at some length. This afternoon I phoned about my Servicing/Maintenance Contract but also discussed modding regards VW Warranty.

The fundamental judgement regarding your VW Warranty is whether any mods you fit are "VW Approved". Contrary to what I thought, mods don't have to be manufactured by VW to be approved - I'm sure guys like Snoopy already knew this. For example, I understand that Milltek's products are approved and, subject to checking, Carbonio - I was impressed that my dealer (not Sales dept) actually knew who Carbonio are.

The trick is to get your dealer to fit the mods whenever possible. They only agree to fit if they approve of the product as suitable. Yes, it's more expensive but possibly very much worth it. For example, last week someone with a Mk4 GTI still under its warranty period had, for some unknown reason but probably cost, replaced his cam-belt but supplied and fitted elsewhere....It failed and caused expensive damage which, if it had been fitted by the dealer, would have qualified for a warranty no-cost repair, But!!

So, I may consider a Carbonio Air Intake to compliment my Hi-flow Milltek and, if so, I'll get it delivered to my VW dealer for them to fit and I won't have to worry in the very unlikely event that it goes pear-shaped.

Not everyone here is on that slippery slope of modding but I would recommend that you've got nothing to lose (except only slightly more money) by discussing with your dealer what you are thinking of doing while still under warranty. Obviously tuning is another (huge) subject and much more complicated.

....No news on any re-maps being approved and I don't expect to hear any sooner than other people so doubtless any such subject will get reported as soon as it's heard. Re-mapping is clearly the most popular mod although I personally think that other mods are more important first.

Whilst not wishing to contradict you here Robin, I can't stress enough the need to have this put in writing before you enter into any such relationship with your dealer.

I'm not disputing what you're saying but experience has shown us examples of dealers saying anything to get a sale, even with regards to performance mods and warranty.

Again, I'm not pointing the finger at your dealer, but I wasn't aware of any such mods being "approved" by VAG. You need to be aware of the local vs central thing going on here. The dealer might "agree" to such things but at the end of the day the dealer must submit and justify warranty claims to VAG UK. As far as I know they do not approve of mods and can and do refuse warranty claims due to this. I'm not suggesting your dealer would be doing this, but its not unheard of for a dealer to make the warranty claim against another similar car and not yours blush.gif

Don't take pure doom out of this, just get everything in writing. And if they even squeel a little bit when you ask for it in writing, you know what they're doing wink.gif

169144-ok.gif

Very good advice, Mollox - Many Thanks 169144-ok.gif.

I can only say that when my exhaust emitted an extremely loud POP !!!! and the DSG froze temporarily earlier this year and the fault code actioned a replacement Mechatronics Module (a DSG component), VW approved the work under warranty although I had Millteks (originally fitted by the VW dealer).

If I do go for a Carbonio (they are still testing it) I'll ask for things in writing as you advise 169144-ok.gif.

I had much the same with my RS6..

I was told that Abt were 'official'Audi tuners.. almost right.. but not quite.. my warranty was with Abt Germany who would have paid for any work relating to the chip.

My local audi dealer did fit it and was more than happy with the warranty, but luckily, i never had to use it.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure guys like Snoopy already knew this.

For example, last week someone with a Mk4 GTI still under its warranty period had, for some unknown reason but probably cost, replaced his cam-belt but supplied and fitted elsewhere....It failed and caused expensive damage which, if it had been fitted by the dealer, would have qualified for a warranty no-cost repair, But!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Still would IF the belt was fitted correct, by a VAT registered garage using Parts upto the original VW specs and it was shown it was not the belt that was the cause,

If its shown to be the belt been faulty or the fitting of said belt, if its the belt a claim agaist the manufactuer is what would happen, or if its a fitter then its the garage that fitted it claim.

Oh and if this happened at a VW garage as they fitted it don't count your chickens either, I know someone at court right now who's taking a local VW garage to court because of them incorrect fittings caused huge engine problems and the garage is saying its not there fault.

Dealers are no different to any other garage now due to non block lifting.

To clarify the info I've reported: My VW dealer, rather than VW UK, were crystal clear that they considered a Milltek exhaust to be "approved" for fitting without effecting warranty. They stated that it was extremely unlikely for a Milltek to be a direct cause of a failure. In fact, my dealer fitted the Milltek and Abt rear valance which I supplied them and have since carried out a DSG Mechatronic Module replacement free of charge under warranty a month ago.

Earlier conversations I have had with VW UK about warranty subjects confirm that they too would not expect Millteks to be a warranty issue and the fundamental principle was direct cause. Consequently they were quite clear that they were always very suspicious of re-maps or ECU mods and advised strongly against them. Hence my lone voice in the TSN community about being very hesitant about re-mapping the Mk5 GTI (all of them being still under warranty) and especially regarding DSG.

It would be great if VW UK or their dealers could/would support and hence approve a tuner, but until such time, I'm playing it very safe. I'm interested in fitting a Carbonio Air Intake and so will be investigating this further.