Cars you have raced with your GTI

Leandros

Pre-Order or wait?  

1. 1. Pre-Order or wait?

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

I've been in a couple of cars recently that could definitely beat the GTis..... wink.gifsekret.gif

Robin and I are going to have a drag type race when we are both at a meet. Aren't we Robin! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you'd stand a chance coffee.gif

RP.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, guys - I'm not a boy-racer. My "fighting talk" comment was said in fun - That's why I used the "grin.gif" icon.

So, I have never said my GTI is faster and consequently I don't need to take part in any event to prove anything. It would be fun to watch though and others might like to have a go....I can't see the poll without voting.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

I've been in a couple of cars recently that could definitely beat the GTis..... wink.gifsekret.gif

Robin and I are going to have a drag type race when we are both at a meet. Aren't we Robin! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you'd stand a chance coffee.gif

RP.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a French stick??!! EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, guys - I'm not a boy-racer. My "fighting talk" comment was said in fun - That's why I used the "grin.gif" icon.

So, I have never said my GTI is faster and consequently I don't need to take part in any event to prove anything. It would be fun to watch though and others might like to have a go....I can't see the poll without voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasnt aimed at you Robin 169144-ok.gif, and the vote is at: YES:0 NO:6 jump.gif

The extra power and 4WD means that even a standard S3 will be quicker than a GTI.

The S3 weighs 1320 Kg and the GTI weighs 1336 Kg whereas the S3 is up on power by 10 - 25 Hp, depending on age.

I'm not saying that in a straight line the S3 will destroy a GTI, but through roundabouts & corners, 4WD will show up FWD.

A chipped S3 is 65-70 hp up on a GTI, so it's fair to say that the GTI will be destroyed. Heck, even an R32 won't keep up with an S3. beerchug.gif

I don't think it's the fastest car out there, that would be daft :P

If you want fast then you go and get a caterham for half the price. What the GTI does well is bring together everything; space, comfort, speed, looks (debatable) etc etc...

The thing that most people don't realise is that most performance cars are going to be fairly equal down the twisties. Sure a GTI won't touch an M3 on a track, but get down a country lane where you can't really push it and the M3 will get away (obviously) but the GTI won't be embarrassed.

As I always say in situations like this, it's the driver that counts...Speaking of which, April 9th, Santa Pod, GTI vs anything that will race me*

*please be gentle wink.gif

Well for what its worth, Evo, going by their own track tested figures offer the following:

S3 225bhp, 1375kg, 0-60 6.1, 0-100 17.5

GtiMk5 197bhp, 1328kg, 0-60 6.7, 0-100 17.9

The difference is a nats chuff at best. Further, a lap of West circuit will necessitate 30-odd gearchanges, all of which will be at 0.2 sec in the DSG Gti. Further, the A3's are known to lack steering feel which will hamper confidence and the ability to extract the full lot.

Sorry, but you put the stig in both cars, the Gti would be quicker.

Incidentally, a Gti was only 1.4 sec slower than the R32, with its 4wd, V6 and extra 1.2 litres.

It just goes to show that statistics only tell part of the story.

[ QUOTE ]

As I my waiting for my GTI to arrive it would be great to know which cars i will be able to beat. So please post the cars you have raced so far and won smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote say's it all really. As per the thread in the General Car's section. It would indeed appear that the Golf GTi is going to take over from the Chavtastic Chavic Type R as the Boy Racer mobile of choice.

Meanwhile, everyone else grew up once their acne subsided.

[ QUOTE ]

As I my waiting for my GTI to arrive it would be great to know which cars i will be able to beat. So please post the cars you have raced so far and won smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I overtook a truck today on the M25 with my GTI, it was like he was stopped ... !

Tried racing a Boeing 777 along the perimeter road at Heathrow later on, I would have had the bu&&er except he took off - like cheating or what?! fekr.gif

jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That quote say's it all really. As per the thread in the General Car's section. It would indeed appear that the Golf GTi is going to take over from the Chavtastic Chavic Type R as the Boy Racer mobile of choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little generalisation there MrMe....certainly as history has shown, that when the 2nd hand GTi market grows and they get cheaper it will open up to younger guys that will then be able to afford them and paint them up and put all manner of dodgy accessories onto them....Chavcity!

Personally speaking, only last week did I just pip Spock being beamed between JHB and Cape Town - had my GTi been anything but black he would have had me!!! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully the plentiful supply of cheap 3 series BMW's has saturated the market for the Chav car of choice.

[ QUOTE ]

Meant to chat to you about that aerial Red... sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....That aerial is so aerodynamic it's worth at least 2 seconds improvement on my 0-60 time grin.gif

It's a Richbrook Anti-Theft Aerial and the reason I got it was that by being shorter it doesn't foul the up&over door to my tiny garage.....And it matches my wheels, dahling.

[ QUOTE ]

Well for what its worth, Evo, going by their own track tested figures offer the following:

S3 225bhp, 1375kg, 0-60 6.1, 0-100 17.5

GtiMk5 197bhp, 1328kg, 0-60 6.7, 0-100 17.9

The difference is a nats chuff at best. Further, a lap of West circuit will necessitate 30-odd gearchanges, all of which will be at 0.2 sec in the DSG Gti. Further, the A3's are known to lack steering feel which will hamper confidence and the ability to extract the full lot.

Sorry, but you put the stig in both cars, the Gti would be quicker.

Incidentally, a Gti was only 1.4 sec slower than the R32, with its 4wd, V6 and extra 1.2 litres.

It just goes to show that statistics only tell part of the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but... well but... yu know... them Audi's are just sooo much better than the Golf, cos they make em from comletely different colour metal n that, ryte grin.gif An anyway, wot do them blokes at EVO know tongue.gifwink.gif