Rejecting a Car

Milo

If someone was to successfully reject a new car and order a replacement, where would they stand in the meantime while waiting for delivery?

Are they entitled to their p/ex back, would they be entitled to a loan car for the interim period or is it a case of 'tough - organise your own transport until the new one comes'.

Also, how exactly do you go about rejecting it? Can it be done as an arrangement bewteen you and the dealer or is it advisable to seek legal advice?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that aaronuk had Bose missed off his A3 when he ordered it and he rejected it at collection

[ QUOTE ]

My 2.0 TDI DSG arrived without the Bose I had specified, dealer offered straight away to re-order the car and gave me the one without Bose to drive until the correct car arrived. 3 1/2 months (and 9500 miles) later I got my car as ordered. Can't fault the way they dealt with the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure of your situation now that you have had it for a week.

Had to reject a VW Golf a few years back due to a small area of damage on the paintwork which they repaired badly on more than one occasion, so much so that one half of the car ended up a different shade to the other! Citizen's Advice were pretty helpful. You do have to allow the dealer a "reasonable" amount of time to try and rectify the problem before you can reject it though. My advice would be to keep a detailed record of everthing that happens, ie dates, times, names of people you speak to etc as you will have to put this in writing to officially reject the car if it comes to that stage. We were pretty lucky in that the dealer was terrified we were going to go to the papers and slate them and in the end we got a brand new car (with an extra option we didn't have before) and 3 years free servicing.

IIRC we had a hire car from their fleet for the length of time it took to get the new one.

Milo, I wish you the best ck with this mate. 169144-ok.gif

Look what happened with my M3 when I tried rejecting it, they quite rightfully tried to rectify the problems and made them even worse.

Took me a 9 month battle, BMW having the car longer than I had it and at the end of the day, they wouldnt budge on rejection.

A good friend of mine rejected a new Alfa Spider a few years back, but only after the dealer & indeed Alfa UK had had several goes at rectifying the issues, which in the end they were unable to do. So the advice about you having to give them a fair period to rectify the problem(s)- to your satisfaction, is correct. Also did you buy the car all or part on finance? The Alfa was on a PCP + a largish deposit, so he actaully rejected the car back to the finance company and it was they (Fiat Auto / GE Capital) who refunded his deposit and payments made thus far. He was given a free loan car from the dealer on each occasion, but at the end the Alfa was picked up on truck and taken away. Interestingly enough the same guy then bought one of the first TT Roadsters, which was almost immediately subjected to the recall to have ESP and the rear spoiler fitted. Audi UK took care of the whole thing and he was provided with a new (and I kid you not!) S8 for the 6 weeks it took to send his TTR back to the factory for the recall. We had fun with that S8!

Agree with all the above, if they can rectify the mistake I think you'll struggle to reject the car.

From the sound of it, rear seats is easy. Front seat will just be a replacement seat presumably, and that just leaves the switch and warning light. Not ideal that they have to pull the dash apart I do agree, but if the radio went wrong you'd expect them to fix it (which would require some dismantling), not give you a new car surely?

I think you do need to give them the chance to fix it. My QS had that oil sensor light come on the minute I drove it away!! I was furious. They had to replace the sensor, then dismantle the dashboard to put a new dash inset piece in as well. In my first week I had the car for only three days and she was dismantled! ROLLEY~14.GIF At least when they did that they sorted the mad mouse rattle in the climate control.....

This is a true cock up by Audi, but I'd push for some form of sweetener rather than rejection. grin.gif

Don't hurt me Milo, but I think Audi will have a case for "this man is mad, he is rejecting an £Xk car over a £70 option. Furthermore, we have offered him free mats (!) and a free service (worth a total of £500 or whatever) and he is still not happy."

I don't know whether you absolutely need the ISOFIX solution, or anything about child seats (thank god) but perhaps there is another retro-fit solution that will be as safe and almost as integrated as the OEM one? I don't know really, but be weary of them trying to make you sound like a loon over a "£70 mistake".

We all know you're not a loon though 169144-ok.gif

( UHOH7.GIF )

Dunno, at the end of the day a major benefit of ordering a brand new car is getting your exact spec. It's not unreasonable to expect to get exactly that.

But as above, if the dealer can add it with no downside then thats got to be the way to go.

Ari, would you be happy with someone pulling your new boat to bits to fit a £70 gismo that should have been on in the first place? crazy.gif

Or maybe your first cab; I know how much you wanted that car. What if they said I'm afraid the interior has to come out to fit a 50p switch to operate the roof?

I've got kids. I want ISOFIX etc.

I don't expect a brand new car to be pulled to bits and the seats and part of the dash stripped out to get what I ordered. It's not the cost of the option that's the problem. It's what they need to do to rectify their fault.

And it's not like a radio replacement. Having removed a fair part of the dash, they then have to cut into the wiring looms as the wiring isn't there.

It may seem pedantic but hey-ho, each to their own 169144-ok.gif

Nope, I'd be just as pedantic, mortified in fact and I can totally understand. I was just trying to highlight a possible line that Audi could take.

Having said that, here's the other side...

When I got my new Golf back in '99 I decided to sort the hifi out and spent a fortune on all sorts. The flipside was that, in order to fit the CD changer, head unit, 10 speakers, 2 amps, crossovers, wiring & capacitors etc I would have to have half the car dismantled to do so. I also had an alarm fitted at the time...

So, I weighed it up and thought 'feck it' and within 5 days of taking delivery of my first-ever new car was stripped to buggery: boot, parcel shelf, rear seats, both front door cards, rear 3 quarter panel, various carpets, glove box came out, steering column, various other dash and interior panels, battery cradle etc blush.gif

Whilst most of that car broke down/self-destructed, I could never pinpoint anything to that installation.

The S3 has had all of the same work done to it, bar the alarm fitting and so therefore has also been stripped and rebuilt. After 5 years, its still 95% screwed together as new and certainly I can't blame the stereo installation for anything.

I know what you want and why you want it, just showing you the other side of the story smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ari, would you be happy with someone pulling your new boat to bits to fit a £70 gismo that should have been on in the first place? crazy.gif

Or maybe your first cab; I know how much you wanted that car. What if they said I'm afraid the interior has to come out to fit a 50p switch to operate the roof?

[/ QUOTE ]

It happened, do you not remember the hassle I had with the roof on my first Cab? And as it happened I did finally reject the car, but only after they had had three seperate attempts to cure the fault and failed each time.

Fact is, things do go wrong with cars and they have to be dismantled sometimes (to a degree, not to their component parts!), you couldn't insist they give you a new car every time something went wrong that required dismantling. Look at Lotties TT, that had to have work done the day she picked it up, but all fine now.

Obviously if they did this work and it came back damaged or faulty or rattling that'd be a different matter and one to deal with at the time.

But I'm certainly not suggesting you're pedantic, you wanted ISOFIX and you were told it'd have it so it should, no question.

This is a big deal, it is a cock up and they should have to put it right, absolutely no question. It's an expensive car and it should be perfect.

But personally I think you'll struggle to reject the car if they can put the error right.

Milo, a dash board strip-down is nothing on audis, I have ordered my new 4.2TDI A8 for september, they are hard-wiring the RA2 in and fitting my LT400 (which means the hole front of the car has to come out to fit it and switching is needed in the main dash) it will be done without a squeek and it will look the dogs, Don't worry!

Go for a sweetener. coffee.gif