Found this on a car review site's owner's forum:

"Anyone else disillusioned by

Tepid engine

Sluggish box in auto mode

Completely and utterly useless rain-sensitive wipers

26mpg at best

Badly rusting wheel hubs

No remote tailgate release

Flaky air-con (and no cool air to face/warm to feet)

Appalling attention from amateur main dealer

Idiotic lack of folding rear seat squab

Electric fold-out mirrors that don't (and no fix yet)

I could go on. Enticed by such ecstatic reviews, I only briefly tested it and wish I hadn't. Most expensive car I've ever had (over £25K) and a real let-down. Wish I'd waited for the Alfa 159 (but I do really need a hatch!). Dealers and condition of car on delivery could not have been any worse.

My first VW in 27 years' motoring and most certainly my last."

Discuss....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has some good points, however...

Tepid engine; first I've heard about that, most reviews and drivers love the engine, each to their own...

Sluggish box; I assume he means the car changes up early. Well, use the fecking sport mode then! That's what it's for. If he means the change speed, well, an F1 car changes slower (apart from the new Renaults which are double clutch)...

The rain-sensitive wipers tend to be fairly useless, however I've yet to drive a car in which they work well.

26mpg at best...well if you thrash a car everywhere what do you expect?

Rusting wheel hubs; costing cutting by VW and not really acceptable tbh

Remote tailgate; driven loads of cars with this feature at it's next to useless imho. Most only pop the boot up by an inch or so, so you've still got to lift it up...

Flaky aircon; never had a problem with my MKIV and I know people who've taken a MKV to South of France, in summer and it was fine.

Main dealer; well, unfortunate, but you can't blame the car for this! Find another dealer...

Rear seat; I thought they were designed so that they didn't need to fold?

Mirrors; He can have this, as everyone argues about this wink.gif

I personally think the poor dealer tainted his opinion of the car, which is unfortunate but...

Mate, what can you say to this ?

As you concede, maybe a lengthier test would`ve deterred you from buying the car, but I don`t think anyone here will have a go at you for not enjoying the car, as, like anything else, it`s each-to-his-own.

A similar(ish) thing happened to me a while ago, when I bought a BMW Z3. I loved the car, but I underestimated the amount of times we actually needed more seats, as I have a family, and, consequently, didn`t get out "just me and the missus" as much as I thought. As such, the only time I was able to drive it was when I was going to work, and back, alone. Needless to say, I didn`t keep it long.

Anyway mate, sorry you don`t like it, and better luck with your next one. frown.gif

I've heard very few negative comments on here about the GTI, but I am surprised at some of these. My car hasn't arrived yet.

Tepid engine - I expect quick, but not fireworks. I'm coming from an Elise.

Sluggish box in auto mode - n/a

Completely and utterly useless rain-sensitive wipers - I can work the wipers myself

26mpg at best - definitely hoping for better, although my 2.0 Alfa only returned about that.

Badly rusting wheel hubs - what a joke !

No remote tailgate release - you've got to be kidding me, surely not on a 20-25k car, especially as they all seem to attract dirt to the tailgate.

Flaky air-con (and no cool air to face/warm to feet) - Didn't know you could get warm and cool at same time on any car

Appalling attention from amateur main dealer - concerned about dealer network. They sound sh!te, but I know they'll be better than Alfa or Lotus.

Idiotic lack of folding rear seat squab - what?

Electric fold-out mirrors that don't (and no fix yet) - I've ordered these, but from everyone's opinions, wish I hadn't.

Something else I noticed after I'd ordered was that some of the leather is leatherette. WTF ! If I wanted plastic seats I've have bought an Allegro.

I'll post my real world views after mine actually arrives !

[ QUOTE ]

ISomething else I noticed after I'd ordered was that some of the leather is leatherette. WTF ! If I wanted plastic seats I've have bought an Allegro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, only RR, Bentleys, Maybachs etc come with all leather, the vast majority of other cars don't! Certainly not in the Golf price range wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Encee> the car doesn't belong to haramkor wink.gif

p.s. haramkor> do you have a linky link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the linky link thing...Have to confess i don't know how! This forum is the first i've ever used and i hardly use e-mail so my techie knowledge is cack to say the least. So how is it is done? blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

hehe, no worries mate, here is stevie's class on linking 101

Type the following, but replace { with [

{url=www.theurlyouwant.com}text here{/url}

If you quote my message you should see the awesome link below whilst you're typing your reply

<a href="www.tyresmoke.net" target="_blank">Best forum evAr</a>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok mate - here goes.

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard very few negative comments on here about the GTI, but I am surprised at some of these. My car hasn't arrived yet.

Tepid engine - I expect quick, but not fireworks. I'm coming from an Elise.

Sluggish box in auto mode - n/a

Completely and utterly useless rain-sensitive wipers - I can work the wipers myself

26mpg at best - definitely hoping for better, although my 2.0 Alfa only returned about that.

Badly rusting wheel hubs - what a joke !

No remote tailgate release - you've got to be kidding me, surely not on a 20-25k car, especially as they all seem to attract dirt to the tailgate.

Flaky air-con (and no cool air to face/warm to feet) - Didn't know you could get warm and cool at same time on any car

Appalling attention from amateur main dealer - concerned about dealer network. They sound sh!te, but I know they'll be better than Alfa or Lotus.

Idiotic lack of folding rear seat squab - what?

Electric fold-out mirrors that don't (and no fix yet) - I've ordered these, but from everyone's opinions, wish I hadn't.

Something else I noticed after I'd ordered was that some of the leather is leatherette. WTF ! If I wanted plastic seats I've have bought an Allegro.

I'll post my real world views after mine actually arrives !

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, if I were you mate, I`d just stick to looking forward to the car you`ve ordered. I presume you were happy enough when you test-drove it, so don`t let other people`s negative views (valid, or not) muddy the waters for you.

Just enjoy the anticipation mate, as it`s a damn fine car you`ve ordered ! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

hehe, I'll fix it for you mate :P

link

You should have typed (replacing { with [} this;

{url=http://community.channel4.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/1766037851/m/3290073624/r/8640034624#8640034624}link{/url}

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers mate 169144-ok.gifI had another (cack handed) go. think i know what to do now. YOu're obviously a patient man beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

cheers mate 169144-ok.gifI had another (cack handed) go. think i know what to do now. YOu're obviously a patient man beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I realise that not everyone is a geek like me mate! I'm certainly no expert nor am I a great teacher, but I do have patience! I've had to do tech support too many times to get angry with people over IT issues wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I just read the posts and the bloke is a pratt! He says "I've never liked VAG products" and then he goes and buys a GTI!

As for it being "slow", well it's one of the quickest hot hatches around...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Although some of his points are valid (wing mirrors, poor dealers, boot should have full remote opening) he's obviously bought the car for the wrong reasons based on glowing press reviews and a false perception of the GTi package. As Stevie D says - why go for a GTI when you hate VAG cars. Didn't he notice it had the standard issue VAG interior? Also, buying a 200bhp hothatch then moaning about the fuel consumption is liking buying an ice lolly then complaining it's cold! i think deep down he knew a GTi wasn't for him but bought it anyway hoping he could make himself like it as much as other people did. that didn't happen and now all he can see is the negatives. All in all sounds like a case of too much Autoexpress and not enough TSN when doing his research!

Oh, and knowing he's stuck with it for 3yrs no matter what means hes not being objective either, just bitter. Happened to me and a colleague with our last cars - both got bored a year in to the lease, tried to get out and got told we couldn't. After that all we could do was moan about every little thing like a couple of spoilt kids and pray for them to get nicked!When they went back recently (and we got our objectivity back)we both got misty eyed remembering the good times!

Ditto to Stevie... not really am I one for posting an opinion about someone into a public forum, but this guy seems like a plonker and deserves a good sportifs2.gif

You only have to see some of his quotes...

"I am not a VW man, and should have remembered that"

"I have never liked VAG product"

"I think they are stodgy, naff to drive, gloomy as hell inside and overpriced"

Finally - he asks himself in his own post... drum roll...

"Why did I end up with one?"

Cause you are a plonker and a pratt!!! Do your research next time and pick the right car. How on earth he wanted an Alfa over the GTI...resale value I guess smashfreakB.gif

Jayzus.. people like him irk me!

Paddy 169144-ok.gif

"Wish I'd waited for the Alfa 159".

This comment suggests that this individual doesn't value quality / reliability anyway. I've owned many cars in my 17 years of motoring and certainly wouldn't consider an Alfa based upon press and friend's experiences. As for a new model Alfa as well...!? confused.gif "Nowt stranger than folk" as they say tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Completely and utterly useless rain-sensitive wipers

[/ QUOTE ]

They do seem to have a mind of their own but I'm sure I'll get used to them (although they failed to go off today when an emu sprayed my windscreen with diarrhea!)

[ QUOTE ]

26mpg at best

[/ QUOTE ]I got 31.6mpg from my last tankful with half motorway half town roughly... I can see that in town 26mpg is what you'd get on a manual but buy a feckin diesel if you want 50mpg! (Don't get me wrong I talk about mpg lots too but would never knock my GTI for not being efficient!)

Doesn't this muppet say anything postive? What about the exhaust growl? Feck me even I've started turning off the radio (and I thought RR was bonkers for suggesting that before I got her) and opening the window in the middle of winter just to hear all the lovely sounds! smlove2.gif