Golf GTI Sold Out: Australia

JonoNZ

Yes - As of 2 days ago I've been waiting 7 months for my car.

As far as my dealer knows it hasn't even been built yet.

So at least another 2 months to go!!

If you order now they're saying you'll get it some time next year.

I think VWAus had allowed for sales of 15 a month but have 100 people/month still ordering.

That seems like a very low allocation for a country and market the size of Australia. As at November 2005, VW New Zealand had apparently sold and delivered over 200 GTI's, and the car was only released late April/May 05.

Although there is a wait in NZ, some configurations can be delivered immediately I understand. Having the Mk5 R32 available here since December 05 has taken some of the pressure off GTI demand.

As i said in another post, i ordered mine in sydney 5th september 2005, i have spoken with VW head office and am told it's being built march (now) for a late may delivery. So that's ummm... a good 9 months. As long as they stick to that i'll be happy as i was originally told early april at time of ordering.

As I've said before on a couple of other threads, I ordered mine at the beginning of June. It is currently sailing across the ocean on the Maersk Tide which is due in Sydney on 27 March. Hopefully it will be delivered in early April making it a 10 month wait.

Jono , You make a couple of good points.

The R32 won't find its way here until August so that means all the pressure is on the GTI.

I purchased my car from a friend - who happens to be the sales manager at a regional VW/Audi etc dealership. I got in early and have had the car since July. He told me that VW had imports of no more than 600 units for the first 12 months - May 2005 to May 2006. I think that was about 11 cars per dealership on average around Australia.

By the sounds of the media article it would seem that with up to 800 cars on order that there is probably another years worth of supply already waiting on the books.

I've also seen people selling their place in the queue here on eBay.

No doubt some buyers might slip to the Focus and Astra when they are realesed in the next couple of months.

VW are also having a great run with the standard Golf also and I've even seen a number of Jetta's on the road already.

Ordered mine in the last week of January and just got the comm. number and will be built in week 37, delivery 8 to 12 weeks later. that's December at the latest. 11 month wait, but thats what he told me all along.

Another dealer told me he could get me one by July, however I doubt that as he probably just wanted the sale and then would have told me it was delayed

I ordered late Jan as well. Initially they told me Sept delivery, then i added xenons to my order and the wait extended to December. Last week i changed my order again, this time more substantial, i changed manual to DSG and the wait dropped to Sept/Oct again. Late last week i changed the leather to cloth and now the car is expected to be built in MAY! With a late June/July delivery! Thats almost 3 months extra wait for leather. Im now happy and sad.. You see i leave for Europe 13 July and I wont be back till the end of August! So do I leave the car at the dealer or in my garage for six weeks?

Thanks to that newspaper article the waiting list has now dropped by 3 months! It wasn't the leather option after all, apparently VW Australia are gonna source cars from Germany to reduce the demand over the next 3 to 4 months. So all you guys with commission nos and Sep/Oct/Dec delivery give VW a call i think you'll be pleasantly surprised, German built as well!

I agree with OzGTI, I can't see any obvious differences between the German built cars and the South African ones. My GTI was built in SA, but the R32 in NZ is built in Germany.

I had an R32 on loan the other week and it featured bigger gaps and irregular fitting dash panels -- whereas my GTI's are perfect.

Rattles - I have had a couple - three actually.

The top of the dash - -this is where the large perforated panel sits. This had the odd rattle initially but has gone since the warm weather has arrived. I'll be interested to see if it returns when things cool down again. My current thinking is that the piece is a little too small a fit so when it contracts it rattles. The guys in the UK have a fix for this with a little felt should it return.

Sunroof - this used to have the odd rattle but I hit a fairly karge pot hole months ago and it hasn't rattled since. The sunroof is great BTW.

Passengers door - this has also gone away after a couple of weeks of ownership. The UK guys also have a fix for this.

So since about November/December I've been rattle free. After nine months - which on one hand isn't a long time but is likley to be around 20% of my total ownership experience the car is tight, the leather taut, the switches all good to touch - the interior - with just a little care on my part still looks new.

I have to say I'm impressed. While the actual plactics might not be as good as my previous Audi's I think the fit is at least the equal and I've certainly less rattles than on my previous A3T.

So far very happy and very satisfied with the interior and the build.

Hi Jono, what did you think of the R32 v the GTI. I have not taken the R32 for a drive as I am happy with the GTI and apart from the extra $20k cost, I think that the GTI fulfills my needs completely. With petrol having gone up another 5c per litre, and running on Ulitmate I don't think I would want the extra running costs of the V6 at the moment.

Cheers

I'm surprised that European demand is dropping off.

I saw a new Polo GTI the other day (here in Oz)- its not even on sale in the UK yet. Thought it looked good (in white) except for the wheels looked too small.

Also, any reason why the Focus is called XR5 here but ST in the UK?