GTI Paint Protection

jameslon

The VW dealer uses Autoglym Lifeshine which costs somewhere between £150 and £300. This cost is negotiable because the profit is added to the salesmans commission.

I expect delivery of my car in about 3 weeks, I have today been told that it is at Emden docks in Germany, and have bought a pack of Lifeshine off Fleebay for £12 and will apply it myself. I would rather apply it myself because I do not trust the young lads in PDI.

Waste of money, I used to work at many a main dealer. It cost the dealer about £25 and you pay about £200-300, the salesman usually gets a commission for selling it!!!

You do get a pack of polish's but you can buy these cheaper at Halfords or online, well cheaper thann £200-300 anyway.

You get some form of guarantee with these polishes but your paintwork is under warranty anyway. My advise is get the car home and do the polishing yourself, save a few quid

it might cost a lot, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of time, or something that doesn't work. Overpriced it might be, dung.gif it may not 169144-ok.gif

I'm lucky to know a mate who can do it for me for £50. So might give it a pop.

He's a valeter and says it makes the cars very easy to clean!

Again Dealer's won't always negotiate if they think you can afford it - I completely failed to get my last Audi dealership to knock anything off it sportifs2.gif

So I picked a Lifeshine PDI pack from Fleabay for under £30 - a £200 plus saving, even after buying afterpolishes etc.

What I think is happening is the the Lifeshine PDI pack contains enough for one very large car, so the Valeter can do more than one smaller car with each pack cool.gif. Each pack has a certificate which goes to the person paying £300 warranting the lifeshine smirk.gif.

However the Valeter is then left with complete unused sets to sell on fleabay and make whatever extra money they can the_finger.gif

Hi lazydragon.

My advice is to do it yourself, but do it straight away when you get your car. VW paint (or the clearcoat) is pretty soft and easily scratched in my opinion. Applying a high quality sealant in the first week of ownership is going to help protect your GTI.

See my thread on a sealant product I used. I know this product to be available in Australia also. http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/show...true#Post742034

I bought my GTI as a used car and it had it on... mine is black and with just a shampoo it comes up great...... a mate had his done when he bought his car, had a little word with the guy who was going to do it and they arranged for it to be done after the car had got out the stealers, for a fraction of the price!!

As mentioned in my first post, I have been offered the Silver Screen process for 80 pounds (I believe using the 'leftovers' from the official process). Is it worth it? Or should I go with another, more famous brand - any recommended ones in the SE? From the posts I feel thats its seems best to have the process done as soon as possible after collection of a new vehicle.