AMD reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golfer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at some of the graphs on their website a while back and you could see that the maps for turbo charged cars where designed to give you as the driver the impression the car was actually alot more powerful than it actually was.

ie a lot of low rev range boost (giving a huge low down shove) which peters out when the revs rise rather than a nice smooth progressive map strategy which will make the delivery a lot more linear but ultimately make the car far more driveable and faster.

Interesting discussion going on about Dyno graphs on the rs246.com at the mo...

"Looks a nice genuine map with a nice increase in power even at lowish revs. Audi quote 414 ft lb torque at 1950revs but that reading will never be seen on a rolling road dyno due to the lockup characteristics of the transmission and the kickdown.

Power and torque should always be equal at 5252revs/min and yet in magazine articles quite often you'll see that they aren't...a sure sign of a falsified graph."

"That's because power is related to torque:

Power = Torque x 2pi x rpm

Converting to horsepower:

horsepower = Torque x 2pi x rpm / 33000

which becomes:

horsepower = Torque x rpm / 5252

Hence, when the rpm = 5252, the division cancels out and we simply have horsepower = Torque."

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion what they offer is a very crude ecu tweak not a remap and certainly not a custom map for this particular vehicle the R32.

Out of interest if as AMD claim they offer a bespoke custom remap for each car and not just a simple ecu tweak ( note the words custom ) then why or how could the VW code interfere with AMD's code ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simon, specific to the "custom remaps", AmD don't claim to write a custom remap for every ECU remap they apply to every car.

They write the remap once based on the test car they're setting up, and then genericise it as much as they can so they can apply the remap to the same engine on other cars without having a major impact on the potential torque and power increases, based on the original custom development of the remap.

They do write custom remaps though - Helfinger's VF Stage 3 supercharged R32 is testament to this, and Adam has worked on getting it right for a long, long time, because it's the first conversion that's been done in the UK.

WRT remaps for turbo'd cars, Scotty started a thread in this forum a while ago, discussing with ECU_Tuner_Will about putting up graphs for the remaps he does and there are soooo many posts in the thread about different people preferring different styles of remap. Some people prefer a kick in the back at 2K rpm, some people prefer a more steady increase in power.

AmD's remaps for turbo'd cars have always suited me, but that's the great thing about having more than one tuner in the German car tuning market in the UK.

AmD are my choice, but not yours - fair enough 169144-ok.gif

As I've said before, I cant fault them either. Yup, like any other business they make mistakes, but they are always more than eager to sort them out. No probs going back to them here...

Buy the way, just had my MkV R Stage 2 tunng completed with AMD. Like the first MkIV R's, the gains will get better with time with each remap until they have optimised the powere and torque gains for a number of conditions and individual cars, when they can then use a 'set' of remaps to apply to subsequent remaps.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Power and torque should always be equal at 5252revs/min and yet in magazine articles quite often you'll see that they aren't...a sure sign of a falsified graph."

[/ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a quality bit of info. reamp due soon so will be sure to check 169144-ok.gif