M3 warranty

flnutt

I think the general consensus is to extend the warranty. If something major should go wrong then you can be looking at big bucks. BMW however have just altered their warranty policy which has not gone well and it means a yearly fee of just over 1K and then if your car has more than 60K miles you are looking at nearly £1800!!! shocked.gif

They have also implemented a £250 excess per claim which has not gone down well, lets hope they review their changes as its caused a major stir amongst M car owners.

As far as what can go wrong, I havent heard of too many major engine failures, there can be problems with the VANOS I have heard. For more info check out www.bm3w.co.uk

Hope that helps 169144-ok.gif

MrMe will prob answer this in more detail having owned one longer than me !

This bloody warranty hike and excess charge was one of the reasons I sold my M3 Coupe - It is a disgrace - I don't think BMW are doing them selves any favours - will turn potential buyers to Porsche, Audi etc..IMO

But if you are keeping your M - then I would advise, strongly, that you still extend the warranty with BMW (not a 3rd party)

Plus, I think the extended warranty will mean that should you decide to sell the M - it will be much easier to do so, and maybe command a slight premium over a similar motor that has no more BMW Warranty

There is a lot that could go wrong with an M3 after 3 years.

However, that's a atatement that could be applied to a plethora of finely tuned cars. In reality you'll be able to find a lot of cars that have covered over 60,000 miles and are running without a problem.

There are cars with 100,000+ and even 145,000 on BM3W - and they've not had any major work done on them.

There is a common factor though - FULL BMW SERVICE HISTORY.

It's critical in my opinion. I wouldn't consider one without it and you'll benefit at the point of resale (perhaps not to the amount you've outlayed, but you'll have had much more peace of mind throughout your ownership experience).

You can get a third party warranty too remember. You need to it cover the mega-expensive items only. That is, engine, gearbox (particularly SMGII which can be very costly to fix but is the best option on any M3 in my opinion) and major electrics.

Spend a long time looking for the right car, get it inspected by a M trained Technician from a dealership - and you should have many miles of extremely fun motoring.

Personally i wouldnt buy an m3 without the warranty. Had suspension problems with mine which would of cost a fortune had i not had the warranty.....

Totally agree about the warranty hike.... its disgusting... but if you bought the warranty before 1st feb its still the old excellent warranty

2 x E46 M3's and 2 x Engine replacements under warranty...my advice dont leave home without it 169144-ok.gif

wow didnt realise BMW have hiked up their warranties...I think they must have lost a lot of money on their engine issues with the M3 recalls last couple of years...

[ QUOTE ]

2 x E46 M3's and 2 x Engine replacements under warranty...my advice dont leave home without it 169144-ok.gif

wow didnt realise BMW have hiked up their warranties...I think they must have lost a lot of money on their engine issues with the M3 recalls last couple of years...

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually hold you personally responsible for the hike in warranty charges TOK.......... fekr.gifwink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually hold you personally responsible for the hike in warranty charges TOK.......... fekr.gifwink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif123576-assfeck.gifyelrotflmao.gif

very good... yelrotflmao.gif

• 3 weeks later...

ok, thanks...I see...crikey, that's a hell of a hike. I always had in my mind a figure of about 700 quid but I never knew for sure. Thankfully I don't have to think about buying extra warranty for another 14 months or so but a grand will be a painful blow. Almost 50 percent increase...crazy.