Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GTI_J

MFD2 + CD CHANGER + IPOD

13 posts in this topic

Like some of you guys, been looking for a way of connecting an IPOD Video to an MFD2 head but keeping the CD Changer in the armrest cos I gather the VW & Dension adapters don't allow this. Anyway a ray of hope, it appears this $149.99 kit from iConnection will do the job. Has anybody fitted one and if so any good?

See http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-iPod-i...039626326QQrdZ1

iCon's response to my questions below:

Q. I've an 06 Golf GTI on order with an MFD2 (DVD version) and I'd like to connect an IPOD Video to it but retain the CD changer, is this possible?

A. The iCon kit has a Y-cable supplied, one side is plugged into iCon module of course, another is to the CD-changer socket at the back of the MFD2. The last connector is slotted into the CD-Changer harness.

Q. How do you switch from one source to the other and once the source is selected, does the steering wheel controls work in the same way for each source.

A. The iCon module acts as a iPod control centre and also a unique feature called a CD-Changer switch, served by iCon module. For MFD2, you press CD button will toggle to the CD-changer, once you have iCon installed, press CD button will toggle to the ipod, at any time you are playing the iPod, press FM then within a few seconds or instantly press CD button again will switch source to your CD-Changer and vice versa. The steering wheel controls work as usual for each source.

Q. Does the cable to the IPOD include a live feed for charging?

A. Yes, it charges the iPod

Q. Is there a way of getting video from the IPOD to show on the MFD2 screen? I guess this would be via the AUX socket but not sure.

A. This is beyond the scope of the iCon kit right now.

post-13712-137914351667_thumb.jpg

Good post mate, you're in the same boat as me! Just that I've been too lazy to email them wink.gif

I've been looking at this also & was going to e-mail them to ask some questions as well.

As I don't have my car yet, one thing I'm unclear about does the Sat-Nav have a "FM" button?

I thought it only had a button marked "Band".

Good point, will ask them. Also wondering how long the cable is i.e. glovebox or console mount.

I was thinking of putting it in the centre console were the bottle opener is.

Similar to this. ( I think this is an Audi )

758934-Ipod.png

I'm not sure if an I-pod Video will fit into this position or not.

It's a bit hard without the car to check.

post-11585-137914351706_thumb.png

Received a response back from iCon overnight (pretty impressed!), see below:-

Q. The newer MFD2 in the GTI appears to have INFO | RADIO | CD | MUTE | DEST | NAV | MAP buttons along the bottom of the unit, believe FM is accessed from the RADIO menu but it doesn't have its own button. Can you clarify how you would get back to the CD Changer when listening to the IPOD.

A. The RADIO button kick and then CD button serve the same purpose for toggle between ipod and CDC. Some MFD2 unit even called (TUNE) not RADIO

Q. Is the cable long enough to mount the IPOD in the centre console area OR is it designed for a glovebox mount

A. It can be mount in the centre console, it's up to you to place the ipod.

Good pic mate, I was thinking of the exact same spot if the vid version will fit in there. Have you any idea how to get video into the MFD2? Not sure what this plugs into at the IPOD end but it must use the spare AUX socket on the MFD. Remember seeing a thread from someone who'd managed this but they didn't say where they'd got the cable.

Should get the car & IPOD middle of April (build week 13) so hope to get it installed by end of the month!

[ QUOTE ]

( I think this is an Audi )

758934-Ipod.png

[/ QUOTE ]

BMW M3 I believe

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

( I think this is an Audi )

758934-Ipod.png

[/ QUOTE ]

with SMG...

1.gif

BMW M3 I believe

[/ QUOTE ]

And that horrible red interior smile.gif

Also it's the U2 version of the ipod *geek*

Anyway, let me know how you get on, I'm looking to mount my ipod somewhere in the car.

Thanks for finding out that Info GTI J.

Just found this company in the US is selling the same one

Link

Picture of the adapter

ICONNECTION_VWR1.jpg

RE. Video in I think Dietz make a product that will interface with the MFD2.

The MFD2 has a AUX-IN connector separate to the CD changer input that the I-pod/CD changer use.

On this connector is L/R audio in plus RGBsync Video.

So the adapter will have to convert Composite video (single RCA) to RGB + sync.

Plus I'm not sure what resolution the Sat-Nav display is & if the Dietz box will scale the resolution correctly to the display.

The other thing is the video will shut off wne the car moves.

Let us know how you go with the adapter if you get one.

I'm also keen but wont have my car until May I think.

Cheers mate, another top find. Tracked down the Dietz interface tonight (Model 1414) - see http://www.audiotechnik-dietz.de/ENG/00000096460ce6d18/00000096460d08c1d.html

Its available on ebay (use google to translate) at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dietz-1414-Multime...5QQcmdZViewItem

This looks to connect to an iPOD AV cable (1/8" to RCA cable) which uses the headphone minijack. Believe the Apple version is wired Contact 1: Video (yellow), Contact 2: Left Audio (white), Contact 3: Right Audio (red) - any similar cable should work and hey presto!? - or am I being too optimistic!

The iConnection interface will hopefully be happy just using the standard IPOD dock connector for audio/charging via the Y split CD Changer input on the MFD2 and the Dietz kit should handle video/audio through the aux connection. All I need now is the dimensions of the centre console cup holder to see if an IPOD Vid will fit with the sliding lid closed - its 4.1" x 2.4" x 0.55" - should be an easy job to run the cables. Just 3 weeks to go before she arrives but if anybody could measure this for us I'd be well happy.

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers mate, another top find. Tracked down the Dietz interface tonight (Model 1414) - see http://www.audiotechnik-dietz.de/ENG/00000096460ce6d18/00000096460d08c1d.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that's the one I have seen also.

I'd also like to find out the inside dimensions of the centre console cup holder area.

I think it might be close fit.

I've been trying to use some "photo algebra" by measuring the CD changer cd slot length and I normal CD and measuring the console cup holder width from the photo - it's a bit inconclusive tongue.gif