What's my GTI worth?

s1brt

Hi guys.

I've been thinking of maybe changing my car recently.I've been offered £20,000 for it (in standard guise) in part exchange against a new M3 CS,which is one of a few I'm considering swapping to.

With my spec and bolt on goodies,what do you lot think I could sell the car for privately?

It is immaculate and has now covered 9500 miles.

Thanks.

Si.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've spent a lot of money on that, how come you're selling it after less than a year? Obviously it's your choice mate, but you must have spent the best pat of £4,000 on that car surely? The Amd bill would have hit £2k.

£20k seems about right to me, but it all depends who is out there looking for a car tbh. If someone comes along wanted a pre-modded car then you may get a better offer, I'd advertise on TSN, UK-MKIVS and Pistonheads. You're most likely to get an enthusiast crowd on there.

The annoying thing is that I probably would have bought your car if I'd read this a few months back frown.gif

On a final note, bear in mind that M3's depreciate a lot and with a new model just around the corner the run out M3's will be hit very hard, I've already seen two year old models selling for nearly half new price.

[ QUOTE ]

If that is p/x from BMW snap their hands off. You prob get that money private, but for a dealer to pay that for a fettled car is imho strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely - and I'll tell you why...

The M3 CS has a lot of money in it, and now is a time when dealers are snapping people's hand off. The car is due to be replaced in the UK in 18 months.

They've got at least £4k in a CS. You can get more in the deal.

[ QUOTE ]

On a final note, bear in mind that M3's depreciate a lot and with a new model just around the corner the run out M3's will be hit very hard, I've already seen two year old models selling for nearly half new price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say two things on that.

1. They do not normally depreciate a lot at all. In fact they hold much better than most other cars. However, with the E92 around the corner then yes they'll take a big hit.

2. Two year old models for £20k? Tell me where and I'll buy both of them. The highest milers at 4 years old or more go for £18-20k, so quite how you've seen 2 year old cars for £20-24k I've no idea.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Two year old models for £20k? Tell me where and I'll buy both of them. The highest milers at 4 years old or more go for £18-20k, so quite how you've seen 2 year old cars for £20-24k I've no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

M3s do lose a fair bit of money unless BMW are selling it second hand in which case they are up at max price.

You seem to think the new m3 will cause a big drop in price. IMHO as the new m3 will be hard to come buy i think BMW will do good business on the old car.

Please remember that people are only sharing their views/ thoughts on this fine site. You seem to question peoples honesty.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

M3s do lose a fair bit of money unless BMW are selling it second hand in which case they are up at max price.

You seem to think the new m3 will cause a big drop in price. IMHO as the new m3 will be hard to come buy i think BMW will do good business on the old car.

Please remember that people are only sharing their views/ thoughts on this fine site. You seem to question peoples honesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

In comparison to what? Sorry, but that's just not the case at all. They hold 50% to 55% of value after 3 years in nearly all cases - which is much higher than average. What exactly are you comparing them with?

In response to the second comment that I've bolded - I'm not questioning honesty, I'm questioning your facts. I've owned 2 and I'm not in the habit of misleading TSN-er's - and I believe that's what your advice does.

An M3 Coupe with SMGII is a very solid purchase in most circumstances. However, the new model will hurt residuals regardless of availability. It's certainly not going to keep them level because of a shortage of E92's which is what you're intimating. It simply doesn't happen. The E46 M3's will still sell, of course they will, but residuals will start to go on a deeper decline. You can look through every M3 ever released - it's fact.

In addition to the bit about questioning people's honesty I'll say this...

Presumably the comment was in response to my saying you'll not find a second hand, 2 year old, average mileage, average M3 for 50% of it's original price.

If so, go and find me one and then post it on here. Then we'll see how accurate the information was. New price £40-43k, so you're looking for an M3 on a 04 plate with 22-26k on the clock for £20,000 to £21,500. Good luck, you'll be gone a long time.

My facts?

I was commenting on your response to a fellow TSN-er.

When i said BMW will do good business, i was responding to what you said about BMW having 4k in a CS.

Again this is only MHO but if mr x goes in to the dealers for the new M3 and is told that the first 2 years allocation are sold out, he might plump for the current model. Therefor it doesnt matter how much BMW have in a car if the customers are there.

[ QUOTE ]

My facts?

I was commenting on your response to a fellow TSN-er.

When i said BMW will do good business, i was responding to what you said about BMW having 4k in a CS.

Again this is only MHO but if mr x goes in to the dealers for the new M3 and is told that the first 2 years allocation are sold out, he might plump for the current model. Therefor it doesnt matter how much BMW have in a car if the customers are there.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my previous post. If you think it was unfounded - go and find the car. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Again this is only MHO but if mr x goes in to the dealers for the new M3 and is told that the first 2 years allocation are sold out, he might plump for the current model.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, do you really think that someone asking to buy an E92 M3 will buy an E46 instead?

It's a proven fact that the majority of E92 buyers will be E46 owners in the first place.

Would you do it? I'd venture to say that I think very few people looking to buy an E92 will even consider opting for an E46 as an alternative whilst they wait. They might hang on to a car they already own, granted, but buy the old model?

Please read the posts with more care before being so sharp. Stevie D's comments read. "Nearly half the price".

Why are you suddenly giving exact figures and challenging people to find things.

Oh and VW are doing what you suggest BMW cant. I know a couple of people that have gone to buy an R32 but after being told how long they will have to wait they have gone for the GTI.

Again this is only my thoughts and i will expect you to disagree.

Your thought process.... "when i wont your opinion i will give it to you"

[ QUOTE ]

You've spent a lot of money on that, how come you're selling it after less than a year? Obviously it's your choice mate, but you must have spent the best pat of £4,000 on that car surely? The Amd bill would have hit £2k.

£20k seems about right to me, but it all depends who is out there looking for a car tbh. If someone comes along wanted a pre-modded car then you may get a better offer, I'd advertise on TSN, UK-MKIVS and Pistonheads. You're most likely to get an enthusiast crowd on there.

The annoying thing is that I probably would have bought your car if I'd read this a few months back frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your comments,guys. smile.gif

Steve,you're not wrong that I've spent money on it,but the standard car was always going to be a compromised choice after my previous steeds.It was originally order for my wife to replace a Cooper 'S',but after the aggravated attempt to take my Evo she didn't want it anymore.As I needed to get rid of the Evo and replace it with a more discreet mode of transport,I went ahead.Don't get me wrong,it's a great car,but I'm after something more.

As far as deciding on what,I'm still up in the air.I've considered a Cayman S,S4 and even another Scoob/Evo EEK2.GIFsuicide.gif.But I'm keen on the CS as it seems to have everything that I'm currently looking for!On the other hand,I might just enjoy the Golf for another 12 months - I'm sure that won't be too much of a hardship! wink.gif

So back to my original request,what does anyone think that someone might be temted to pay for it?

Si.

Hi Si,

Your GTI is highly specced and very much a car to do track days. I don't expect any dealer to offer you a price to reflect the modded spec and would anticipate that interest would come from an enthusiast. It will be very interesting to see how much you actually sell for and I hope you'll let us know in this GTI forum.

I'm surprised you are selling so soon but it's obviously what you prefer to do. Good Luck 169144-ok.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

Please read the posts with more care before being so sharp. Stevie D's comments read. "Nearly half the price".

Why are you suddenly giving exact figures and challenging people to find things.

Oh and VW are doing what you suggest BMW cant. I know a couple of people that have gone to buy an R32 but after being told how long they will have to wait they have gone for the GTI.

Again this is only my thoughts and i will expect you to disagree.

Your thought process.... "when i wont your opinion i will give it to you"

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh get over yourself man! yelrotflmao.gif

Ok, so he said 'nearly'. You must have a very broad definition of that word then. Go on then, find one that is nearly half price. You said I was questioning him so go on, go and prove him right.

I have until 2007. 169144-ok.gif

It's nothing to do with forcing an opinion. It's all to do with this...

Someone asked for serious advice. Someone waded in with the now legendary forum quote of the mythical M3. You know the ones. They could be 911's, S4's or whatever. However, what remains constant is there is always someone who has seen a car at half price in X amount of years. Yet somehow, and this is the mythical bit....no-one can ever find them!!!!!!!

Serious advice was asked of - so give the guy the merit of serious replies. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I know a couple of people that have gone to buy an R32 but after being told how long they will have to wait they have gone for the GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I see what you're trying to say there. However, with all due respect - there is no comparison at all.

They're buying a NEW car. Still. They're not buying an old model. How can that stand as testament to prospective E92 buyers opting for a model that will be 7 years old in design ethic and engineering (albeit very advanced)?

The crux of it is I am not questioning for the sake of it. However, two things have been said that profer bad advice to someone who asked a very serious question.

1. 2 year old M3's existing for half price - they don't!

2. That M3's (you said this) lose a lot of money

On point 2 the simple statistics are that it's not true in percentage terms when compared to almost any other car.

[ QUOTE ]

Someone asked for serious advice. Someone waded in with the now legendary forum quote of the mythical M3. You know the ones. They could be 911's, S4's or whatever. However, what remains constant is there is always someone who has seen a car at half price in X amount of years. Yet somehow, and this is the mythical bit....no-one can ever find them!!!!!!!

Serious advice was asked of - so give the guy the merit of serious replies. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on then, stop finding fault with others peoples comments and answer the question.

On autotrader there are some 53 plate m3s up at around £25,000. Given the options this is NEARLY HALF THE PRICE.

Guys,I realise the pitfalls of considering the CS now,but at this particular moment it is a car that I am seriously considering for several reasons.If the deal looks good,then I might jump ships,if it doesn't I wont!Who knows,come autumn time I might seriously be considering a 335/335d instead.I'm just a crazy,screwed-up,indecisive old Hector with petrol running through my veins and the necessary ability to conveniently forget how much money I've lost on cars over the years when I fancy a change! wink.gif

Now your talking 335/335d. My dads got a 535d and its great. Whent to Frankfurt motorshow last year. A couple of hours at 110-120mph and 34mpg. Wow.

335d should be quick, aslong as it is the same engiene as the 5 and they dont detune it a little. Still not convinced about 335's bhp. Is it 306, 309, or in the 330's.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on then, stop finding fault with others peoples comments and answer the question.

On autotrader there are some 53 plate m3s up at around £25,000. Given the options this is NEARLY HALF THE PRICE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utter rubbish!

Post the spec. Go on. £50k is not the price of a new M3 unless it had EVERY option on it AND individual colour inside and out.

A high spec one with SatNav Pro/TV, SMGII and 19"'s plus a few more gizmo's is £45k, so quite how you think £50k would be the price I don't know!

So let's see the specs and mileage. Post the link - show me I'm wrong and you're right. Go on, put me in my place. If you've found an average M3, with average miles, I'll even say a September 03 car can qualify! If you have, I'll give you the credit - but I know you'll not have found a car that is near 50% of it's value and around 2 years old without VERY high miles or a manual with low spec....

EDITED TO ADD: Don't bother, I've got them up on screen now and we'll have a look shall we....just give me a min... yelrotflmao.gif

Car 1: 2003 - 53 (so it could be 2.5 years old, but hey-ho)

Manual with 9,500 miles....and everything else on it is standard. So that car had an approximate new price of £41k maximum - it doesn't even have the 19"'s - and it's up at £25,995 through an independant garage. Now forgive me, but that isn't nearly half price in anyones book is it? Oh, it has a Tracker. Big money there eh.

Car 2: 2003 - 53 (again, could be 2.5 years old, but we're being generous)

SMGII and Estoril Blue! Excellent start! 19" wheels - great! SatNav Pro too, this is brilliant. Wow - 21,000 miles! Fantastic! That would have had a new price of about £49k!!!! It's up at less than £27k!!! So you've done it...well done!

Urrrr, no....hang on....what's this? Category D repaired.

Oh fook. Durrrrrrr!

Car 3: 2003 - 53 (being nice again)

SMGII, SatNav Pro & TV, HK and 19"'s, a safe colour combination too. So the new price of that was £44,800 being generous to you. It's up at £26k. Hmm, well that's not half price or close to it though is it. Half price would be £23k? But as I'm being nice...let's say you can get him down to £25k on price. That's still £2k more than half price - so a full 60% of original price - but hey. Ooooh hang on though....it's done almost 50,000 miles!!!! That's not exactly average mileage for a 2 year old or so M3 is it!

Billy mate, I'm not trying to be awkward - but I think I've demonstrated my point. They do not exist at 'nearly' half price at 2 years old (and as you can see above I was very generous with my age range).

I'll leave the subject alone now, but it'd be nice if people backed up things with facts rather than live in a little world of their own when 'nearly' becomes whatever they need it to be. Offer advice that you'd be glad of, not fantasy information.