Tyre Pressures

OldTimer

Just had 2 front tyres replaced on my recently purchased 1.9TDI. The tyre fitters reckon the old tyres were worn because the previous owner had not maintained them at the correct pressure, they recommended 34psi all round. The recommended pressures on the label on the inside of the filler lid state unladen front 2.1 (30psi) rear 1.9 (27psi) and laden/speed front 2.3 (33psi) rear 2.9 (42psi). I generally do a lot of motorway driving (obviously speed) but the car is rarely laden with anything but me and a few bits in the boot. What do you folks reckon is the optimum pressure for my use. The tyres are 195/65R15.

Thanks

My Passat(Saloon) 1.9 Rear and 2.1 Front(unloaded) this is according to the sticker on the back of the fuel tank flap. British 28 psi Rear and 31 psi Front. It is the original VW sticker for tyre pressure.

Best of luck! coffee.gif

P.S. Michellin Pilot PRIMACY 195/65 R15 91V

I'm no expert but my understanding is that hard compound tyres such as Michelin wear better than other manufacturers who use softer compound rubber. The trade off is that the Michelin's are not as good in the wet and ice as some others. So, if we all lived in Spain it would be easy, Michelin's in the summer and Dunlop's in the winter, but this isn't Spain is it.

Thanks for your responses, very useful.

• 3 weeks later...