An 18 inch Work Of Art...

RedRobin

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No comparision? Glad your chuffed. They look great, but its hardly chalk and cheese!

I wonder what the 17's would look like with the grey bits painted. .

To my mind, the two wheels look virtually identical - in terms of overall design. It's just the attention to detail of the finishing on the 18's that make the difference. They are therefore unique, which is I guess why people prefer them. More attention grabbing, dynamic style.

Looking at your car with the 18's on, my eyes are drawn towards those 18's, as they do have a certain 'wow' factor, whereas, with the 17's on, they seem to be more a part of the overall good look of the car.

Therefore, my all too predictable analogy, is thus.

Its a bit like having a choice between a pair of cracking-hot twins, one with a fine rack, the other with an obvious boob-job!

post-12964-13791435222_thumb.jpg

What I mean by "there's no comparison" is only in my opinion, I much prefer the 18s and was wrong about them not suiting a red GTI so well as 17s. Heck, they are both excellent designs by BBS. I would still much rather have genuine 17s than replica 18s no matter how good the imitation was.

Something I think I'm experiencing with the 18s is slightly better grip. I can't tell if it's due to my modded suspension working with the 18s or if it's new Bridgestones compared with the assymmetric Continentals I had (which weren't particularly worn). I can def feel that there is less rubber between me and the road but without any harshness or discomfort at all. I drove some familiar roads this morning for comparison.

Hi Chris - "The best thing I ever did?" - That's actually a difficult question to answer. Apart from the obvious answer of buying a Mk5 GTI, it's a tough call between the Milltek Hi-flow and the KoniFSD+Eibach suspension. The 18s seem to subtley help the grip a tad, unless it's just my imagination.

The extra grip is going to come from less flex in the tyre walls - theoretically, but in reality yes, I wouldn't be suprised if the upgraded suspension geometry was working better now, (because you've now changed them proportionally).

Besides, a big part of handling balance is your confidence at the wheel, and if you 'feel' the road better now, you have more control (regardless of if any actual improvement exists).

Cheers, CMC 169144-ok.gif. That's useful info. I noticed that although Oli's car felt very smooth and a good firm ride on his BBS CH 19s, mine felt better 'planted' on the road but I put that down to the modded suspension which does keep my car very 'flat'. Also, my seat position is down to as low as poss (an excellent tip which SiBurt gave me).

You mentioning confidence reminds me that I must organise a Car Control course.