Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedRobin

An 18 inch Work Of Art...

136 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

The extra grip is going to come from less flex in the tyre walls - theoretically, but in reality yes, I wouldn't be suprised if the upgraded suspension geometry was working better now, (because you've now changed them proportionally).

Besides, a big part of handling balance is your confidence at the wheel, and if you 'feel' the road better now, you have more control (regardless of if any actual improvement exists).

[/ QUOTE ]

And brand new tyres.

RR> Get yourself on a car control course mate! I'm so much more confident on the roads, but ironically get flashed and sworn at more now. Guess "average" drivers don't realise when it's safe to perform an overtake wink.gif

Seriously, it's THE best modification you can do to any car! Not just in terms of safety, but your enjoyment and speed (situations permitting wink.gif) will increase too 169144-ok.gif

I've been thinking about it for a while. Don Palmer is very highly recommended but insists on well worn tyres - I could use my 17s though they are only about half worn with 10K miles. Friend Ray West has offered to spend a day with me on the roads but that could be a bit scary as he's a fully fledged international racing driver! What I don't want to do is encourage myself to drive faster everywhere.

RR> You can have a look at a a car limits day. They're good fun and only £45 if you don't mind being in a large group. It's a fairly fun and easy introduction to handling, plus the bloke who runs it is a legend 169144-ok.gif

I'm back out with my copper mate in a few weeks for some more tuition, I really can't stress enough how much difference it makes!

Plus, as I tell my mother, yes the GTI is a fast car, yes I've had training to drive fast, when suitable, but this doesn't mean I have to drive fast, sometimes it's nice to cruise wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

RR> You can have a look at a a car limits day. They're good fun and only £45 if you don't mind being in a large group. It's a fairly fun and easy introduction to handling, plus the bloke who runs it is a legend 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Andrew Walsh. 169144-ok.gif

Andrew has taken me on a one-to-one driver training day around the hills of South Wales, and I've also been on a four person driver training day at North Weald airfield with him. Andrew is superb and I would highly recommend his driver training.

I'd like to do an airfield driver training day in the GTI as last time was in an Elise. Anyone else? It would be cool to have and all GTI day. cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That would be Andrew Walsh. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Another vote for Andrew bowdown.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifbowdown.gif

I was seriously considering an upgrade for my Elise but instead spend half the money on training with Andrew - money well spent and some of the best fun possible 169144-ok.gif

Hi Melchior - Can you let me know what you have in mind? How soon etc.

The next available Four Person day is:

North Weald Airfield (ESSEX)

25 April 2006

Price : (4 Person Day) - £170 each

Total Attendees: 4 | 4 spaces remaining

That sounds good to me. Are you suggesting you, me, plus 2 more Mk5 GTI owners?

(If I don't answer for a bit, I'm about to watch The Apprentice and then.....Desperate Housewives!!)

[ QUOTE ]

North Weald Airfield

[/ QUOTE ]

Will be interested to hear what speed you manage the left hander at ECLIPSe.gif

I'd be interested in that, North Wealde's only 40 mins from me smile.gif

I managed the left hander at about 85mph iirc in my MKIV, but I did catch the "wall" on my 90mph and go into a vicious spin smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That sounds good to me. Are you suggesting you, me, plus 2 more Mk5 GTI owners?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes 169144-ok.gif

Red thanks for posting the pics... the comparison photo has finally sold the 18's to me. bowdown.gifnotworthy.gifbowdown.gifnotworthy.gif They do look better and I do wish I'd gone for the 18's. Bollox! coffee.gif

They look FABOLOUS, you lucky fekr.gif

I'm really happy for you mate! 169144-ok.gif

Red,

The 18's look great.

I'll have to see how we might be able to get them into Australia! While there are plenty of suitable atfer market 18's around I like the integrity of the Monza 18 look with the car and I'm yet to be convinced by any other designs in the same way.

Yep, those 18's do improve things - with your colour coded rear bumper the car looks much lower too .... Carlos Fandango! grin.gif169144-ok.gif .... Should also save on tyre dressing with less profile! smashfreakB.gif

OzGTI when you work out how to get the wheels in Australia, PM me coz i'll be interested too. Im from Melbourne also.

By the way there was some1 on the vortex forums, from Melb or Syd (can't remember)that imported them from hong kong, total cost was around 3k AU with tyres. sekret.gif

toti and OzGTI, you should be able to source them from NZ as those 18's are available here. Would probably cost a bomb however!

The interesting thing is that the official Australian VW GTI site shows cars on 18s: www.gti.com.au

Perhaps an enquiry to VW Australia regarding this representation might bring forth some help?

Good point, nhs 169144-ok.gif. It's called 'trade description misrepresentation' and is usually strictly dealt with.

Looks great Red 169144-ok.gif

As you have had the valance painted at the back when you had the exhausts done, are you thinking about getting the skirts done too? Next mod perhaps?