An 18 inch Work Of Art...

RedRobin

Hi Shark 169144-ok.gif. The rear valance is standard Abt kit (not a painted VW factory issue). No, I'm not going to do the sides....In the flesh it really doesn't need them, plus it then means I would need to do the front lip as well. There's a couple of friends I visit who have long farm tractor style rutted drives and I need all the clearance I've got!

Next mod should be a Car Control course methinks. Looking at Carbonio Air Intake when test results are released.

I hear you are enjoying your ex J_C motor and looking foward to owning his current car one day. I was there when he made that promise to you grin.gif169144-ok.gif.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep the 1.8T is running well. DIS successfully refitted, so I now know the (drastic) mpg figures! I did a whopping 19.1 mpg on the way back from Windsor last night!

Someone scraped my bumper yesterday SAUER0421.GIF so I now have to have that repaired. NOT impressed!

Looking forward to the next "hand-me-down" ECLIPSe.gif

Yes, well it is worth asking VW Australia, which I will do today.

My guess is that they will not import them even as an after market item as I don't think they comply with Australian design rules. I'll also try and find out if that is the case or not.

I'll pst the answer when I get it.

Re supply ex NZ, Jono thatis not a bad idea. The exchange rate with NZ is quite favourable at present so it might be worth looking at. I have a good fried who imports/exports between NZ and Melbourne also so It wouldn't be a problem getting them here at not too much cost.

Ok, I have emailed VW Australia for a start.

Three questions basically:

1/ Can they get Monza II 18' wheels for GTI owners in Australia - even as a special order import? The 17" are called Denver here.

2/ If so, what is the cost, lead time for delivery and part number?

3/ If the answer is no - why not? I'm said to them that I was especially interested if it is a matter of the wheels not fitting Australian design rules. If that is the case then fitting them as a result of a private import might have insurance implications.

Let's see what they say...

I must say I'm very impressed with speed of VW Australia's response. Not more than 3 hours after I had asked the question I got the all answers....

Dear Ian,

Thank you for contacting us through the Volkswagen Australia Website.

In reply to your enquiry about the 18" wheels available to the European Market, I can advise you the wheels are not available via Volkswagen Group Australia or Australian Volkswagen Dealers. The reason for this is the 18" wheels you refer to were not homologated for the Australian Models and to add these wheels as an option or accessory mid-model year would increase delivery times for the GTI to approximately 2-2½ years.

After making some enquiries on your behalf, there is no reason that we can see to stop you privately importing the wheels for your GTI. Of course, we recommend you contact your insurance company to ensure you wouldn't be voiding your car insurance as these wheels would be classed as an after-market accessory.

Another thing to keep in mind is there would be no warranty on the wheels by Volkswagen Group Australia.

Kind Regards,

XXXXX

Volkswagen Customer Assistance.

www.volkswagen.com.au

So there you have it.

Now to find the best source of imports to Oz. I'll PM those who have specifically spoken about the 18' wheel issue here in Australia.

"to add these wheels as an option or accessory mid-model year would increase delivery times for the GTI to approximately 2-2½ years."

.....More than 2 years!!!!!! That's crazy. No warranty on the wheels? - But they are a VW OEM product. When you buy a second-hand/used VW, or any car, which is still within its 2/3 year warranty period you buy the remainder of the warranty as well!!

Insurance-wise - My brand new (7 miles delivery mileage only) but 'second-hand' Monza (Detroit?) 18s are included listed as a modification on my policy with no extra charge. The fact that they are a VW approved product as opposed to third-party aftermarket, is key.

Much as I still love the 17s rather than any third-party alloy, the 18s truly do look awesome and really should have been the only OEM standard imo. I can't see any disadvantage in them so far....Ride quality is excellent. Tyres are just a bit more expensive.

Good Luck, Oz 169144-ok.gif

Hi Red,

Yes, the email from VW does bring up some further issues. But the bottom line is that VW OZ won't supply the product. So that now is at least a given.

I don't understand about the 2 to 21/2 years but its not going to matter - we find a go around. The question of warranty was for the wheels only - again I understand what they are saying. Any wheels will have their own warranty and it won't affect the car.

The good news is that this is a VW Australia decision, not something forced on them by Australian design rules. This means we can go out and source the 18"s from where ever and not have to worry about their compliance for use in Australia. That's a big plus.

I've emailed people this afternnon in NZ and the Australian distributor of BBS products. The Monza II /Detroit are not shown as a catalogue item from BBS but I've asked.

Worse come to worse - I could buy them in the UK when I'm over there during May/June.

We move on.

BTW I'm still considering a Koni/Eibach package like yours.

They would make interesting hand luggage on the plane back from the UK!

I know that I tend to get enthusiastic about most things I do and that my Koni/Eibach package is no exception (have I mentioned Millteks recently? grin.gif), but everytime I drive a standard suspensioned GTI I'm not disappointed but when I get back in mine it feels better 'planted' as a drive.

Here's another pic (any excuse!!) to show the Koni/Eibach 5mm suspension drop (20mm from standard Mk5 Golf):

Koni5mm.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Much as I still love the 17s rather than any third-party alloy, the 18s truly do look awesome and really should have been the only OEM standard imo. I can't see any disadvantage in them so far....Ride quality is excellent. Tyres are just a bit more expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's better that the choice is there. I know you've recently changed your allegiance, but some people do actually prefer the more subtle appearance of the 17s. If 18s were standard, the basic price would go up as well.

Personally, I chose the 17s for practical reasons. If I was interested in purely cosmetics, it would have been the 18s.

I think the 18s look damn good on silver, but other colours don't look so good with 18s IMO (due to the different finish). It's always better to have a choice. Some people think the 18s look too dull on silver, for example.

Everything you are saying is totally valid, mate 169144-ok.gif. I agree that it's good we, as the customers, have a choice but it's just that I don't fully understand VW's thinking on this subject, apart from total cost perhaps. I wonder how late in the Mk5 GTI development that BBS evolved the Monza/Detroit 18s design.

No mention of Milltek's lately...I think you have been occupied with the 18"s.

Somehow I wasn't thinking of hand luggage, more Royal Mail, though taking them hand luggage might confirm their metal content plus we will have four hands - two for me and two for Sara. She wouldn't need to do any shopping of her own would she now??

Oh, I'm still very much 'in love' with my Millteks. I learnt recently in the R32 forum that they expand in length when they get hot (cue for some wit from petsy/Leman etc).

If Sara fancies a bit of shopping then you have to hit London on your visit over here. It would be great if your visit coincides with a TSN meet you could get to but probably not practical.

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's better that the choice is there. I know you've recently changed your allegiance, but some people do actually prefer the more subtle appearance of the 17s.

Personally, I chose the 17s for practical reasons. If I was interested in purely cosmetics, it would have been the 18s.

I think the 18s look damn good on silver, but other colours don't look so good with 18s IMO (due to the different finish). It's always better to have a choice. Some people think the 18s look too dull on silver, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im one of them lol, that thinks the 17s look better on the silver cars. I prefer the look of the 17s on the lighter colours, white, silver and red to a degree.

But it would be a dull world if everyone had the same views. cool.gif lol. grin.gif

The supple look of the 17s is what i like about them smile.gifthey blend with the rest of the car as a package. The 18s to me screem out at you and stick out like a sore thumb. I much prefer the blend and overall package look of a car. But many others don't as the sales of car with big wheels like BMWs etc shows. smile.gif

As long as Reds happy thats all that matters. 169144-ok.gif

bike.thumb.gif

That's a thought....

I meant the TSN meet not the expanding Millteks.

We are across from May 16 to June 8. Mostly based in Suffolk (near Bury) but have business and friends to connect with in London (and shopping), in Surrey, Southhampton, Warminister and Bristol. I think there is also a trip being planned for Darlington up north and there's also a family connection or two in the Herts and Oxfordshire area.

We get around a bit when we are in the UK. Last time I travelled nearly 2,400 miles in a month, that's around 3,800 km. In the other 11 months of the year back home I would do no more than about 12,000km per annum. The car is 12 months old in late June and at present I'm still a few km short of 10,000km. Being away in May/June means that it will probably have no more than 11,000km, about 7,000 miles on it in the first year.

As long as you are not standing still on a motorway, like out side Swindon on your way to Bristol as usual happens, UK roads and speeds are great. Generally better than here.

Hi Folks,

New to the site and thinking of new GTI purchase, noticed talk of car control courses, if you really want to learn how to drive can I suggest you pay John Lyon a visit. This man has it all car control, race craft etc but most of all he has amazing road craft, this is the absolute key to making safe, swift progress on the public roads. He also has access to places like MIRA and Millbrook depending upon which courses you end up doing with him. One warning though, he will take apart how you drive now and completely reconstruct it. Without date this the best money I have ever spent on cars and driving.

Best Wishes

Ian

Have now done more mileage on my new 18s and including some 3-fig stuff / dual carriageway blasts. The ride is slightly 'bumpier' but better described as 'soft ripple' and doubtless helped by the KoniFSD etc. In no way is it uncomfortable or harsh and the car does feel better planted. Tyres will be playing their part of course. It's incredibly difficult to know the exact differences from the 17s but suffice it to say that the 18s are def worth it in my opinion. Boy, do they look good shimmering in the moonlight....And they match the Millteks! grin.gif