chimaera power steering getting stiff

trevorwoodham

my 4.o chimaera with power steering has started to get stiff

more so in the straight ahead position. have checked possible causes like knuckle joints,upright bushes, steering

column and the like all of which appear ok. which suggests faulty pump or rack. power steering oil level is correct and no excessive signs of air. any suggestions please before I waste any money thankyou.

I assume you have also checked for leaks?

Bit of a messy one here! Get an assistant to sit in the car with the engine running and turn the steering on full lock either way.

Slacken the high pressure pipe on the pump. There are 2 pipes, the high pressure one is the one that is screwed in/held on with banjo bolt (depending on year).

Fluid should spray out. If it trickles you know the pump isnt pumping. If it does try the same again at the rack (best done on a ramp). On full lock you should get fluid under pressure from both steering rack pipes. If you don't you know the rack is binfood.

This method is effective but messy so don't do it on a new monoblocked drive! And remember to top the fluid back up after you have slackened each pipe.

pressure test done pump does seem to be producing pressure as oil came out banjo on high pressure side of pump at quite a rate. both ends of the rack did produce oil but not at the pressure I was expecting. I suppose if the rack is working though not at full capacity that was the kind of result you would get, So still inconclusive as to fault to9 some extent. I believe TVR car recondition the racks so thats probably the next step enless anyone has one for sale?

• 1 month later...