My RS4 test drive experiance

Riz

Thought it would be best to post a new thread rather than add to another just to share my experiance frown.gif

Had a planned test drive on sat which had been arranged over a week ago with the salesman,

As most will know im very excited about getting the RS4 so was looking forward to the test drive alot.

Upon arrival the wonderful phantom black beast was parked out front, the car had been sold so obviously the

new owner would be getting a very ermmm well abused car, more on this later.

Anyway I took my cousin down with me as he has never seen on in the flesh before... he started snapping away pictures

and movie clips later on as the salesman took it out.

Picture the scence, a football match is about to start and alot of people are walking about with police patrols etc on foot.

The salesman takes it out of the dealership and heads down a road nice and slowly..... then he floors it.. vrooooome 8,250rpms

gug gug gug as the exhaust rattles and the engine hits the limiter.... ermmm I was thinking 7000rpms should be the limit when

cold.... vroooome again gug gug gug limiter again... I was grinning like a big cat smile.gif although felt sorry for the owner....

Did alot of cruising on dual carridgeways 100-115mph etc and I knew I didnt make a mistake following my heart and not

my mind about getting the RS4.... I asked the salesman when the owner gets his RS4... to which he replied "when weve finished

with it" eeeek...

Anyway to cut along story short I COULDNT have a testdrive as im too young and their policy only covers people aged

30 and above.... I was pretty gutted frown.gif

I did manage to get 5 mins in their car park and took it out of the dealership but he seemed very un-easy about it..

I got the feel for the car which is just as I imagined.

I would have liked a proper test drive though, so I think I will probably give Audi Hq a ring as I think perhaps I deserve to be treated alittle better from a dealership.

Also im under the impression that my car will be here in the UK by the end of JUne as it is build week 17, but when I put

my deposit down I asked for the car to be on the 56 plate, September 1st. (asked them if they had a car for the 1st when I put

deposit down).

He indicated that they would rather they get rid of the car as soon as it arrives as they dont like holding onto them, but said

"we`ll cross that bridge when nearer to the time"!

Araaaaaaaagh

What do you think folks?

Riz frown.gif

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you should tell them to feck off.

You've ordered a £55k car though them and they won't let you test drive it - bollocks to that. Didn't they tell you about the age limit before hand? Find a better dealer.

Why if the car will be arriving here in June are you waiting till September? I know I would want the car as soon as possible. If it was arrive mid August then yes I might wait till Sept but not June. I wouldn't want my car sat around in a dealers compound for 2 months for it to be bumped and scraped.

[ QUOTE ]

I think you should tell them to feck off.

You've ordered a £55k car though them and they won't let you test drive it - bollocks to that. Didn't they tell you about the age limit before hand? Find a better dealer.

Why if the car will be arriving here in June are you waiting till September? I know I would want the car as soon as possible. If it was arrive mid August then yes I might wait till Sept but not June. I wouldn't want my car sat around in a dealers compound for 2 months for it to be bumped and scraped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but telling them the feck off wont really get my deposit back? and finding another RS4 to my spec wont be easy.

I originally didnt know the car would be here for end of June, I was told by the dealership when I asked them that they did have a allocation left for September delivery.

Just annoyed with them to be honest.

They didnt mention anything about me not being able to drive due to my age beforehand, they had over a week to check their insurance policy etc and they very well knew my age. He said "oh we only found out this morning and thats why we didnt tell you" SAUER0421.GIF

Do you think Audi UK could sort me a proper test drive out at another dealership? Who do I call?

Riz frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It might not be your age. They may be telling you that but its probably because the car has been sold. Could you imagine the fuss if it got damaged whilst out on a test drive.

[/ QUOTE ]Could be the case, but he did mention that he nearly crashed it the week before as he was giving it some.... and he didnt really drive "slowly" when he took us out in it...

Mmmmm I will have a chat with Audi UK and see what they can come up with....

My spec is as follows:-

Audi RS4 quattro - 56 reg - ETA September 2006

Sprint Blue, pearl effect

RS4 Bucket seats - Valcona Leather - QM

RS4 Carbon fibre inlays

Front centre armrest

Options:-

Sports suspension plus

Technology pack

Auto-dimming rear view mirror

Automatic air re-circulation

Automatically opening boot lid

Electric slide-and-tilt glass sunroof

RS4 Floor Mats

Anybody got Audi UK`s phone number?

Riz smirk.gif

Riz,

Just my opinion mate but you have got to test drive it before you take delivery. You cant get a feel for a car from the passenger seat, true you can feel how fast it is etc but you need to know what it feels like to drive etc. Although very unlikely you might find after a test drive its really not for you but at least you can cancel your order there and then. If you take delivery and then find out something like that it will be too late, you will have spent 55k on something you dont like.

Even if I was spending 5k on a car I would want to test it first to see if it was right for me.

I am sure that you will enjoy though 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

I can't beleive Riz (me ol mucker) that you have almost made the biggest life changing and financial commitment of your life (up to now) that will have serious consequences for the next 3-5 years on a car that you have not even test driven smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

Lets get this straight:

Have flat.

Seen new RS4.

Fell in love with RS4.

Sold flat to finance RS4.

Ordered RS4.

Now have doubts on RS4.

worst possible case: No flat, no RS4 and living with ma'n'pa driving an Astra van........... but loaded laugh.gif

Someone help me out here confused.gif

Riz ring up the dealer principle tell him your slightly confused that you were not allowed to have a test drive on a car that you have put a deposit down , especially as its a £55000+ vehicle.

Tell him you want a long test drive in it, if they dont, ask for your deposit back in full immediately.

I would be very surprised if there was an age restriction of 30 on their insurance, that's obscene. I have only ever once had a problem and that was with HR Owen Ferrari on the 430 when it came out, they said i had to be over 25... so i drove it somewhere else.

Secondly, have you checked your insurance policy, maybe you are covered on your own insurance, I have pulled this trick before and it worked...

The place i test drove the RS4 said they had allocations for October if you fancy waiting a bit longer, you'll get your plate too and a proper test drive, if you don't mind the travel...

Its the trouble it can get you in. Arrive at a bend going that bit too quick all the safety systems in the world aren't going to say you when you hit the tree.

If I was getting a car like this I would have to get some proper tuition. Otherwise however good the car is I would still be crap and wouldn't be getting the best out of it, which can only really be done on the track anyway.

I have done a few track sessions and I have to say the improvements it makes to my driving was considerable. Add to that my company sends us on defensive road driving courses which again help massively with avoidance more than anything which matters not a jot how powerful the car your driving is. 169144-ok.gif

Completely agree, i think im going to organise some of these advanced lesson. I have to put it to the insurance company first. Im gonna find out the details, but i have to put it to them in a way that these lessons will improve my driving. If i buy a high performance track car and want to track it, it could cause loads of problems. If i want to learn to drive it properly, it could be different matter...

But back to the point, the RS4 is very easy really, like the R32. From the test drive you will know as soon as yo put your foot down whether this is the car for you. Ragging it properly can come later...

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

No doubts... just wanted to rag its nuts off!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuition first Riz, tuition first - thats maybe the reason why the sales guy would not let you test drive it.

I make him right NONO3.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Well anyone buying a high performance vehicle costing £55000 will want to give it some stick .

Seeing as they have taken his deposit i think he sould atleast get to have a test drive dont you think ?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuition first Riz, tuition first - thats maybe the reason why the sales guy would not let you test drive it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well anyone buying a high performance vehicle costing £55000 will want to give it some stick .

Seeing as they have taken his deposit i think he sould atleast get to have a test drive dont you think ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree and disagree, from my point of view, I know Riz has no fast car/driving experience (I know he had the R32 but he never drove it anywhere near it's full ability) or tuition, so to get into an RS4 and 'rag it' is plain daft and looking for trouble with the nearest tree/roundabout/kerb/lampost etc etc....

From the salesman your point of view, yes he wants to sell the car and yes he can offer a test drive, but he must also weigh up the consequences of the drivers (and his own)actions if something were to go 'wrong'.....

I'm sorry Wopps, the RS4 is not an ideal car for a novice to handle/drive.

If you want to 'rag it or 'drive on the edge', then get some tuition, Daz has the ideal contact.

There is more to driving fast and safe than learning it in the retail park or on the local high street grand prix circuit. 169144-ok.gif

Of all my cars recently (the M3 & Boxster) the road tests were focused on 'my connection' with the car rather than just a 'rag it' test drive.

I knew what the cars could do before I went anywhere near them (mind you the Boxster did surprise, thats why I choose it above a 996).

The old saying, 'speed is nothing without control'.....

Think about it UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree and disagree, from my point of view, I know Riz has no fast car/driving experience (I know he had the R32 but he never drove it anywhere near it's full ability) or tuition, so to get into an RS4 and 'rag it' is plain daft and looking for trouble with the nearest tree/roundabout/kerb/lampost etc etc....

From the salesman your point of view, yes he wants to sell the car and yes he can offer a test drive, but he must also weigh up the consequences of the drivers (and his own)actions if something were to go 'wrong'.....

I'm sorry Wopps, the RS4 is not an ideal car for a novice to handle/drive.

If you want to 'rag it or 'drive on the edge', then get some tuition, Daz has the ideal contact.

There is more to driving fast and safe than learning it in the retail park or on the local high street grand prix circuit. 169144-ok.gif

Of all my cars recently (the M3 & Boxster) the road tests were focused on 'my connection' with the car rather than just a 'rag it' test drive.

I knew what the cars could do before I went anywhere near them (mind you the Boxster did surprise, thats why I choose it above a 996).

The old saying, 'speed is nothing without control'.....

Think about it UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

In Wopps defence I think he was refering that the RS4 is very unlike say a Ferrari when it comes to jumping into the drivers seat, the car "feels" safe and doesnt intimidate you like a Ferrari would for example, so a novice "if driven normally" should be ok, unless they went bonkers.

When I said "rag it" I didnt mean drive on the edge etc, I for one wouldnt have been taking the risks like the salesman did doing over 110mph on a dual carridgeway etc or though football supporter crowds etc.

And just to clarify that the salesman knew my age and had plenty of time to let me know that I couldnt have a long test drive, so my personal opinion it that it was just a excuse, I wouldnt be buying a 55k car if I felt it was too much for my abilities etc as that would be plain daft, I have a clean liecence and plan to keep it that way.

As I have said on a previous occasion I do plan to have some advanced tutition to "know" the cars limits away from public roads etc.

And as for this comment...

[ QUOTE ]

I know Riz has no fast car/driving experience (I know he had the R32 but he never drove it anywhere near it's full ability) or tuition, so to get into an RS4 and 'rag it' is plain daft and looking for trouble with the nearest tree/roundabout/kerb/lampost etc etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

You must know me very well to base your assumptions on "posts" alone, im not saying im the best driver in the world but to say I have no fast car/driving experiance is perhaps abit harsh, yes im just 25 and wont have anywhere as much experiance as yourself, and yes you offer very good advice on this forum 169144-ok.gif

And as for this one...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] So you knew what the cars could do without driving them? smashfreakB.gif How do you mean you knew what the cars could do before you went anywhere near them? Do cars scare you? jump.gif Any car is dangerous, even a 1.1 Nova in the wrong hands, the responsibility is down to the driver... mmmmm

Ive seen alot of posts now where it seems people are having ago at other "younger" members, more so towards Wopps, I can take the heat otherwise I wouldnt continue to post.

Lets all relax as this is a friendly forum..... sometimes it gets way too heated....

Anyway bottom line is I will get tuition and build on my experiance.

I will still have a word with Audi UK.

Riz 169144-ok.gif

Yeah the RS4 felt like a very 'safe' car. I never felt out of control in it and as the salesman said, you would have to be very stupid to get it out of control.

I never assumed that when Riz said 'rag it' he would mean he would drive it as quickly as the car could go wherever. You just cant do that on the road and to breach these speeds with or without advanced driver training is unacceptable. To get a good feel for the RS you don't need lessons, however once the car is bought and Riz wants to learn how to drive it to its full on a track that's a different matter.

And a salesman not letting you out in it because he hadn't had advanced lessons or experience in a performance car yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

And a salesman not letting you out in it because he hadn't had advanced lessons or experience in a performance car yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said that then ? not me UHOH7.GIF ( nor impiled)

And as Riz getting tuition, the good on yer - sound move 169144-ok.gif

Although Riz, the time I have met you did'nt strike me as being at one or comfortable with a 24obhp car, I seem to remember that you favoured polishing the exhasut pipes rather than putting you and your car to the limit. - no offence intended wink.gif

As far as me 'knowing' what the car can do before I test drive it is real enough.

The Boxster was a real head turner, I test drove a great number of 996's and the ones in my price bracket never really hit the spot, can't tell you why but they just did not.

After taking out the Boxster for only 20 mins or so I knew it was a far superior car than the similar priced 996's that I was looking at - and then I only looked at the car from a handling perspective.

However, when I got the car onto the track 2 weeks ago, it really came into it's own, it was only then that I realized what a truly great alround package the Boxster is.

That is why I freqent as many trackdays as I can - to fully enjoy and exploit the car.

Simply put, from my experience and those of whom I've been lucky enough to get rides with (on the track) the Porsche is a far better package that the M3 ?

Good luck on the car Riz 169144-ok.gif

R