Goodyear Tyres on a 130TDI estate

ncooke996

My 130 Sport Estate came with Dunlop Sports 205/55/16 W-rated which I found very good. Changed to Conti Sport Contact 2's which have lasted better on predominately twisty Mid Wales roads with no lack of grip.

Had a new set of Conti fitted last week and although I ordered W-rated was surprised to find V-rated were supplied.

Assured would be OK and didn't want to have to make the 70 mile journey again so accepted them. However needed confirmation that V-rated were OK! Rang two big tyre dealers who said if it came with W-rated that's what it should have.

Rang Continental technical today in West Drayton who initially agreed with the above but having checked their data said V-rated were OK. They reeled off the whole Passat range inc. the new Passat 2litre 140 which they reckon is on V-rated and that their listing showed mine to be OK too.

What advice have you been given on this as I've always had W-rated origional fittment on both Passat Sport Estates to date ('98 110 on 16" and my '52 130 on 16")?

Incidentally I paid £68 each fitted/bal etc.

[ QUOTE ]

Had a new set of Conti fitted last week and although I ordered W-rated was surprised to find V-rated were supplied.

Assured would be OK and didn't want to have to make the 70 mile journey again so accepted them. However needed confirmation that V-rated were OK! Rang two big tyre dealers who said if it came with W-rated that's what it should have.

Rang Continental technical today in West Drayton who initially agreed with the above but having checked their data said V-rated were OK. They reeled off the whole Passat range inc. the new Passat 2litre 140 which they reckon is on V-rated and that their listing showed mine to be OK too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be a good idea to check with your insurance company about this, as they're the ones who're going to refuse a claim if they don't agree with the tyre fitters. Then the arguements will start. I personally never downgrade tyres to save a few bob, don't see the point really as they do more work than any other part on the car to keep you on the road.

Also contact VW and see if they confirm its OK. Then get it in writing to wave at the insurance company should you need to. I personally don't see it as a modification , so to speak, serious enough to worry an insurance company but as Rusty says it would be worthwhile checking and perhaps getting them to confirm.

I nearly got done once (many years ago) for not having the correct tyres on my van. I'd put winter tyres on cos it was winter, and plod didn't like it for some reason. So I showed him the letter of confirmation from the insurance company stating it was fine and they knew about it etc. and that pleased him even less. However, there wasn't really anything else he could do so I got the producer for all the documents. It was a 6 month old van, I had the insurance details etc and my license, didn't need an mot, but he refused to check them there and then. Made me take 'em to the station who were less than impressed with his attitude aswell.

Just a little story for ya. crazy.gif

Thanks for the replies... I've always replaced tyres with OE kit. They are dunlop 200E 205/55 R16 W rated, the Goodyears are the same size but 65 each fitted rather than 75 each. so now the big Q is.... is it worth the £40 difference?

I would always swap an axle at the same time and have never liked mix and matching tyres. Just doesn't seem the right thing to do to me. I would call a manufacturer about changing just 2 and also with the size change.

I'll check but I have read that its an MOT failure so would be technically illegal on a newer car. If there was an accident I would expect the insurance company to refuse a claim as well. I understand what you say about performance cars but surely they have diff size wheels when they do that

DOH! This is what I read

If the front tyres on my car are smaller than the rears will it fail the MOT?

A: For MOT purposes, tyres on the same 'axle' must be of the same nominal size, aspect ratio and structure. This does not permit the use of 'space saver' type spare wheels.

I agree with Rustynuts, try to stay away from downgrades, I'm having a bit of a problem with what tyres to go for myself, I've ssen the Continental Premium Contact 205/60 R15 91W with Rim Protection on www.mytyres.co.uk but Continental vs Michelin, hmmm...Continental are £63.20 with p+p and Michelin are £72.90 with p+p. that's £10 each tyre, £40 all around. But how wise is it doing that..? smile.gif Personally I like the way Continental look plus Rim Protection but I also like to go with the Michelin's quality.... can't make my mind up!!!

Still have about 3 mm left on the tyres I'll give it a few more months.

"Currently, section 25 of C&U, which deals with speed ratings, is only included for Classes 6 (PSV) & 7 (Goods vehicles over 3,000kg up to and including 3,500kg Design GrossWeight)."

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/mot%20-%20issue%2018%20-%20jan%202003.pdf

I'd go with the continentals as they are pretty good. The Continental CP thingys on mine are actually not bad even though they aren't performance tyres. Stick pretty well in the wet.

Also, if you consider other makes: ive had Uniroyal 540's on a couple of cars and they were quite respectable - £60.30. And there is Dunlop SP Sport 01's for £56. (mytyres.co.uk)

My Passat used to have the NCT's on and it was fine. The inlaws have them on there Vectra V6 and they seem good enough.

I have put Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on mine from mytyres.co.uk for the money I would have them fitted every time.

Whats all this nonsense about a downgrade to a V rated tyre - how many Passat TDi estates exceed 149mph?! V rated will be just fine.

Oh come on thats just being silly.

If you were putting tyres on that had a lower rating than the car's top speed then fair enough, but he isn't.

What about the following then rusty:

You have specified dealer fit options above the standard spec on the car such as sat nav or optional alloys - do you declare that to the insurance?

Is every part on your car genuine VW? What about the brake discs/pads, wiper blades etc? If they are not identical to OE spec is that a modification...

You could go on like that all day - its common sense that would stop most people.

[ QUOTE ]

Is every part on your car genuine VW

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is, even down to the VW dealer fitted rear spoiler which is declared to the insurance company. The only exception is the Pentagon supaglass security film on the windows which is also declared to the insurers. Can I ask the same question of you. Is everything on your car genuine Peugeot, and if not, have you informed your insurance company. If you have non standard parts on your car and you haven't informed them, why not?

When you take out insurance cover, you make a statement to the effect that the car has not been modified from standard. They ask you the queston and you answer it. If the car's modified and they know it, then they may adjust your premium accordingly but they will not deny you insurance cover. If you make a false statement about the fact that your car has been modified then they will be within their rights to deny you a claim if you get discovered.

I trust you're happy with this situation? I know I am! 169144-ok.gif

My Peugeot has all mods declared, but thanks for your concern. You see the engine conversion brings the insurance rating down as the donor 405 has a lower rating and hence its only £200 a year to insure - Bonus! smile.gif

Anyway back on topic(ish) if we were talking about him swapping tyres to a different size etc then fair enough, but as long as the speed rating is suitable I dont see the problem.

Of course most "non-performance" mods are Ok but insurance companies will weedle out any info if it gives them and excuse. Not saying they would all do it for any reletively minor infringement but you never know. Downrated tyres are a moot point and the law indicates, with a nice dollop of grey area, that the tyre "must be suitable for the purpose of their use" this of course could mean a number of things. As the speed limit is 70 I don't think an insurance company could argue that not having tyres that can do 149mph constitutes a danger but it is in breach of their rules. Tell 'em, it won't cost you a higher premium.

Fitting non VW consumable parts does not constitute a modification as long as the parts meet any specification standards that VW state.