Insurance and Remaps

safety69

This question comes up every so often - I've had remapped cars myself in the past and always told the insurance company.

No matter what the advert says, a remap is detectable to the manufacturer or, more importantly, the insurance investigator - if they are looking for it.

I would always advise you are open and honest with your insurer - at the end of the day it will be you that is fecked if the worse happens and you get caught out.... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

yeh true, but what the chances of the insurance in event of accident looking for a remap if the car looks bog standard

[/ QUOTE ]

God forbid you have an accident - lets say you hit a pedestrian and leave them a quadraplegic requiring 24 hour a day care for the rest of their life. Your insurance company is looking at a multi million pound payout - belive me, they will examine every last detail.....

Apart from that, they won't pay you for your motor - you'll be car-less, skint and looking at being bankrupt for life.

For an extra few quid a year, its worth it 169144-ok.gif

Its always tempting not to declare a remap. It is possible that the insurance company might not find out. But if you have an accident then you are not only not covered for the cost of your car and the other party's car, you are also not covered for the cost of any injuries you may cause. Now, if you kill someone thats not so bad (in insurers terms crazy.gif) but if you create a severe injury then you are looking at a large large payout to provide rehab and care for the rest of that person's life. So, you get to explain to your insurer and the court why you didn't declare your mod and therefore made your insurance void? Then find a few hundred thousand quid or millions to pay the injured party. (and one of my clients stands to get about 8 million for injuries received in a car accident...)

I reckon for the extra bit it might cost on insurance each month it's a no brainer. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I reckon for the extra bit it might cost on insurance each month it's a no brainer. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif good to see we're on the same page 169144-ok.gif

saftey69 - seriously, remapping a 1.6 is going to do feck all, I'd save the money towards my next car 169144-ok.gif

If you do decide to go ahead with any mods, check the back of MaxPower (I'm not kidding!) - they usually have plenty of mod-friendly insurers listed 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

while we are on the subject of insurance, I am only TPFT, and i heard if i switch to Fully Comp, i can drive any car with permission 3RD party only, is this true, i hope so, i wont bother with tuning my car then. cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif usually yes, but never assume anything with insurance - you need to check the wording of your policy or give customer service a ring to check 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

while we are on the subject of insurance, I am only TPFT, and i heard if i switch to Fully Comp, i can drive any car with permission 3RD party only, is this true, i hope so, i wont bother with tuning my car then. cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif usually yes, but never assume anything with insurance - you need to check the wording of your policy or give customer service a ring to check 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately not for someone under 21, and not likely for someone under 25 either. This is also going to be phased out over the next 12-24 months.