Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nelson_R32

'Restoring' an Impreza...

4 posts in this topic

Me and my Best mate are planning on restoring his Dads 99 Subaru STi which has been sitting idle on his drive for over a year now.

We attached a set of jump leads to it yesterday and had a go at starting it up, It started first time 169144-ok.gif

However, mechanically it doesn't sound in too great shape. The MAF has gone and the one of the tensioners squeals like a bugger (it hasn't had a cambelt in about 5 years!)

I was just wondering what the Scooby people on here thought of what would need to be done on a car which hasn't been serviced for over 2 years and hasn't been moving for 1?

The most obvious ones are;

Full Service

Cambelt Change - If anyone knows someone in the Medway area who can do this cheap(ish) can you let me know wink.gif Allot of the tensioners are showing signs of corrosion. Anyone think its worth changing all of them or do you just go for the main Cambelt tensioner?

Brake Fluid Change

Pads/Discs stripped, clean and Emery Clothed

New MAF sensor - Are these exchange or do Subaru charge you a rediculous £250+ for one like VAG used to?

As I said, this will hopefully be our Summer project and we need as much Scooby help as we can get to do this grin.gif

Nelson,I am having new shocks and springs fitted on myA4 on Wednesday and i will ask if my man will do belt on your scoob, he does lots of performance cars i.e.cosworths etc and he is reasonable with charges.