Select Automotive experiences

Inzaghi

Hi everyone lol.gif,

The excitement can now grow some more. I'm all but decided on spec and after a few chats with my not so local (but extremely good) dealer I'm ready to order. Of course this is pretty big for me as my first brand new car.

I'm basically after a few comments on the above supplier, customer service in general - how the pick up went - any staff you can recommend - if you took out the currency or bank transfer protection etc. etc.

To clarify, I think I'll go with select to spend the pennies on increased spec. Although I have been impressed with the dealer so it's still an outside consideration.

Thanks in anticipation of you useful responses.

There's a few on here that have used Select, myself included.

I'm now on my second GTI, the first was from a local dealer and the current one from Select. I'd say there's little difference in buying experience, if anything Shaun (Select) kept me more informed along the way than the dealer did. And without doubt, Select knew more about the car and options you can get than the dealer!! They also found out about getting the special order colour for me.

So positives from me.

I went with Euroimports in the end - they are about £500 more than Select but the advantages are - 1. free cruise control 2. pay in sterling only when you have seen and approved the car 3. fixed price (the exchange rate is fixed by Euro's and they pay for the car upfront) 4. they do all the paperwork such as registration, vat etc.

Overall I felt that £3000 was a good saving and going through Select would have been biting off a bit more than I was prepared to chew - extra hastle for another £500 saving.

That said, Select seem to be 1st class also. I just felt I was getting a good saving without having to worry about exchange rates, buying in euros and the other paperwork.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes that's true, but I didn't have to fill out any forms, I just have to send the cheque for the VAT to HMRC direct. On a plus side, they calculated VAT less than I had expected and used a better exchange rate than what I bought at! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha! So your already missing bits out!

I did plenty of research on this and there is plenty more to do if you buy through select - and fixing a the exchange is a gamble, you won, but its not guaranteed to favour you.

As I mentioned before, I think Select are great too, but its not fair to someone asking for advice to omit to mention all the facts. Euro are simpler to deal with, for an extra £500. I don't think that is debatable, frankly.

Glad your chuffed with Select, nonetheless.

I can vouch for Select. I wrote a mammoth post about them ages ago (December?).

I found them very helpful and informative, and it happened that they got back to me quicker than Euroimports (who were my other option).

The advantage with Select is that you get an invoice direct from VW Germany, detailing exactly all the costs and where the money is going. With Euroimports, you do save on the extra paperwork, but there may be hidden costs that you don't know about (plus cruise control is cheaper as a retrofit!)

just my tuppence. Either way I think you're in safe hands.

Thanks everyone. beerchug.gif

All useful and valuble information. I've read a fair few posts over the last six months so always had a good idea. It was the exchange rate that I found interesting, having looked back at this over the last year or so you usually do better not fixing it. The cost to do so on what is one of the cheaper cars they provide IMO means it's a little much.

I think select have my business. Now I just have to choose my colour, arrrghhhh smashfreakB.gif

I contacted them both and went with euroimports.co.uk.

My reasoning.. Well it was all done for me, ok slightly more expensive. But to be honest the main thing was, when I picked up the phone there was ALWAYS someone on the end of the phone, be it Richard or Carolyn. Not having to speak to an irish call centre first and then getting transferred and someone not pick up the call in an AGE.

It's all about the little things. Euroimports have taken me every step of the way and explained it all in huge amount of detail so I know exactly what to expect and what is happening and you cannot fault that service. They are very busy, however always willing to answer your needs.

'Either way you are in safe hands'.

Agree. The only people who question importing are the ones how have never fully research it/done it. These two companies are 1st rate.

I saved over £3000 and that is ON THE ROAD after paying Euro for their fees, delivery, plates, valet, tax etc.

I then spent about £500 on extra year warranty, super valet and a set of gti mats with the red logos!

Thats £2,500 saved. No small print.

So of the people who bought through Select:-

Did Select register you with VW UK?

Did you get the VW Assistance card direct from VW UK because Select had notified them of the purchaser of the GTI?

I got both through having bought with Euroimports - they had notified VW UK of my car and the rest came through as a result.

For Select buyers - if not - you should notify VW UK of your car and its details and then you will be notified in the event of recalls etc.

Also see another thread detailing how "clean" - not - their GTI was on delivery by Select

It was the little extra care and attention that made me go with Richard and Carolyn at Euroimports 169144-ok.gif

The Select experience is pared down to provide the car at the cheapest possible price..... The extra £500 at Euroimports is evident in quality differences between the two - and yes, you do pay for this, even when the cars are apparently identical at delivery.

Which you go for is to a large extent a price versus quality decision ECLIPSe.gif

Similar thread analogy - do you shop at Tesco or Waitrose ROLLEY~14.GIF either way you are in safe hands jump.gif

I also bought with Select, it was no hassle and a very good price. I had to wait a bit longer than expected, but a lot better than UK dealers at the time. Even got a nice piccy of my baby when she was waiting in germany for me (although that made it worse).

• 1 month later...

Half-way through my order, in terms of action to be taken.

(Deposit sent to the German dealer)

So far it's fine. A tiny amount of chasing has been required but maybe that's just my enthusiasm to have everything done yesterday.

Would certainly recommend Select.

I suppose at the end of the day if you want a particular car of certain colour and options and are prepared to wait you will have to order a car from a broker like Euro or Select and others but if you want a car more immediate and instock and want to look at what you are buying its Motorprovider and may be if you are lucky they have exactly what you want...

[ QUOTE ]

This thread must be painful reading for anyone connected to Motorprovider. Haha!

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, how random was that comment?? You really have got a problem with MP dont you. Is that because you didnt use them and spent £500+ more than the rest of us for the same car?

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm currently in talks with Select in Germany and not their UK office but they seem to have come up with a good price. Euroimports never replied to email.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me. It took another enquiry to provoke a response, and when they did quote me it was for a completely different spec than what I had enquired about, I asked them to change and they still got it wrong so I went to Select.

That said, I've heard of lots of good reports about Euroimports, I must have been an unlucky one.