Alfa Brera

jimdiesel

Further to my post last week, I had my demo in an Alfa Brera. The car I drove was a 2.4JTD (diesel) in SV spec.

Looks - I will let the pictures speak for themselves, but I love the look of this car. It seems a lot smaller in real life, and I have yet to find a bad angle. The car was finished in flat black, and this seems to suit the car well.

Engine - The 2.4 diesel has 200ps and performs very well. The manufacturers figures are 141mph and 0-62mph in 8.1 seconds. As with most diesels the numbers don’t really tell the story. The car never felt blisteringly fast, but its overtaking stonk was excellent. It definately is not as quick as my A6 , but I wasn’t expecting it to be. Once rolling there is no clatter, and the engine makes a nice 5cyl warble under load. I think this engine suit’s the car very well, though some people wont be able to associate the looks with the typical diesel clatter on start up.

Chassis - The ride was excellent, even with the optional 18’’ wheels. It is firm but never uncomfortable. The steering is the typical highly geared Alfa setup, but it lacks the twitchiness of previous Alfa’s I have driven. The chassis seemed very stable, but with a nice light agile feel. The balance felt very neutral, even under strong acceleration (this is a FWD car unlike the 3.2 petrol which is 4WD). It was dry today, so traction was never an issue, and you could put the full 400NM down in 1st and 2nd with no problems. The sales guy said there was a touch of torque steer on greasy roads.

Interior - The build quality seems to be very good, this car was totally silent in terms of rattles etc. The dash is a direct lift out of the new 159 saloon, but even so is very stylish. The instruments though are rather over styled and hard to read. My biggest problem is with the headroom, but there again I am 6’6’’so I cant blame the car to much.

I am very impressed with the car (and the dealership ) and am now seriously considering one. I will get the chance to drive a LHD Mk2 TT next month, so will make a firmer decision after then.

Excuse my ramblings and enjoy the pics.

791574-brera004_edited-2.jpg

post-8745-137914355643_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do think thats a stunning looking car. But I arrived home yesterday to some lovely shiny promo pics of the new TT from Audi and I still prefer that. grin.gif

One thing about the Brera I could never live with - the numberplate not being in the centre. I am incredibly symmetrical and cannot cope with things that don't balance or look equal. crazy.gifROLLEY~14.GIF

But a nice review Jim, amazing you get a free child with the test drive too. 169144-ok.gif

Keep us posted! ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Talking of Alfa's, I still think the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen - and they're supposed to be very close to saying they'll actually make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

salon04_033.jpg

smlove2.gif

It is going ahead. They hope to get a working model using the 4.7L Maserati V8 by the Paris motorshow in September, and only 500 (250 of a hard top and 250 of a spyder) will be built as Sergio Marchione confirmed on the 12th.

CONCORSO282.JPG

Yours for about £83,000 to £97,000

Back to the Brera. If your going to get the 2.4 JTD wait a while, as it will eventually get the same 4WD system that's on the 3.2 petrol.

I think that this car is stunning, and is even better in the metal. But I still hate the silver bits of that steering wheel! But it's nice to hear that the quality seems to of improved both in car and dealership. I may have to have a trip over to my local Alfa dealer to see if I can have a play. 169144-ok.gif

Jim

Do you think the headroom would be much better in a lower spec car, without the glass roof? I'm 6'1"

Did this one have the leccy blind?

Does the drivers seat "Lower" as in your A6 and my Golf?

I too am considering one of these, as the looks are enough to buckle my knees. Will be waiting till next year though for used.

[ QUOTE ]

Jim

Do you think the headroom would be much better in a lower spec car, without the glass roof? I'm 6'1"

I too am considering one of these, as the looks are enough to buckle my knees. Will be waiting till next year though for used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of the Brera models have the glass roof, however strangely on the base model there is no blind, just normal headlining. I have been told that this improveds the headroom alittle as there is no runner mechanisum. The problem is not so much the headroom, but the fact the blind mechanisum is against the side of your head. I found I couldnt lean to the right to gain visablity for overtakes etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of the Brera models have the glass roof, however strangely on the base model there is no blind, just normal headlining. I have been told that this improveds the headroom alittle as there is no runner mechanisum . The problem is not so much the headroom, but the fact the blind mechanisum is against the side of your head. I found I couldnt lean to the right to gain visablity for overtakes etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimspeak??? grin.giftongue.gif169144-ok.gif