New car broken down - advice needed please !

JonnyGTi

Oh dear blush.gif

Car starts and then immediately dies, can't rev the engine in the few seconds that the car engine runs confused.gifsportifs2.gif

The car is a parallel import and I hav'nt got VAG Breakdown Assistance Tel. numbers etc.

I presume I'm still covered but would appreciate the tel. number and any other advice about getting a parallel import registered with VW UK.

Cheers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know VW UK's customer care line is 0800 711 811, not sure if they can help? Just looked on their website and to quote :-

'What roadside assistance do I have on my imported Volkswagen?

Personal imports originating from Western Europe will generally be covered by a service called "Mobility Guarantee" from the country which supplied the car. Mobility Guarantee is limited in terms of the cover and duration it provides (12 months) and details can be found in the vehicle information wallet. Generally this service covers failure due to mechanical or electrical failure of the vehicle and does not provide help for such things as punctures, accident recovery, out of, or wrong fuel or lost keys. We therefore strongly recommend that you purchase our comprehensive Volkswagen assistance cover. For more information, please contact 0500 275 577'

As for registering your car, I had to do this too, you take the service book with the sticker inside and your V5 with the vehicle details on to your nearest dealer, they then take copies and register your car on the UK database, which I assume means if there are any recalls regarding the GTi, they can contact you.

Hope some of this is helpful, sorry to hear about your car SAUER0421.GIF

Would be interested to know exactly what happened in case its anything we have to watch out for

Thanks VeeDub..looks like I may not have VW Assistance then.

Section 1.2 of my wallet booklet is not there at all!

The 0500 number is 0800-2000 hrs only so I best ring in the morning.

Been driving fine all day, got home, had tea, popped out to put car in garage and just died on me :-(

[ QUOTE ]

Finaly a negative experience when importing. I think your in the dung.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, thats a nice way to speak to a fellow TSN'er

Why do most people seem to want people who have made a saving by importing to come back down to earth with a thump confused.gif

As VW themselves in the past have sold imported cars to meet huge demand here, I can't see why they wouldn't help? After all, aren't all Golf GTi's made in Wolfsburg? As its a parallet import, surely there'd be no issues with it not being UK spec? Just curious as mine is imported too from Holland, and I had cruise control as standard, as well as elec adjust on my passenger seat too

Tis a bummer indeed, I'd be absolutely mortified to be honest.

I too am in the same boat, enjoyed the financial benefits of purchasing a GTi much cheaper through import, but when all goes pair shaped, I do wonder if it was a wise move.

I do hope you manage to get yours sorted, seems odd for it to fail so spectacularly smashfreakB.gif

'Generally this service covers failure due to mechanical or electrical failure of the vehicle and does not provide help for such things as punctures, accident recovery, out of, or wrong fuel or lost keys.'

That sounds fine to me - it's a a genuine breakdown, you've not lost your keys! I'm sure they'll come out. You're within 12 months.

Don't listen to this 'you're in the dung.gif because you've got an import' stuff NONO3.GIF

Very worst case scenario is that you'll have to arrange getting to a dealer yourself.

[ QUOTE ]

Dont wish anything bad on anyone but when you hear of the big savings it makes you think "why didnt i do that" then something like this happens and it justifies paying list.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a load of dung.gif so no one buying at list and in the UK ever breaks down?! Nice approach Billy!

Jonny, you should still have some cover, I had an imported vehicle a few years ago that failed to start and the main dealer sorted it. Hope you get it sorted. 169144-ok.gif

Billy... if you paid list then laugh is on you too, did you not do some bargaining? It can save you a few quid grin.gif

I am sure your comments are not really helping Jonny tonight - we are all in the EU and getting the same car, the lengths that some people are prepared to go to save some money is up to them. Just Thank you don't live in Ireland - we really get screwed on price and no importing for us as tax man gets you every which way.

Paddy

I agree that its good that people post problems, but I think your initial reply to a fellow GTi owner was a bit harsh and not in the spirit of things here generally.

I'd almost classify your reply as 'sour grapes' at having to pay full list price? Correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure you'd react with equal venom if someone posted a similar reply to you had your GTi decided to give up the ghost 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Jonny, you should still have some cover, I had an imported vehicle a few years ago that failed to start and the main dealer sorted it. Hope you get it sorted. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with lottiefox here, I had an imported TT before I had the GTi, and my coil packs failed on the engine, and Audi sorted it out for free, including Roadside assistance to get me home, which I was well impressed with, hence I shall be buying a TT Mk2 in a couple of years time 169144-ok.gif

You decided if you like the new TT or not now Lottie? hehe 169144-ok.gif

To back up what Lottie is saying, the law exists across the EU - you are covered no matter where you buy the car, if VW UK were to try and stop you getting cover then that would be classed as running a cartel and would be monopolistic on VW UK's part. They might make it more difficult for you to get cover in order to try and protect their UK dealers but there is no way they can void your warranty - especially in first 12 months as by law you have to get amn absolute minimum 12 month cover.

Sleep well... you will be sorted in the morning 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

To back up what Lottie is saying, the law exists across the EU - you are covered no matter where you buy the car, if VW UK were to try and stop you getting cover then that would be classed as running a cartel and would be monopolistic on VW UK's part. They might make it more difficult for you to get cover in order to try and protect their UK dealers but there is no way they can void your warranty - especially in first 12 months as by law you have to get amn absolute minimum 12 month cover.

Sleep well... you will be sorted in the morning 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said that man jump.gif

I have a parallel import GTI which I purchased through Allbrandsnew and collected in March 06. After 2 weeks and approx. 1000miles, the exhaust warning light came on. I booked my car into local dealer for them to check it out. They noted it was an import but didn’t indicate this would present any problems; I did have to let them take a copy of my VO5 registration document. After 2 days the dealer traced the cause of the problem to be the fuel pump. However fuel pumps are out of stock at VW and manufacturer. Originally I was told it will take 10-14days to obtain. The car has now been in the dealers 6weeks and still no sign of the fuel pump. I received a call from VW today to say it isn't expected to arrive in UK until mid-May. They have provided me with a courtesy car (Golf 1.6) will I wait for mine to be repaired and don’t appear to be making any discrimination because it is an import. So JonnyGTI you should be okay.

I am getting very frustrated waiting especially after reading all you raving about how good your cars are on this site, the 1.6 just doesn’t do it for me!! However on the positive side I think VW are treating me exactly the same as if I bought the car through a UK dealer unless you guys can tell me differently?

[ QUOTE ]

I have a parallel import GTI which I purchased through Allbrandsnew and collected in March 06. After 2 weeks and approx. 1000miles, the exhaust warning light came on. I booked my car into local dealer for them to check it out. They noted it was an import but didn’t indicate this would present any problems; I did have to let them take a copy of my VO5 registration document. After 2 days the dealer traced the cause of the problem to be the fuel pump. However fuel pumps are out of stock at VW and manufacturer. Originally I was told it will take 10-14days to obtain. The car has now been in the dealers 6weeks and still no sign of the fuel pump. I received a call from VW today to say it isn't expected to arrive in UK until mid-May. They have provided me with a courtesy car (Golf 1.6) will I wait for mine to be repaired and don’t appear to be making any discrimination because it is an import. So JonnyGTI you should be okay.

I am getting very frustrated waiting especially after reading all you raving about how good your cars are on this site, the 1.6 just doesn’t do it for me!! However on the positive side I think VW are treating me exactly the same as if I bought the car through a UK dealer unless you guys can tell me differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds encouraging, nice post Andy beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Dont wish anything bad on anyone but when you hear of the big savings it makes you think "why didnt i do that" then something like this happens and it justifies paying list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saved £3000 on my car from Euroimports, they do all the registering with VW UK, which was done inside a month. I do a fairly high mileage so the 3rd year warranty is useless to me as it is only up to 60,000 miles, and in my experience the 'imports' are fetching near on UK money anyway, plus the PDI is probably done to a higher standard, as we all know what english dealers are like.

Up until the third year I have all the benefits of a UK car, and then if I wanted I could buy a third year 'dealer' warranty, thus making it identical to a UK car.

They are all 'imports' after all!!!!!!

169144-ok.gif

Well I've rung VW Assistance and they said I'm not covered at all, and I should contact the company I bought the car from to see if they have any roadside breakdown cover in place.

I then rang VW Customer Services and they said exactly the same. I asked about the basic mechanical and electrical roadside assistance cover but they would'nt have it.

Once I get it to a VW dealer though they did confirm it would be covered under the full VW warranty.

Jonny if you were nearer I'd come and visit you with my trusty AA card (my Mazda needs the back up!)!! Its the driver not the car thats covered so I am sure we could get you dropped off at the dealers! Do you know anyone who may have an AA or RAC card...? wink.gif