120d first thoughts...

PeterS

At the risk of some general TSN style 1 Series derision 1.giftongue.gif , I thought I’d post a mini review on our 120d SE, delivered at the beginning of the week. Ordered at the end of last year to accommodate a change in my partners commute from 4 miles each way to nearer 40, delivery was unfortunately delayed by 8 weeks due to a rather late change of colour on our part… Well, I say ‘our’ part… grin.gif

To put a bit of context around the choice, the original criteria were for a safe, reliable and quick-ish car for covering upwards of 25,000 miles per year on mainly A/B roads in a cost effective manner. The car is unlikely to ever have more than 2 people in it on long journeys, but for those off-site lunch meetings smirk.gif the ability to carry 4 people for short distances was a necessity. The high mileage pretty much guaranteed we’d go for diesel. The target was also to try not to lose more than £10k in depreciation the 3 years we planned on having the car, which also favoured the diesel option. We considered the A3 2.0 TDI (much nicer interior but nasty wood trim on the SE, noisier engine, expensive since you need a Sport/S Line to avoid the wood!!), Golf GT TDI (no car to test drive, no dealer follow up), Mégane dCI 130 (discounted on basis of poor residuals, though actual looks/interior/performance are fine; handling is dull though). The Astra and Focus were ruled out by my partner on the grounds they were ‘family’ cars (I know, I know, so are the Golf and Mégane, and arguably all of the cars we considered, in that case but since when has logic had anything to do with car choice… grin.gif), though both would probably have been a more ‘sensible’ and cost effective choice ZZZ.gif

First things first, the car is a fairly lightly optioned. We both agreed that piling on the options didn’t make sense, and was bound to trash the residuals in percentage terms. So although sat-nav, xenons and leather would have been nice we weren’t prepared to spend (or lose…) the extra £3.5k or so these would have cost. Instead we stuck to options that would make the car easier to live with on a day to day basis. The car is in SE trim, colour is Quartz blue, with the standard cloth interior. We went for an upgraded stereo (to BMW ‘Professional’) since the standard one is very average, comfort pack (auto dim rear view mirror, rain sensor, auto lights, front arm rest – all for £210), 3 folding headrests in place of 2 non-folding (only £25), CD Prep (£35) and Star Spoke style 140 wheels (£150) since the standard SE ones look like plastic hub caps IMO Flush.gif. With hindsight (already… blush.gif) the bluetooth kit might have been a useful option as well, but it’s expensive @ over £500. Cruise control was also a silly omission crazy.gif, and not that expensive. The CD prep, though cheap, is probably unnecessary as there’s an Ipod connector in the arm rest anyway…

Car appears well put together, as you’d expect, with excellent panel fit outside, though some of the interior plastics are fairly low rent. I actually like the looks of the One series, and judging by their popularity round here others aren’t put off by them either. Interestingly, in 2002 we bought a then new MINI Cooper, and they became a very common site of the streets of our Sussex town within a year or so of its launch; a lot of them seem to have been replaced by 1 series now so the BMW master plan seems to be working FIREdevil.gif However, most drivers here are probably somewhat older than their target demographic EEK2.GIF

To drive it’s pretty much as I expected from the test drive, though the ride seems a little more forgiving than I remember. I assume that RFT tyre technology is constantly improving, but wonder if BMW are listening to the negative feedback on the ride of these models and are making ‘running’ changes to the suspension settings? The sales guy I deal with couldn’t/wouldn’t verify this, but it definitely seems to ride better than I remembered. The ride was one of the reasons we didn’t go for the ‘Sport’ trim, which is a very similar price but trades some of the comfort items for sports seats/suspension. In light of the feel of our SE now, I’d be interested to see what the latest M Sport cars ride like. Of course, it could be that after 6 months of the 535d I’m used to the appalling ride of the runflats yelrotflmao.gif

The engine is still tight, and feels a little flat, but I’m sure it needs a few thousand miles to loosen up. It’s a little noisier than I remember as well, but hopefully that’s just the newness. Economy is not great - with just 300 miles on the clock the OBC is showing 37mpg, but it’s the first tank of diesel. I’m hoping it’ll reach low 40’s fairly soon, and in a year or so when it has 20k+ miles on the clock I’d expect to see high 40’s in normal A/B road use. Despite the low mileage, pick up is still strong, and it gathers speed swiftly – perfect for A road overtaking ECLIPSe.gif. I think in a year’s time once it's racked up some miles it’ll really fly! The handling is just as I remember though, and is what, along with the engine, really made the car for us on the test drive. I’m pleased to say that so far (and I’ve only driven about 20 of the 300 miles it’s done…) we’re pleased with the choice 169144-ok.gif

Pics will follow, when I’ve had a chance to take some (and to buy my flak jacket tongue.gif)

Peter

Take no notice of what the anti-1-series mob say Peter. They're a fabulous car in 120d guise.

The 120d Sport I drove was a pocket rocket and handled like a go-kart. It was superb. The ride wouldn't have bothered me because I like a car to feel like it's feeding back the road to me and I enjoy country lane blatts on a weekend - so the more feedback the better.

I agree the interior of the 1-series could have been better, but the build remains top notch and the driving characteristics continue to keep BMW head and shoulders above Audi where total driver satisfaction is concerned IMO.

As I've said before, if it suited my requirements I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 120d. 169144-ok.gif

I know, MrMe - all tongue in cheek grin.gif. We're happy with the decison, and I respect other peoples view of the car jump.gif. For what we wanted I don't think we could have made a better choice, and I'd be happy to drive it every day if I could.

Peter

I have had my 118d sport for 5 months now and almost 10,000 miles now. Very pleased with it, it’s excellent for motorway mile munching and when required can be a hoot on some B roads.

I will be changing to a 120d or 130i before Christmas as I would like some more poke although I still think the 118d engine is perfectly adequate for ‘normal’ driving.

Mine has never missed a beat and still feels nice and tight.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

...Just for your information the aluminium trim is a NCO on the SE A3, and yes the wood is not to everyones taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, we weren't told that frown.gif Mind you, am I the only one who finds the lack of product knowledge of most car salesman immensely irritating? And it's not brand specfic - the BMW guys are no better than many, and worse than quite a few sportifs2.gif

Peter

[ QUOTE ]

I have had my 118d sport for 5 months now and almost 10,000 miles now. Very pleased with it, it’s excellent for motorway mile munching and when required can be a hoot on some B roads.

I will be changing to a 120d or 130i before Christmas as I would like some more poke although I still think the 118d engine is perfectly adequate for ‘normal’ driving.

Mine has never missed a beat and still feels nice and tight.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to hear 169144-ok.gif Just out of interest, what's the fuel economy like after 10k miles - I guess it's nicely loosened up now!

TBH, the 118d would probably have been more than good for what it'll be used for - 122bhp is hardly underpowered in car of its size!! The difference in price was not that great though, and I expect to see at least some back in 3 years...

Peter

MPG is not great; the VAG engines are more frugal. I found it improved a bit after 1,000 miles and then again after 4,000.

I’m averaging 42MPG on runs which are usually a mix of motorway and B roads with an average speed of about 80. This can drop to 28 – 32 when doing a VERY congested city commute.

I have also spent time in an A3 (about 2,500 miles) and can confirm that A3 defiantly has a higher quality cabin and the 2.0TDI is significantly faster than the 118d however there is also significantly more road noise and I also found the ride extremely harsh on the S-Line model. The standard Audi sound system was also superb 169144-ok.gif

My BMW dealer (BMW Aberdeen) was surprisingly knowledgeable when you actually got talking to them however I really felt that they didn’t want to give me the time of day and it was a real challenge to get them to give me a test drive. I can accept that me being 21 at the time may have contributed to this and reading the tales of some people messing dealers about I can’t really blame them.

Well done on the new car, but it seems such a shame that you rejected the superior car due to the salesman not letting you know that the wood trim could be changed FOC!

Keep the A3 in mind for when you realise how bad the 1.gif is 169144-ok.gif (no offence meant - to keep MrMe happy grin.gif)

• 2 weeks later...

I’d be interested to know in what areas you think the A3 is superior to the 1 series.

I will concede that the quality of some of the interior plastics is better in the A3 and there is a bit more space (but not a lot) in the Sportback than the 1 series, but I’m struggling to find anything else.

The problem with the A3 (and the A4 come to that) is that they are soooo boring to drive and need to be in S Line trim (with a teeth shattering ride) to make them look good. We looked at the A3 as I was fairly sure that’s what we’d end up buying, but my wife wasn’t having any of it before we’d even drive one, which was the point where I agreed with her! I think they look smart in S Line trim, but she thought they looked dull.

I’ve driven a couple of A3’s now and an A4 2.0TDI and they all felt heavy (particularly nose heavy), had dull responses e.g. steering, had a poor ride, were very poorly equipped for the price etc.

Horses for courses and all that and I can see why some people like them

Incidentally, I chose a Passat 2.0TDI Sport over a A4 2.0TDI SE because (imho) it was a much better car to drive, is a lot quieter, rides better, felt much more modern inside, was much better equipped etc etc.

Some people don’t like the look of the Passat and if you’re talking about a Silver SE model on 16” wheels then I’d agree, but in a dark colour on 17” wheels with lowered suspension, they look fantastic.

Back on topic....I think the 120D SE is a really good car and may well have bought one if we hadn't been seduced by the 130.

[ QUOTE ]

Well done on the new car, but it seems such a shame that you rejected the superior car due to the salesman not letting you know that the wood trim could be changed FOC!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, only just spotted this blush.gif TBH, if the car was just for fast cruising, the Audi might have been a better bet - I never thought I'd say this, and I've had a few Audis, but the ride on the A3 is better than the BMW grin.gif The handling is not though, IMO, and as it happens it'll be used on fastish A/B roads primarily, so the extra grunt will be useful for overtaking.

But they are both good cars, and if the 170PS version of the A3 TDI had been available in the A3 the decision would have been much tougher I think 169144-ok.gif

Peter

Humble Pie...

Should have read post 1st before going into instant TSN 1 series abuse mode. Too much to drink maybe .... err no that's not possible beerchug.gif

If you like the look and are happy with compromised rear space then sure it will suite. Does have a cracking diesel engine 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Humble Pie...

Should have read post 1st before going into instant TSN 1 series abuse mode. Too much to drink maybe .... err no that's not possible beerchug.gif

If you like the look and are happy with compromised rear space then sure it will suite. Does have a cracking diesel engine 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries - have another drink beerchug.gif I personally think the 3 looks worse; it's so bland - something you couldn't accuse the 1 of!! And we have the 5 for space 169144-ok.gif

Peter

[ QUOTE ]

I personally think the 3 looks worse; it's so bland - something you couldn't accuse the 1 of!! And we have the 5 for space 169144-ok.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. Unless it's in a dark colour with big wheels and preferably the M Sport model, the new 3 series is as dull as ditchwater. You also need a leather interior to make the interior look as it should for the money. The touring is nicer than the saloon, but the same rules apply.

My next door neighbour has a 320D SE Touring in a silvery/blue colour and I really don't like it. It looks even more boring when parked next to our 130 grin.gif

We have the Passat for space, which is pretty much as big inside (and in the boot) as the 5, E Class and A6, so it isn't an issue for use either.

So, I don't like all BMWs, but I do like the 1, 5, 6 and Z4. But they all need big wheels to look ‘right’ imho.

Have you seen the dreadful wheels on the 3 series ES models? Jeez..... NONO3.GIF

We have the Passat for space, which is pretty much as big inside (and in the boot) as the 5, E Class and A6, so it isn't an issue for use either.

• 2 months later...

and finally, one of the interior.

Car has now done around 3k miles, averaging 48mpg. Does exactly what we wanted it to do, and is great fun to drive. The ride is far better than that of the 5, though the short wheelbase makes it a little less easy to 'drift' neatly before DSC cuts in...

Peter

post-539-137914370356_thumb.jpg